Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: About our visitors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:05 
Site Admin

Some of the folk who have so far visited have wished to place further information about themselves and their interests. I have set up this topic for just that purpose.

If you would like to introduce yourself, or post a profile, please hit "Post Reply" and enter it here.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:28 

Might as well start then.

My name's Carl Prescott, I've been visiting the SafeSpeed site for a good 12 or 18 months now. I'm a member of the ABD, have contributed to SafeSpeed's fund (in a roundabout way) and I'm actively involved in the 'anti-stupidly-simple--road-safety-message' scene.

I really got involved following a speeding ticket back in February of last year when I heard about and decided to go down the unsigned form route. With JJ's help, I won that case and have won another one in South Wales for a colleague. I also have two more on the go for friends where I intend to act as a McKenzie friend once/if it gets to court.

I also post on PePiPoo, Cumbria Safety Cameras and PistonHeads as 'FastShow' and actively contribute to the Unisgined Forms list - which is still as interesting today as it ever was!

I'm an IT chap by trade, but that's about as boring as things get, so I'll shut up now.

TTFN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 01:40 

My name's John Thornley, and like Carl I got involved after being duped into getting nicked by a camera when travelling at a safe and appropriate speed. Until then I was fairly easy-going about the whole speeding thing, but I got quite cross about this one, and started doing a bit of research.

The more I found out, the more annoyed I got. Then my native Cumbria had a camera partnership inflicted upon it and I decided I had to get involved.

I think I'm quite like-minded with Paul here, in that I believe analysis and logic is the way forward. The whole "speed kills" philosophy is based on a tissue of lies and false assumptions, and ultimately all we need to do is awaken a working majority of people with the truth and the entire scam must surely collapse.

I'm a Computer Software Developer with an Engineering background.

I don't think we have any need for exaggeration or rhetoric, we simply need to steadily and continually refute false assumptions with solid facts. I am active in my local area where I do my best to do just that, typically via the local papers or the CSCP forum (where I have the same username). I am also the Cumbrian contact for the ABD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 08:55 
User

Hello,

My name is David Bowl, I live in Prestatyn, North Wales. I recieved a speeding ticket in July 2002 for what I beleived to be a sensible 84 mph on a deserted dual carrigeway on a lovely summer evening. Since that day I have always taken an intrest in matters of speed enforcement.

As you are of course aware I fall under the durestriction of a certain Richard Brunstrom, whos approach to the policing of the North Wales roads leaves a little to be desired and has ultimately lead to my conifdence in the police severly damaged.

I am a student studing in Liverpool and during my journey to and from University (70miles) I pass a total of 8 speed cameras (5 there, 3 back) ,and then I have deal with the Arrive Alive vans in my area. It infuriates me when I see a camera van monitering roads that I know have not had a fatality in years.

I am not an active campaigner, however I am certainly very verbal when the issue is raised amunst friends and family. I atempt to pursuade the misinformed referencing to the Safespeed website. I do have a fair bit of free time and am prepared to do my bit, any suggestions?

Cheers Dave

BRUNSTROM OUT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 14:05 
dave wrote:
...I am a student studing in Liverpool and during my journey to and from University (70miles) I pass a total of 8 speed cameras (5 there, 3 back)...

Oh how I wish... I live in Wakefield and have the dubious pleasure of having to negotiate in excess of 20, yes 20 :shock:, gatsos in an area of about two square miles. :cry:

Kaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 21:56 
User

My name is Andy Gormanly and I'm a HGV driver. I cover thousands of miles a year driving all over the country. I love driving, but not as much as I used to, because of the scamera's and talivans, but also because it seems to me that some drivers, car and truck, obtained their licences from toytown.
The obsession with camera's annoys me, when there appears to be little done to catch the untaxed, uninsured and un MOT'd vehicles.
VOSA is doing a difficult job trying to get the cowboy hauliers and haulage drivers off the road, but it's like pushing water uphill.
Things that gripe me greatly, drivers rushing to cause accidents, drivers who have no concept of how and why they need to use indicators, car drivers, in particular, who have no concept of the room required for trucks to manouvre and brake, I'm OK with good cyclists, I used to be one, but the suicidal cyclists, well thats another story.
Why is it illegal for a driver to use a handheld phone at the wheel, but not a cyclist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:14 

