The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 08:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 01:27 
Site Admin

Tehran Times here
Tehran Times wrote:
Ramnit worm goes after Facebook credentials
A pervasive worm has expanded its reach to now steal login and password details for Facebook users, warned security vendor Seculert, which found a server holding 45,000 login credentials.

The worm, called Ramnit, infects Windows executables, Microsoft Office and HTML files, according to a profile published by Microsoft. It steals user names, passwords, browser cookies and can also function as a backdoor, allowing a hacker to do other malicious actions on an infected computer. ...
Thought this was worth a mention to make people aware, but I do not know how serious it really is?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 20:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
More info from Symantec site

Also on later pages how to spot/remove -

Also noted on this page that Win7 is not on the affected list .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 09:42 
User

Neither is Linux.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 14:05 
User

I'm not affected by Facebook either! :lol:

Don't go near it - or Twitter.

Why would anyone want to know how many times I go to the toilet, or what I had for breakfast? :loco: :soapbox:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 01:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:D :D
Ernest Marsh wrote:
I'm not affected by Facebook either! :lol:

Don't go near it - or Twitter.

Why would anyone want to know how many times I go to the toilet, or what I had for breakfast? :loco: :soapbox:

Out of curiosity ---how many , and what do you hae for breccy - :D :D :lol: :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 03:21 
Site Admin

Many organisations find they can be used as an 'immediate Info Advert'.
With the HC, DSA, and DfT making some good announcements they are beginning to surpass the Media, which is interesting in itself.
With the public gaining ever increasing access to those in authority and in receipt of more direct knowledge this has to be a good beneficial development. :)
Of course those when these systems become victim to those who hack into software, it brings to the fore just how vulnerable the whole system really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 09:57 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Many organisations find they can be used as an 'immediate Info Advert'.
With the HC, DSA, and DfT making some good announcements they are beginning to surpass the Media, which is interesting in itself.
With the public gaining ever increasing access to those in authority and in receipt of more direct knowledge this has to be a good beneficial development. :)
Of course those when these systems become victim to those who hack into software, it brings to the fore just how vulnerable the whole system really is.

So soon its going to be like having a television! Arsebook wont ever be "Compulsary" but those who choose not to participate will be increacingly subjected to a relentless campaign of harrassment by the state for not doing so.... :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Government should not rely on a communications channel which many do not subscribe to to disseminate official information. Facebook is far from universal except in the fevered world of Westminster where 22 year old graduates are working as aides to ministers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 19:12 
Site Admin

Dusty wrote:
So soon its going to be like having a television! Arsebook wont ever be "Compulsary" but those who choose not to participate will be increacingly subjected to a relentless campaign of harrassment by the state for not doing so.... :x
Ah but then they will have to become responsible to ensure that everyone has that facility, and ensure that everyone has proper access. I doubt they will go that way, as it is too restrictive and will cost too much! They may make is less easy to obtain data in older formats however, that will encourage the online community setting as preferable.
I detest the concept that if I want a government paid for document I have to pay for it - well why ? It has already been paid for by us anyway and if it is downloadable then it is only the admin that I am really paying for so take away the charging and there is no need to charge me.
Perhaps all government paid for docs, and all research carried out by the Gov., ought to be made available to the public for free with easy access. There is some access at the moment and that is a good thing, but it is frustrating when it is not.

malcolmw wrote:
The Government should not rely on a communications channel which many do not subscribe to to disseminate official information. Facebook is far from universal except in the fevered world of Westminster where 22 year old graduates are working as aides to ministers.
Perhaps it provides them with a link as to who is interested ?
Some seems to merely be links to data that is on their website anyway for the most part, and I cannot see that as a problem. Is there something there that is not available elsewhere?
Or might they be trying to reach the up and coming generation, while many others still rely on the main news channels to receive data ?
I am sure that soon someone will surpass Facebook as a social facilitiy, there does seem to be a few about ! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 20:51 
User

