Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to complain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 14:01 
User

This chap found a new way to complain, by running his car through the shop.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 274635.stm

He must have had a hell of a lot on his chest. It doesn't say whether they reviewed
customer services, though.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How to complain
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 21:14 

It must be something about tesco's staff attitudes, ( I rarely shop there myself) but in our local paper there are always people writing in complaining about staff and their attitude to customers.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 16:16 

This is a shocking story. Not only did an amazing car get destroyed, but it also caused damage to my favourite shop, Tescos :( I bet it was some posh git who used Waitrose as well :x Good god though, half a decade ban? That is very harsh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 16:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What? No big posts outside to prevent ram raiding?

Waitrose have these...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 00:02 
Site Admin

I gather that his bed was late for delivery and he was 'messed about'. He got upset! I think he was a lot more than that to say the least!

I am surprised that he was not pleading temp insanity!

I wonder if we will see an increase for many reasons over the next few months of driver rage ... for many reasons. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 04:06 

Thank goodness the spy cameras stopped this from happening!

On a more serious note, if tesco would stop treating me like a criminal I might go back to their shops.

At least someone is actually protesting at last! Maybe about the wrong thing, but still.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I use it all the time :lol:

Ziltro wrote:
At least someone is actually protesting at last! Maybe about the wrong thing, but still.
Maybe he was French; Canton is French I think :) If he was English he would have mumbled in his friend's ear for an hour before writing a stiff leter to Tesco. (On a piece of cardboard) :D

Lidl Flynn! Don't use Te$co, I keep tellin' ya :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:59 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I gather that his bed was late for delivery and he was 'messed about'. He got upset! I think he was a lot more than that to say the least!

I wonder if we will see an increase for many reasons over the next few months of driver rage ... for many reasons. :(

It said in a report I read somewhere that his argument was that a bedroom suite he bought should have INCLUDED a mattress, not be an optional extra.
I can see why some people might wish to save a few bob by keeping their existing mattress if it were any good. :roll:

This all comes down to individual staff members though.
I bought a product in Tesco while away in Southport, only to find when I got it home that it was WAY out of date.
Without opening it, I telephoned the store to alert them to the possibility of other product on the same shelf, and since we don't get to our local Tesco, arranged at their suggestion to return it to the same store (60 miles away) the next week. I was told to open it and empty it away, keeping the container - which I did.

However, when my wife took it in, the customer service person on duty more or less accused her of returning an old empty product for a refund... then begrudgingly handed her a card with £10 credit on it!

As a consequence I then wrote a letter deploring the attitude of the staff member, and returned their £10 card by post, pointing out that I had alerted them asa courtesy, NOT to elicit any reward, and deploring the attitude of the second staff member in his actions.
I was then invited by letter to attend the store when next in Southport, and present a letter to the customer service desk.
This earned me a refund for the original product, but when I got to the check out, a staff member intercepted me, and took me through a separate check out, and I was not charged for ANY of the goods that day.

I find the best policy is not to berate the individual staff member responding to a complaint, but make it clear which individual you are blaming, so that if a pattern emerges, the shop can deal with that individual.

Any shop or organisation worth it's salt will appreciate the opportunity to put right an error, without them being blamed as a whole. When you encounter a shop where there is NO policy to improve matter, then you can give them both barrels and criticise the policy, as well as the incident!

However too many complaints result from members of staff who are aggrieved at dodgy customers receiving more respect than hard working staff members, and they let their frustrations get the better of them. Staff who are well paid, and well trained, in a happy work environment get less complaints that those who employ cheap labour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 
User

Quote:

He choose the right car for a job like this, anyway. I quite like
Rolls Royces, apart from the petrol consumption. They're pretty
good for heavy work; you could use one instead of a tractor for
pulling up stumps.

They're also good in a crash - they have a lot of momentum for
crushing oncoming vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hate to say it Ernest, but once again it comes down to culture IMO. What happened to you and your wife would not happen in America.

