Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Googlemail
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 22:18 

After many problems with BT Internet, I've changed to Googlemail, however, trying to change my details but in the user control panel I keep getting "The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used."

Does the forum work with googlemail?

Cheers

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Googlemail
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 22:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Safety Engineer wrote:
After many problems with BT Internet, I've changed to Googlemail, however, trying to change my details but in the user control panel I keep getting "The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used."

Does the forum work with googlemail?

gmail and googlemail addresses were barred some months ago because of an inordinate number of spam registrations.

We could consider reinstating them given that we've since moved to phpBB3 but I'd like the agreement of one or more of the other admins before doing it.

Do you not have an ISP e-mail address at all?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 22:56 

Peter

Fraid not, have just binned BT Internet as they were filling my inbox with Yahoo generated spam and charging me for the privilage. I don't have internet at home so no ISP address.

If this is a problem then I'll hunt around for another e-mail provider.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 23:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

After consultation with Roger I've now unbanned gmail and googlemail addresses, so you should be OK.

The amount of spammers has greatly reduced under phpBB3 anyway.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 21:18 

Thanks for that.

Regards

Brett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

After removing the ban on gmail and googlemail addresses, we have had a trickle of spammers getting through the net.

The volume is manageable so far, and phpBB3 now gives the ability to delete a user and all their posts at once.

However, we will need to keep an eye on the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 17:47 

Peter, I have managed to get a reliable e-mail ouside google mail so if it is easier to block all then it won't affect me.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 19:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Safety Engineer wrote:
Peter, I have managed to get a reliable e-mail ouside google mail so if it is easier to block all then it won't affect me.

As we're now getting multiple spammers per day via gmail/googlemail I propose to block those accounts again. If anyone has any concerns, please let me know before tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

PeterE wrote:
As we're now getting multiple spammers per day via gmail/googlemail I propose to block those accounts again. If anyone has any concerns, please let me know before tomorrow evening.

Now blocked again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

A small trickle still get through on other e-mail addresses, but that is very manageable thanks to the latest "administrarte user" facility.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 15:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Roger wrote:
A small trickle still get through on other e-mail addresses, but that is very manageable thanks to the latest "administrarte user" facility.

Yes, that's another major improvement we get with phpBB3 :D