My names Mike and I live in North Dorset.I was zapped by a hidden gatso over 6 months ago and am now going the unsigned route which would be a lost cause except for the fact i was on medication for a frozen shoulder,couldn't write(my wife filled it in) and was never given the chance to fill the form in properly,just a FPN,leter saying I was being summonsed for speeding,then a summons for not supplying information.
I was also incensed due to the fact that I had followed an obviously drink driver with my wife on the phone to the police a couple of weeks before the offence.We followed the car for nearly 25 miles,the Police told us that there were at least 2 cars intercepting us,the car i was following was only doing 20-30 mph but no polive intercepted even though it was on a main road and we were told several times thet they were heading to us.I eventually tailed the car to his/her destination and waited round the corner for half an hour,then as no Police turned up,I just gave up and went home as my battery had gone flat on my mobile.I never heard anything back.If it was the other way round they would be doing me for wasting police time!

Just recieved a notice of discontinuation for my summons,so now I am claiming costs from the CPS for my time spent preparing;what comes around goes around!

Last edited by mikeh2000 on Sun Apr 25, 2004 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 17:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My name is Peter Edwardson and I live in Stockport, Cheshire, very close to Junction 1 of the M60.

I passed my driving test in November 1976 and have owned a car since July 1980, since when I have driven over 300,000 miles. I have always enjoyed driving and valued the freedom and mobility it gave me, but it was something I tended to take for granted and have never been any kind of "car nut" or owner of overtly sporty or "high-performance" cars.

In my driving career I have so far (touch wood) only ever had one motoring conviction - and that was in January 1981, for speeding in a Morris Marina, which I feel should count as some kind of achievement.

However, it became clear to me in the mid-1990s that a variety of new restrictions were being placed on the motorist, including road humps, fixed speed cameras and reduced speed limits. These trends have greatly intensified following the election of the Labour government in May 1997 - although most were started under the Tories.

While I may have been personally irritated by these developments, at first I grudgingly accepted them as things that would, on balance, make the roads safer. When I looked into the subject more deeply, though, it became clear to me that the road safety justification for these kind of measures was extremely questionable, and very often their introduction was motivated less by a genuine concern to reduce accidents than by a desire to demonise car use and make it more frustrating and less attractive.

I firmly believe that real road safety will not be enhanced by placing ever tighter curbs and restrictions on road users, but by educating drivers to behave responsibly, and by building new, safer roads and improving the design and layout of existing ones. And that the motor car, all things considered, is unquestionably A Good Thing.

I run the SpeedLIMIT website which deals with the above topics and also includes listings of:
  • speed cameras in and around Greater Manchester
  • speed limit reductions in the Greater Manchester area
  • Britain's Best Driving Roads - mainly culled from suggestions on the uk.transport Usenet group
I have been a member of the ABD since 1998 and am the local representative for the Stockport and Manchester areas.

I am also a national committee member of SABRE - the Society for All British Road Enthusiasts, which is an organisation I would recommend to anyone with an interest in the history, development, nomenclature and design of the UK's road system.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Last edited by PeterE on Sun Jun 11, 2006 02:48, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 18:41 
User

Hi All!

Just thought I would supply just a few details about my good self - but not give too much away :wink: :wink:

Am Senior Cop (oops - joined the "rebels"). Will post as I see fit and if I think someone has posted garbage - I will say so politely :wink:

. Not pro-speed cameras (oops) as deployed at present. Would agree that they need a full audit and serious thought as to their deployment.

Am related to "Mad Moggie" who urged me to join as he thought a BiB's input may be beneficial to some of the discussions here. His wife, WildCat is my first cousin. We agree on some points - but not all - another reason why he thought I may add some colour to the discussions :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 15:43 
Suspended
Suspended

My name is Steve, from Letchworth, Herts.

:wink: I Hold an Artic, Car & Motorcycle licence.

I drive proffessional & it is a passion in my life. :P Have both High performance car & Bike.

:x It drives me crazy, how accidents are being blamed on speed ( or a factor of speed). Have 18 years accident free driving (not even a dented panel). Have a string of speeding convictions for traveling just above the limit, Have not had a clean licence since 1987.

I am of the view that speed camera's offer no measures with regard to safety in any form. They are purely a revenue tool.

I believe the only way to reduce accidents, is to prosecute drivers that cause them, and to improve bad road layouts (black spots) to remove the risk.

:x I am incensed with the recent lower limits being placed on our roads. A road local to myself was a 60 mph limit. Recently reduced to 30 mph and a regular huant off mobile cameras, since the speed change. The road layout has not changed, the only change since the first classification is the improvement of vehicles. So why the reduction, REVENUE.