I remember being in a store when I lived in California, (Stater Bros), and on two occasions when I had an item which didn’t scan they simply put it through FOC. :thumbsup:

Compare that to England where they would rather spend five minutes and inconvenience a line of waiting customers just to get the price on a piece of chewing gum. :x

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 14:01 
User

Big Tone wrote:
I remember being in a store when I lived in California, (Stater Bros), and on two occasions when I had an item which didn’t scan they simply put it through FOC.

People in Britain are anxious to _demonstrate_ that they have no respect for others. There is confusion here about "knowing your place", which has no equivalent in North America (I'm a lapsed Canadian).

Big Tone wrote:
Compare that to England where they would rather spend five minutes and inconvenience a line of waiting customers just to get the price on a piece of chewing gum. :x

Brits queue... they ought to drive their cars through shop windows more often.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 17:50 
Site Admin

And which is why when we hear of the millions of pounds of profit, they raise each yr the less understandable it seems to allow the occasional £1 (or less) off to a few customers. I do appreciate that £1 x 1million could be a huge sum but that good will earns them twice that at least.
The constant bombardment that everything has to be checked and double checked, authorised, controlled and observed has gone far too far IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:36 
Supporter
Supporter

I suspect that one of the major differences between North America and UK is that many of the service jobs in NA are done by students working through University. And in my experience, personal and anecdotal, when an intelligent person is forced into a boring job they tend to alleviate the boredom by finding ways of improving the job and to maintain their self respect by doing the job really well.

Hopefully this is something that will spread in this country with the increase of student fees.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 13:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
I suspect that one of the major differences between North America and UK is that many of the service jobs in NA are done by students working through University. And in my experience, personal and anecdotal, when an intelligent person is forced into a boring job they tend to alleviate the boredom by finding ways of improving the job and to maintain their self respect by doing the job really well.
I wish I could agree with you dc, I really do. But it's definitely a culture thing IMHO and I would like to suggest that maybe there wouldn't be as much need to complain if, in the late great Dale Carnigie's words, people were generally more "hearty in their approbation and lavish in their praise". Be honest with yourselves now, how often do you do that, or when was the last time? I don’t mean a “thanks” for keeping a door open or a “cheers mate” when someone has been helpful.

There’s a lady work who does the general cleaning, (I don't know the PC title), and I have often noticed how she always says good morning with a lovely smile on her face and how assiduous she is with everything she does. So when I complimented her, completely out of the blue, at just how much I have noticed the fine work she does she was so taken back I thought she was going to cry. (Hec, I nearly cried at her response!)

It probably didn’t help because I’m a hugger too, (which is probably regarded as inappropriate behaviour or harassment in the workplace or something these days), but to say my words were appreciated, which came from a sincere and genuine respect for her, is an understatement!

In all the years she has been working here not once had anyone said just what a fine job she is doing and lovely person. I think it's very sad and speaks volumes about our culture and society that we are so loathed to give praise where due without reward or some hidden agenda.

So I guess I’m saying, in my clumsy way, that when people feel that what they do is not appreciated or recognised, or if they are undervalued, then what incentive is there to do well or better? That praise should come from good management of course but we, as customers, are not to know just how put-down these people who serve us are. (I'm not saying that's any excuse for poor service or 'attitude' but to borrow a phrase we often use, it's a contributory factor)

dcbwhaley wrote:
Hopefully this is something that will spread in this country with the increase of student fees.
Don't hold your breath mate ;)

Oh, and here's to you Claire :drink: :bow: If I haven't said it before :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 22:06 
Site Admin

:drink: You haven't but thank you :D

We would not need to complain if things were done properly in the first place and that honest and frank answers follow direct questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:34 
User

Tesco.
Not my favourite store, but the nearest by several miles.
Upon trying to pay using my card the machine could not "read" the chip. So the assistant wanted me to sign for it. The card, being several months old, had had the signature abraded away by the constant in-and-out of the various readers. He suggested I sign the card again so that he could verify the signature on the sales slip!

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reminds me of a Chic Murray joke..

So I’m trying to book-in at a very cheap and small B&B when the landlady says to me

“Have you got a good memory for faces?”

“Yes” I reply, “Why do you ask?”

Landlady says, “Because there’s no mirror in the bathroom”. :P