Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 18:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 22:41 
User

Oh and Steve, did you hear the guy, trying to be the nice cyclist by staying out of the way of cars by riding in the gutter, bad idea as he discovered quite quickly!

Moderator message:
These off topic posts have been split from another thread here.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 23:26 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Oh and Steve, did you hear the guy, trying to be the nice cyclist by staying out of the way of cars by riding in the gutter, bad idea as he discovered quite quickly!

Did you hear about the N=1 sample size fallacy? Evidently not!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 14:41 
User

Steve wrote:
Returning to the point: relying on others to be safe in their actions doesn't absolve yourself of that responsibility.

Straw man, never said it did.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 14:43 
User

botach wrote:
For the benefit of those wishing to put me in the anti cycling lobby -I have no problem with genuine cyclists -indeed I'll go out of my way on the road to help them and give them a wie berth .

By extension then you close pass cyclists you feel are not genuine cyclists, or at least implying you don't give them as much room as others?

How do you tell which ones to cut up?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 16:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:
Returning to the point: relying on others to be safe in their actions doesn't absolve yourself of that responsibility.

Straw man, never said it did.

And I never said you said otherwise. It is apparent that you don't know what a strawman is.

You can claim strawman if I said something along the lines of: 'so you think relying on others to be safe absolves yourself of that responsibility (?) '; fortunately, I made no such implication.

It is difficult to ignore the fact that you have instead demonstrated an example of hypocrisy, just a few posts ago in this very thread.
Oh, and your next post is another. Hypocrisy abound!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 20:59 
User

bit late to this thread .. can someone filter the bickering for me and summarise where we've got to ? :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
For the benefit of those wishing to put me in the anti cycling lobby -I have no problem with genuine cyclists -indeed I'll go out of my way on the road to help them and give them a wie berth .

By extension then you close pass cyclists you feel are not genuine cyclists, or at least implying you don't give them as much room as others?

Why do you ALWAYS ASSUME ( read the thing on assume -ASS - U ME ) /read into what other say that they have double standards -or it because YOU have .

FYI - I always go out of my way to assist Genuine cyclists , and make sure that I help them whereever possible . The chav cyclists get even more room - the only cutting up is to make certain that there's as little room as possible between my car and kerb ,as they seem to want to pass on the inside .BTW -which camp do you fall into - chav or genuine -
from your animousity ,I'd put you in the ANgRY CYCLIST camp ,and certainly not a good advert for the cycling fraternity .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:23 
User

Steve wrote:
Hypocrisy abound!

Wow, that's a pretty strong word to use.

In what way are the two posts you've highlighted hypocrisy?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi -WEEPY -you've stuck up another post .Care to answer my question "Why do you ALWAYS ASSUME ( read the thing on assume -ASS - U ME ) /read into what other say that they have double standards -or it because YOU have .(double standards)"

OR -is this ANOTHER question that you'll chose to ignore -like the others that you fin convenient to ignore .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:

So you really can't see how you have been behaving in the manner that you have been condemning others for? Unless you can explain how your posts didn’t contain strawmans?

I find it telling that you picked up on the minutiae, but not even acknowledged the substance. Thus I could venture that your involvement within the intended discussion has concluded, but I might be wrongly accused of strawmanning - again!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
weepej wrote:

So you really can't see how you have been behaving in the manner that you have been condemning others for? Unless you can explain how your posts didn’t contain strawmans?

I find it telling that you picked up on the minutiae, but not even acknowledged the substance. Thus I could venture that your involvement within the intended discussion has concluded, but I might be wrongly accused of strawmanning - again!

In a word - :nospam: :trolls: Where's the biker troll one when you need it ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 09:33 
User

botach wrote:
the only cutting up is to make certain that there's as little room as possible between my car and kerb

Well, there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 
User

weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
the only cutting up is to make certain that there's as little room as possible between my car and kerb

Well, there you go.

Well, I know what he meant even if you have chosen to misinterpret it.

As a "White Van Driver" my view to the nearside is limited. I have good mirrors and they are properly adjusted but there are still blindspots alongside the vehicle that can hide a car if it is in the right (wrong) position. A cyclist is no problem!

If we are going to live in a world where there is effectivly a presumption of guilt against motorists whenever a cyclist/motorcyclist is hit, then it is in the motorists interests to minimise the liklyhood of such collisions happening because the two wheeler is traveling through vehicle NS blind spots.

So to that end, in slow or stop start traffic (especially on the approach to junctions) I am inclined to hug the kerb to in order to prevent this from happening!