I would like to see an increase in speed limits across the board, in line with current vehicle tecnology, and to reduce the congestion.

I would also like to see the removal of speed humps in all areas, as they damage both vehicles and loads.

I would also like to see the restriction of trucks to inside lanes of motorways ( yes you read it correctly, a truck driver trying to restrict trucks). This would rid our motorways of alot of congestion, and we would only have one lane restricted to 56 mph.

regards,

Post subject: Another newby....
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 15:08 
Troll Alert!
Troll Alert!

Here is my introduction...Sorry that I posted it in the wrong place !

Hi folks...

I have been reading this forum for some time now and I feel that I would like to take part as I have a few strong views on road-safety.

I have read back the archives a bit and although I see a some subjects that interest me I would like the opinions of the board-uses in a more up-to-date way than going back into history too far.

My name is Paul, my username is Papaumau, ( it is Maori BTW ), and I am retired and spend a fair bit of time online these days.

I have two children and three grandchildren so I am particularly interested in their safety on the roads.

I was introduced to this site by a visitor to my own consumer forum - which I will not advertise here unless I am specifically asked for it's addy.

During my journeys around the internet forums I have found that road-safety is inclined to fall between two stools: 1). The opinions of the general road-users and 2). The opinions of the officials who apply the law and who extract the taxes and fines from us when we "misbehave" !

Because of this syndrome I am sadly afraid that we have a "them & us" situation here where the road-users and the establishment feel there is some kind of a war ging on between them.

From the zealous application of speed cameras to the zealous application of the road-calming schemes and the parking and tolling schemes it appears that much of the effort that is expended in trying to ostensibly make the roads and streets safer is in fact making the lives of the road-uses a misery.

Some have suggested that all of these sanctions are simply aimed at stopping us from using our expensively run and maintained vehicles at all so that it might then only be the very rich that can afford to get from A to B via personal transport.

Many too have said in the past that this "war" against the road-users is being prosecuted in the wrong order to the introduction of efficient , cheap, safe, and dependable public transport, where the taxes and curbs on our motoring freedoms are rising exponentially and long before any decent public transport is even designed - never mind in place.

Well, I think that I have managed to put as many of the problems of motoring and transportation in Britain that I can think of into this introduction and if I have missed anything I hope that you will tell me so.

To me SAFETY is the most important part of the transport equation in Britain today, I just think that many of the so-called "safety" policies that are in force nowadays are simply revenue-gathering exercises in disguise.

Papaumau

http://www.rip-off.co.uk/index1.htm
http://www.network54.com/hide/forum/100558

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 00:37 
User

Here we go then...

I'm Phil and I live in Watford. Post here and on PH, plus a variety of other forums, generally under the same username. Am rapidly approaching the "Grumpy Old Man" event horizon.

Ended up here via PH, although I can't remember how I ended up there. Not a driving enthusiast as such in that I neither own nor can afford anything especially nice. However I do enjoy driving what I have, given the opportunity. Been driving for 13 years and am conviction and accident free. Never had so much as a parking ticket etc etc etc

Have become increasingly annoyed that Watford, as with so many other towns and cities, has become blighted with cameras, humps, bumps, chicanes, random roadworks, utterly pointless bus and cycle lanes, blocked off roads and artificial congestion, most of which has been forced upon us by the County Council from their ivory towers in Hertford. Am also annoyed that we have councils harping on about "sustainable transport" whilst building yet more out of town business and retail parks with bugger all in the way of public transport, then moaning about congestion.

Not rabidly pro motorist, just an average guy who wants to be left alone to get on with his life away from the watchful gaze of Big Brother. Continually amazed at how those in power have their head so firmly in the sand when it comes to transport. I tend to avoid using the car for local trips because it has become so utterly unpleasant. Fortunate enough to live close to a branch line into Watford Junction station, so let the train take the strain. I refuse to use buses and taxis for a variety of reasons. Above all I just want to see sensible enforcement, logical planning and a move away from the current emotive speed kills hogwash and Safety Partnership money making machines.

Work in accounts, support a rubbish football team and jump off bridges attached to glorified rubber bands for fun. Spend way too much time online.

