The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 01:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Petition -Sigs needed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 16:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I've found this on PH, and with apologies to all copied the post .

Quote:
Just a heads up of this government petition against the plans for part privatisation of the police.

Please sign it should you feel inclined.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30722

I've signed it and feel they need our help as much as we need theirs,as public servants .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 03:50 
User

botoch, My friend, I am very sorry, I don't want to offend you or denigrate you in any way but!.........many years ago, although I had left the mining industry many years before, I still had many friends in the mining community who were then being unlawfully beaten into submission and vilified by a right wing government, a compliant press, and a willing police force. Declared as "militants" and "Troublemakers" their industry was almost completely shut down and privatised. Their sons and grandsons have never worked since because in their area there is no work, many of these mines where in rural areas and a "bike" wasn't the answer to find it.
I now have coal trains almost hourly passing by my home bringing in foreign coal from the docks to the coal fired power stn nearby. the coal may, or may not, be cheaper.......but is it really cheaper than 30yrs of unemployment in our own mining areas? The crime that ensued because of it? The breakdown of society in those regions? The deficit in the balance of payments just to ensure that a privatised power company makes a "private" profit and it's CEO gives himself a 50% rise?

I remember the 1980's, I remember the BBC reversing the film, reversing the chain of events when the police horses charged the miners, killing one man as a result. The miners then retaliating and charging the police whilst they waved their "overtime" payments slips at the miners who had had nothing for 12 months and were almost starving! The filming was reversed to show that the miners charged first when that was NOT true

"D" notices, preventing reporting of certain instances were flying everywhere, so much for our: "free society"!

Now when I need a Police presence, I'm told that: "It's a civil matter, there's nothing that we can do" or "We're very busy you know" etc. etc.

botach I'm sorry.....but I'm forced to say that: .. What goes around comes around"!
NOW! It's your turn........please do no not expect MY sympathy.
Welcome to the real privatisation world.....
I hope that you enjoy it....remember, it can only get worse!

With regret, but at the same time, very heartfelt
Draco.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 23:03 
User

At the risk of going a bit off topic, Whenever anybody mentions the Miners strike I always think of this....

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/images ... igure3.jpg

The "Game" is to spot the "Thatcher Years" without peeking at the dates along the bottom of the picture!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 01:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I've worked with a lot of ex miners, who took their skills to rail contractors. After a few years they were cast aside ,as the need for profit hit the rail network . The cry was for contractors who would work under any conditions. Such my friends is privatisation . The police, police , on the whole, by common consent,and again .on the whole, without fear or favour. They do not have any allegiance to any private firm ,or politics. That is he way it should be. But if we hand control of certain aspects of policing to private firms, we might see what happened when Group 4 took over the prison transfer system . Taken to extremes, we might see private security firms patrolling our estates. And done as insurance companies decide on post codes.
Perhaps they might decide that one post code is out of bounds. What then . The humble PC never does. He might decide to wait on backup, but he'll attend, even at the risk of his life. I've worked with the police from PC to high ranks in this area, and never found them wanting. We asked for their support, they gave. I now feel ,from hearing appeals from coppers, on various sites, that they need our support ,as a show of strength , to help them . They've given me & my family support , now it's payback time . So come on - get on line and support .