As do many others....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 13:39 
User

Dusty wrote:
As do many others....

In all my cycling life I don't think I've ever seen a driver purposefully hugging the kerb to stop cyclists passing them on their left hand side, and I pass hundreds of cars every day.

I have a motorcyclist friend who says he sometimes sees people clock him filtering in their rear view mirrors and sees them purposefully move over to block his path, maybe he's had the misfortune to meet you two on the road?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 15:23 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
botach wrote:

Well, there you go.

Nice try!
That cannot be used to support your claim. That wasn't one of the two posts I was referring to; the links to those have already been given.
Not only does my claim against you stand, but you have now tried to support your stance by using evidence subsequent to the claim, instead of responding to the request for you to explain how the prior posts supported your claim.

What the point of continuing with you when you make false claims of poor arguments, then hypocritically make the same poor arguments yourself, not explaining/accepting/recanting them despite rebuttal, then ignoring the substance of what was being discussed, then twisting the evidence supporting your claim, then moving onto something new?

Given my previous prompting, can we accept I take it the point, of the level of all-round responsibility, has concluded?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 18:12 
User

Steve wrote:
That cannot be used to support your claim. That wasn't one of the two posts I was referring to;

Let's remind ourselves of what botach originally wrote shall we.

I have no problem with genuine cyclists -indeed I'll go out of my way on the road to help them and give them a wie berth .

Unsaid in that, but implied is that "non genuine" cyclists are treated differently from genuine cyclists, not helped, hindered. Botach later admits to cutting them up, punishment if he feels they are not behaving well.

On the other point, I suggested pedestrians and carriage drivers will always have to interact, unless one thinks that pavements should be totally separated from roads throughout the entire road network, where's the strawman in that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 18:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Let's remind ourselves of what botach originally wrote shall we.

Oh weepej, you really are so selective, aren't you. What about your other sentence within your post that you didn't quote?

weepej conveniently forgot that he wrote:

Strawman!
This was before any mention of 'cutting up', so the strawman holds.

Then follows the misrepresentation:

weepej wrote:
... Botach later admits to cutting them up,

There is a great difference between leaving a gap and preventing a left-side pass. You did realise that, didn't you? :roll:

weepej wrote:
... punishment if he feels they are not behaving well.

Where did that come from? All I read is "as they seem to want to pass on the inside". Go back and read it :roll:

weepej wrote:
On the other point, I suggested pedestrians and carriage drivers will always have to interact, unless one thinks that pavements should be totally separated from roads throughout the entire road network, where's the strawman in that?

Oh for the love of god! :banghead: :doh: And yet you had the nerve to claim that I strawmanned you! How can you reconcile your claim that my post was a strawman yet argue that yours wasn't?

So what happened to the "building 10 foot high wire fences the length and breath of the UK's road network?" Wiki: Strawman :roll:
So so conveniently selective ....

If you are going to play at claiming fallacies, make sure you: a) make sure your claim is valid; b) don't commit them yourself, especially so many of them!
You really are an immensely silly boy :loco:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 18:39 
User

Steve wrote:
You really are an immensely silly boy :loco:

Oh dear, reduced to name calling!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 19:05 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Oh dear, reduced to name calling!?

Why "reduced" when it was part of something much more considerable? It now appears that you also don't know what "reduced" means! :roll:

Given that you completely ignored everything else in the post, I would say it is actually a justified observation.
Here is your chance to prove me wrong. Go back and answer the 5 questions posed to you, otherwise let that name be held against you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 21:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dusty wrote:
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:

Well, there you go.

Well, I know what he meant even if you have chosen to misinterpret it.

So to that end, in slow or stop start traffic (especially on the approach to junctions) I am inclined to hug the kerb to in order to prevent this from happening!

As do many others....

As an ex van driver that is one reason-(to stop akami kazi cyclist practicising his craft .) The other reasonsare to stop some idiot trying to get inside of me when I'm indicating left ( an oh yes weepy - some have trie ,fortunately i spotted them first) .Thir reason is to stop some cyclist ,who cannot judge with of it's transport thying to get into a narrowgap .
BTW -weepy-i asked you some questions -are you going to do me the courtesy of answering them ,or in your usual fashionignore them ,because you cannot come up with a reasonable answer that don't involve slaging off car drivers .I conclude that with your attitude ,roads are becoming more dangerous .perhaps you might care to answer that one as well as the od dozen or so questions other postershave put to you .