Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 17:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 21:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Right, not a rant – just a post in despair at attempts to brainwash school kids, not teach them to think about road safety- looking for comments on what the kids are meant to get out of this .
This was spotted outside an infant school locally. Mrs B & daughter go to exercise classes at this site once a week, and this poster was spotted on the gates.

Then we get the view toward the road –

And the view from the road into the school

Apologies at picture quality -sunny day + mobile phone camera .

And the road – single track ,due to the bollards ,preventing any car getting onto the pavement .

As said –at what our new generation is being taught –the mind boggles.

Now on the other hand ,today , even though schools shut for summer , at a nearby school site we spotted several WCC( Warks CC) INSTRUCTORS (or that's what's said on the HiViz) with a class of cyclists on the road ,teaching road safety and cycling.One kid out of a group shot out accross a right turn on front of me (I was looking for learner cyclone errors and gave him clearance)Right, not a rant – just a post in despair at attempts to brainwash school kids, not teach them to think about road safety- looking for comments on what the kids are meant to get out of this .
This was spotted outside an infant school locally. Mrs B & daughter go to exercise classes at this site once a week, and this poster was spotted on the gates.

Then we get the view toward the road –

And the view from the road into the school

And the road – single track ,due to the bollards ,preventing any car getting onto the pavement .

As said –at what our new generation is being taught –the mind boggles.
.Now what a shame this is only restricted to a school holiday event .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 07:31 
Supporter
Supporter

You obviously feel very strongly about this, having reinforced your message by repeating it. :D
Quote:
And the road – single track ,due to the bollards ,preventing any car getting onto the pavement

But the bollards don't prevent a pedestrian from being jostled onto a road - we are talking about young children, excited at getting out of school. What exactly do you think that poster brainwashes the children into thinking?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:55 
Life Member
Life Member

Don't forget, BRAKE want education 'discouraging driving' to start at nursery schools, and they get public money...

I'd vote for teaching them road safety that they can use, myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
You obviously feel very strongly about this, having reinforced your message by repeating it. :D
Quote:
And the road – single track ,due to the bollards ,preventing any car getting onto the pavement

But the bollards don't prevent a pedestrian from being jostled onto a road - we are talking about young children, excited at getting out of school. What exactly do you think that poster brainwashes the children into thinking?

The poster is more about parked vehicles and the danger from ,retracting from the danger element of those moving,as you said "But the bollards don't prevent a pedestrian from being jostled onto a road - we are talking about young children, excited at getting out of school. "

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:37 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
The poster is more about parked vehicles and the danger from ,retracting from the danger element of those moving,as you said "But the bollards don't prevent a pedestrian from being jostled onto a road - we are talking about young children, excited at getting out of school. "

My take on that poster is that they want to stop parents driving down that road in order to park and pick up their offspring. IMO limiting the movement of vehicles in areas where there are large crowds of pedestrians, whether they be children escaping from school or football supporters leaving a match*, is a good thing.

*( Except at Edgley Park)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 19:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
botach wrote:

My take on that poster is that they want to stop parents driving down that road in order to park and pick up their offspring. IMO limiting the movement of vehicles in areas where there are large crowds of pedestrians, whether they be children escaping from school or football supporters leaving a match*, is a good thing.

*( Except at Edgley Park)

Suggest that if the road layout further on is seen it's to stop parking .Next bit of road( and it's again single track) through school has pavement with a narrow built up higher than average kerb( to stop parking on the pavement) . Schools in this town have a no movement policy at kicking out time .If you don't get in five minutes before -you stop outside and once you're in -you're on till the exit roads are clear or policed .Quite rightly ,IMHO these bollards are to prevent the usual parking as seen outside schools .The message is aimed at those parents who won't/can't park properly .But instead the message is that by parking on the yellows ,you're magically blocking the pavement .