When I was a lad, social networking involved going round to people's houses, and sitting in their lounge (or bedroom if we were allowed) and talking face to face.
The only viruses we had to worry about were chicken pox and mumps! :yuck: :headache: :yawn:

The electronic/digital age is removing the benefit of being able to read peoples faces and body language as they communicate, which inevitably leads to more misunderstandings! Now we have to rely on "emoticons" or smileys (depending on how hip you are!) to depict the spirit you typed in! :typing:

Meanwhile, people's only view of what the (social) world SHOULD look like, is the pictures beamed into their homes, of imaginary soap communities.
While they claim soaps reflect real life issues, they in fact paint an entirely false view of real life, packaged into 30 minute episodes (longer of you are strong enough to watch the omnibus editions) which are misleading in terms of content, and timescale. :roll:
Have you EVER seen a character in Coronation Street ask another if they watched EastEnders last night, and what did they think of the plot?
No of course not, yet in REAL life, it happens all the time!

It is interesting that this topic starts with quotes from the Tehran media.
:scratchchin: WOT? No UK media interest in the story?

:soapbox:
I am not a luddite - I just like to organise my worl, the way I like it - not the way somebody else THINKS I should like it!
My life is presently being made extremely difficult by Microsoft's ideas on how they think I should lead my life.
As reported elsewhere, I had to migrate to a new laptop - which came with Windows 7 home Edition.

I cannot use £400 of software that is incompatible with Windows 7, so have been forced to use upgraded software which is now hugely complex, full of features I will never use - much of which is to publish to Facebook!

No email client!
Downloaded Windows Live Mail. What a crock of sh1t that is!
No means of importing my Outlook Express address book.

I was told that I might be able to import my address book by signing into Live Mail and using the import facility for Hotmail.
No you can't! And during sign up, you're asked for your (non existent in my case) MOBILE telephone number, and invited to link to your Facebook account! Why?

Even though I junked the Live Mail account I set up, after failing to load my address book, I was glad I used a junk email address, and false name!
Bert Carrierpigeon did not seem to phase the Microsoft server - and that is another issue of the modern age - the apparent belief that you can hide behind an anonymous login name - and lots do! What are they afraid of? Other internet users with fake ID's and no moral compass that what! :listenup:

Anyhow, apparently I have committed heresy of the highest magnitude - when I asked our local computer shop technician to rip Windows 7 from my laptop, and install the XP that I know my way around, and works with my existing software - and also comes bundled with a mail client that is useful to ME and my business!
"You cannot do that - Windows 7 is Microsoft's best operating system yet" he said, with a look on his face that you would expect if you walked into a infants school and announced you were a paedophile! :whome:
"You could upgrade to Professional and use XP mode and still enjoy the features of Windows 7" he says.
ENJOY???? Enjoy WHAT??? That's aside from the £100 it costs to upgrade! £100 fr something I already HAD? :shock:

To those who know my posts, you might have noticed my recourse to abbreviated word combinations, which is not my usual style.
This is an acknowledgement that today, Waterstone's bookshop announced they were dropping the apostrophe.
Apparently Waterstones is more suited to the digital age!
Some have said it is another nail in the apostrophe's coffin (did you see what I did there?) but while I am not a card carrying member of the save the apostrophe brigade, I would not like to see it disappear from use.

Perhaps I should sign up to the inevitable Facebook page "Save The Apostrophe".

DOH!!!! :headbash: :headbash:

It's as if Facebook can save the world, instead of dragging it down to the lowest common denominator!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 19:26 
User

It was on the news this morning - apparently Kylie Minogue has wished her ex-boyfriend well after he announced he is to marry his new partner, and she did this on Twitter, where millions of fans could read it...!

WHY? :shock: Wtf?

