Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 17:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ah yes. I meant in a more ‘to work and back’ situation. (Should have said). Bikes do make easy work of things as a generalisation. When I lived nearby my work base, exactly one mile, I ran into work as fast as I could; arriving in a pool of sweat. But when I cycle from where I now live, four miles away, I’m just a little hot which an open window or my desk fan deals with in ten minutes.

Edit: I got my bike on a cycle to work scheme. Now I wonder if that has encouraged heart attack prone people to use bikes? This is one of the reasons I always query statistics; you never quite know if you are getting the full story...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 20:51 
User

sounds like running to work and back is a better option then ?

(and before you ask, yes i have done this)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 09:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That would mean a four mile run for me now ed, there and back! Are you trying to kill me, or just get me up to your fitness level? :wink:

Actually, how many people die of a heart attack on their feet? I bet you could prove walking is the number one killer. Ha! Didn’t think of that did they? Image

I can go one better in fact. When I bought my memory foam mattress it had loads of stats written on it, like how it doubles in weight over ten years from all the crud coming off your body. :yuck: One of them I remember was something like 85% of people die in a bed. (Quite logical if you think about it)

So there you have it, if you want to live a long life don’t go to bed. :bighand:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 22:21 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
So there you have it, if you want to live a long life don’t go to bed. :bighand:

Especially not a hospital bed :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 16:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Especially not a hospital bed :evil:

And more so in one like our local - named after a female writer who used a blokes name . :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:51 
User

Is cycling to university, or recreation a cause of heart attacks, or is it just work as a destination that is a significant factor...?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 16:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Is cycling to university, or recreation a cause of heart attacks, or is it just work as a destination that is a significant factor...?
It is for me in the past year. I'd slit my throat but I'd probably be saved only to die in agony later from MRSA, neglect or abuse. (Allegedly)..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 17:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:

MODS- can you please define WORK as somthing that the swear filter picks up . :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 
User

work = applying a force over a distance
cycling = work QED

and thus further one can show cycling in the gym != work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 13:11 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

ed_m wrote:
work = applying a force over a distance
cycling = work QED

and thus further one can show cycling in the gym != work.

If you are giving it "power over time", but not doing "work", then surely the energy isn't conserved ?! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 16:36 
Supporter
Supporter

Steve wrote:
If you are giving it "power over time", but not doing "work", then surely the energy isn't conserved ?! :D

But, in the gym on a stationary cycle, momentum is conserved :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh oh! Hold on to your hat Botach :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 18:06 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Steve wrote:

But, in the gym on a stationary cycle, Momentum is conserved :evil:

Would that be Angular Momentum or Linear Momentum...:coat:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 18:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Oh oh! Hold on to your hat Botach :lol:

Did someone say "WORK" - one word that caused more injuries ( from shock) on the 60's car industry , docks ,mining and railway industries than any other . OOH ,my dickey ticker ( as heard on 'Allo, Allo) .And something that fails ( IMHO) these days on a lot of products just after the warranty has expired .