Post subject: General Chat
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 21:06 

Hi I'm Brett and am a safety engineer, been driving four years and cover about 80,000 a year, I provide safety cover for sites from Lincoln down to Poole. Live in Essex and have been amazed by the siteing of many mobile camera vehicles that are not safely positioned, do not appear to meet any H&S standards or guidence (HSE, DfT, ACPO). I did at one time contact the partnerships (Have contacted Essex partnership twice) but never recieve any response, and the hazards are still there !!!

Seems to me that this has very little (if anything) to do with safety but a lot with being seen to do something and the huge amounts of cash ending up in the government coffers !!! Or am I being cynical ??

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 14:06 
User

'lo,

My name's Daniel, joined up today after seeing a lot of convincing information about what the .gov.uk are doing is wrong.

Originally arrived here by doing a Google Images search for "Daily Mail".

Got caught by the Humberside Police for doing 84mph on the desolate M180 towards Barton & Hull. I duly posted payment and license within three weeks, after a further three weeks they sent me a threatening reminder letter, then after another month sent me my license back with the points scribbled on by hand.

I'm passionate about road safety and road ettiquete, and regularly try to do my bit to educate people that driving round in daylight with side lights & overpowering fog lights on is wrong, and that indicating at junctions isn't optional, but do so in the frustrated confines of my car. "If only I was a copper" is a phrase I use frequently.

So yes, less speed cameras, more educated police and more educated drivers. Put the money into the people, not take the money from the people.

I live in Birmingham (a surprisingly small amount of cameras -- touch wood!) and work in IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 16:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi,

I'm Chris, 31, an embedded systems engineer living and working in the Slough-Maidenhead area (home of the poorly liveried Talivans :evil: ).

Felt it was time to finally register after having been a regular visitor to this site for several months. Found it after searching for information about speeding penalties - my girlfriend got pinged by one of the aforementioned vans whilst giving me a lift to work along a stretch of road we're quite familiar with. Neither of us saw the van (on a road used by hundreds of vans of all shapes and sizes throughout the day, who's going to notice a nondescript small white van with small amber lights (switched off, of course) on the roof parked up by the side of the road, hmm?) and our speed was merely in keeping with the rest of the traffic heading in the same direction (which means the local scamera partnership must have had a profitable morning :twisted: ). As both a regular car driver and pedestrian, I've seen countless examples of the problems caused by the current obsession with speed enforcement and traffic calming, and I'm firmly in the camp who believes that whilst a certain level of enforcement is necessary, the current methods aren't doing us any favours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 13:42 
New User
New User

Hey, all.

I'm Lieah from greater manchester. I've only held my licnece for 3 years and I'm about to take the IAM test. So far, touch wood I've never had a conviction (my car doesn't go fast enough) but I get incerasingly annoyed, both at mindless drivers unaware of nothing on the roads but the speed cameras and stupid reduction in speed limits where there are cameras (which I'm sure happens because the cameras aren't earning their keep)
My view is that there should be more graduation in the driving test system and I think there sholud be far more consideration when choosing camera sites (outside schools or other places where children and other pedestrians are at high risk) but most are pointless.
I'd love to see (as one user suggested) the scamera system implode if everyone decided to drive just below the limit for a few weeks.
You can probarbly tell by this post that I don't really follow the whole argument (:roll: dumb, but not blonde, if you pelase)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 14:57 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

I am Mike, I am live in the village of Old Basing. Currently I am a sales person working for a big software firm who supply hospital systems.

I served for 12 years as a Military Policeman where I specialised in the investigation of traffic accidents (squaddies crash alot) and have seen my fair share of fatal scenes.

I ride a M/C as my primaty form of transport covering 40,000 miles a year on two wheels, I have also held a full driving license since 1981.

I am not against cameras, but I am against the way thay are being used as I believe that this is detrimental to a sound road safety policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 18:20 
New User
New User

Hi

My name is Chris - Field Service Engineer who got done 2 years ago for 77MPH in a 70 by arrive alive on a desolate duel carrageway at 8am.

Ever since then I have fitted laser jammers to my car and bike and been point free ever since.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 18:27 
Police Officer
Police Officer

gh0st24uk wrote:
Hi

My name is Chris - Field Service Engineer who got done 2 years ago for 77MPH in a 70 by arrive alive on a desolate duel carrageway at 8am.

Ever since then I have fitted laser jammers to my car and bike and been point free ever since.....

Infidell :( , just wait till you get done for obstruct police

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 19:03 

NEIL JEFFREYS wrote:
Infidell :( , just wait till you get done for obstruct police

So can I take it that arrive alive use Police officers and not civvies in their vans then?