If users cannot take basic security precautions to prevent infection - and are using thousands of pounds worth of electronic gagetry to exchange tittle tattle on this scale, I hope they get the ramnit worm! :loco:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 21:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:

As reported elsewhere, I had to migrate to a new laptop - which came with Windows 7 home Edition.

I cannot use £400 of software that is incompatible with Windows 7, so have been forced to use upgraded software which is now hugely complex, full of features I will never use - much of which is to publish to Facebook!

No email client!
Downloaded Windows Live Mail. What a crock of sh1t that is!
No means of importing my Outlook Express address book.

I was told that I might be able to import my address book by signing into Live Mail and using the import facility for Hotmail.
No you can't! And during sign up, you're asked for your (non existent in my case) MOBILE telephone number, and invited to link to your Facebook account! Why?

This may be of some use -http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
If you can't use this , and have an install WIN7 copy -why not partition the HDD for both XP and Win 7 -lets you use your xp stuff on the xp partition, till there's some decent upgrade to the business software . Personally ,I've had only one problem with Win7 - my Apple Laser printer -can't find drivers for it on Win 7 .Possibly because it's ancient . But after ten years of printing -it still keeps on . I use it mainly now for artwork for PCB.The ink can be ironed on to copper .
I find any other programs XP drivers are recognised by Win7 . Personally ,I've got both( and Win2k) on my PC -and much prefer Win7 .Would also have 98-but this motherboard won't recognise it .
As for live mail - I find it easier to use than OE .Additionally -my son tells me that he's gone on line to one of these security check sites ,with just basic Win7 security ,and had a clean bill of health - everything is stealthed ,and no security risks . Me -I use a AVAST anti virus as well .

As for Live Mail - found it a lot easier than OE to set up etc . I've had no problems importing my address book from yahoo - I've got a copy on a store HDD ,but it's small enough to fit on a (n) (old fashioned floppy) , or on a memory stick .
I've had problems with hotmail - started first with my son's father in law's account in the states - somehow it got hacked .Then my sons ,also my daughter & one of her friends .Some spam selling site was sending spam with the hacked address as the sender .When it comes to inputting phone numbers etc-I always use a phony one - landline -01234567890 always works .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 22:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, I have had pretty good success in running legacy software on Win7 Pro/32. Office 2000 still runs!!

Win7/64 is a bit more tricky as some 32 bit programs will not work. This is not really the fault of Microsoft as much as the 64bit system. We only use 64bit for CAD where we need loads of RAM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 23:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
Yes, I have had pretty good success in running legacy software on Win7 Pro/32. Office 2000 still runs!!

Win7/64 is a bit more tricky as some 32 bit programs will not work. This is not really the fault of Microsoft as much as the 64bit system. We only use 64bit for CAD where we need loads of RAM.

From somewhere ,I seem to remember that it's the key that determines the level of Win 7( Home/pro/ULT) . Personally Win7 is my choice( I've got ULT) -it seems to run smoother and with less problems than even XP pro with all the add ons/ service packs /updates .
There's the choice of Outlook if you install Office . Never used it -so can't comment . I prefer live mail , seems to work as well ,if not better than OE .Seems strange to see ,what folks might se as an older computer person leaning toward the more modern stuff . But again ,when I need to format & re install ,I go back to basics ,and to me that means DOS .( the forgotten computer language) -which is guaranteed to kill any virus dead on format . That's where I miss Win98 - which would format a HDD quicker than any other means . Fdisk a HDD , setting a dos primary of 2gb -for Win98 - format from floppy -it's quick .Then install 98 - format next partition of aprox 10 gb for win 2k -install 2k ,then XP(partition of aprox 70GB) ,and finally win7 (on another 70GB) .Rest is reserved for my dos store of info /progs etc . oOnly problem is win2k not recognising large partitions ,till the large disc program is run . So win 2k is put on a smaller HDD,with 98 & XP .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This might tickle Ernest's fancy - I too laugh at the idea that we should all jin Farcebook to passon our secrets - but now DOGS :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... +Facebook+