Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Forum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 08:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We've just upgraded the forum software - hopefully all is working fine - but if not let us know!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Forum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:13 

Looks good! I note that trolls can now be ignored by adding them to your foes list.... :clap: Guess which two users were added to mine straight away.... :D

The only issue I've noticed so far is that quoted smileys aren't rendered (the bbCode itself is quoted instead). Pretty minor though in the general scheme of things. Generally the interface seems to be an improvement, though it will of course take some getting used to. Thanks for taking the time to do this Graeme, and I hope it didn't give you too many anxious moments! ;)

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:35 
User

The smileys WILL be rendered once you have logged in!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:53 
Life Member
Life Member

I'm a member of another forum where that is the case; not unheard of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Looks like you've done a good job.

Site very readable on my Blackberry (this reply sent from it)

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:54 
Life Member
Life Member

What's the little red star on the symbol by some threads (such as this one) mean?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
What's the little red star on the symbol by some threads (such as this one) mean?

It means you've posted in that thread :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:50 
User

I cant get used to the authors name and avatar not being on the left - it is the only forum I have been on where this is the case!
Is it to get us used to Continental driving on the right? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 16:26 
User

It's different, I'm lost and I don't like it. :D

Seriously, it does look good but will take a little getting used to.

Well done. :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 17:57 

Well it's different. I'll get used to it. The logo looks better on blue. ;)
And there's a space for your Jabber address! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 20:59 

Different certainly.

Not sure about the name of the poster being so discrete but, meh, I'll get used to iy.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 
Life Member
Life Member

I was just coming here to say "why are posters' names so small?" and RP beat me to it :x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:54 

Johnnytheboy wrote:
I was just coming here to say "why are posters' names so small?" and RP beat me to it :x

But he put "discrete" instead of "discreet", so people may have thought he meant "non-continuous", hence it was worth your while after all. :D

(And no, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting that if it hadn't involved putting one over Riggers.... :P)

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:04 

Is anyone else seeing the text "User avatar" instead of the avatar picture when looking at posts by the likes of Sixy_the_red and ed_m? (IIRC Sixy had a picture before, but ed_m didn't...however he may have uploaded one now.) Does this constitute a rejection by the forum software of the picture format/dimensions/size/rudeness? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 13:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

bombus wrote:
Is anyone else seeing the text "User avatar" instead of the avatar picture when looking at posts by the likes of Sixy_the_red and ed_m? (IIRC Sixy had a picture before, but ed_m didn't...however he may have uploaded one now.) Does this constitute a rejection by the forum software of the picture format/dimensions/size/rudeness? ;)

I can see Sixy's but not ed_m's. I think in some cases the original uploaded avatars have been restored and take precedence over avatars linked from external sites.

If you read this, ed, could you try uploading a new avatar to see if that makes any difference?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 06:27 
User

Slight bug I've noticed since the forum upgrade....

Following a hyperlink now results in navigating away from the forum, whereas before a new tab would open for me.

Only happens here, and the same result applies on 3 different machines.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 20:25 

Gixxer wrote:
Following a hyperlink now results in navigating away from the forum, whereas before a new tab would open for me.

That's what the middle button is for... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 15:50 

Hmm, I've got to say that this noew look forum is taking some getting used to.

It doesn't imediately leap out at you which threads containg new posts and which don't, the red coloured icon is just a tadge too subtle for me.

I also preferred it when the new posts denominator disspeared once you'd visited the site, regardless of whether you'd read the posts or not.

IS there a setting where this can be adjusted?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 19:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Rigpig wrote:
It doesn't imediately leap out at you which threads containg new posts and which don't, the red coloured icon is just a tadge too subtle for me.

If you change the board style to "subsilver2" in your user profile it looks much more like the old forum.

Rigpig wrote:
I also preferred it when the new posts denominator disspeared once you'd visited the site, regardless of whether you'd read the posts or not.

Some people have expressed a preference the other way in the past, so you can't please everyone. But it's easy to clear all the unread markers by clicking on "Mark forums read" at the top right of the index page.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 19:52 

PeterE wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

If you change the board style to "subsilver2" in your user profile it looks much more like the old forum.

Rigpig wrote:

Some people have expressed a preference the other way in the past, so you can't please everyone. But it's easy to clear all the unread markers by clicking on "Mark forums read" at the top right of the index page.

Thanks Peter, thats much better.