Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 09:02 
User

In response to EU (including UK) decision to embargo Iran, that country has decided to sell no crude to Europe, or European companies. Ever again. I fact they have also decided to base the price NOT on the US dollar, along with other producers.
I suppose shooting itself in the foot has now become the Euopean "thing" ?
£1.50/Ltr soon ?
Or higher ?

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 14:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don’t get why we have always been so dependant on far east oil anyway?

We have the North sea, (maybe a lot more off The Falklands but that’s not why we want to hang onto it :mrgreen: ), and the USA have Texas and Alaska full of the stuff. Also I read recently that diesel, which used to be far cheaper than petrol, is easier and cheaper to produce than petrol - yet look at the difference these days! :shock:

Pah! :x

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 16:27 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
I Also I read recently that diesel, which used to be far cheaper than petrol, is easier and cheaper to produce than petrol - yet look at the difference these days! :shock:
Pah! :x

Welcome to the free market economy :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 16:57 
User

Quote:
Welcome to the free market economy

Since the pricing of fuel in the UK is mostly down to taxation the "Free Market" has very little to do with it!

Personally, I am in favour of a Policy of "Energy Autarky" (Amongst other things...) We have the Technology as it were.. and if it had been down to me I would have had a very diferent depletion policy for both NS Oil and NS Gas....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

jomukuk wrote:
In response to EU (including UK) decision to embargo Iran, that country has decided to sell no crude to Europe, or European companies. Ever again. I fact they have also decided to base the price NOT on the US dollar, along with other producers.

As oil is largely a fungible commodity, if you refuse to sell it to one customer, another producer will simply take up the slack. If you try to sell it above the market price, you won't sell any. If you sell it below the market price, you lose out.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed