Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 18:52 

More health and safety madness...whose health and whose safety have they in mind, I sometimes wonder!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rules.html

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 21:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
‘The officers were trained to go into ankle deep water, which is level one, so we waited for level two officers, who can go into chest high.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1n8uvtYxB

Possibly the older of us can remember a song poking fun at the gas board .Started sonething like "T'was on a monday morning the gas men came to call" .We all that it was a poke at the gas men . But something about level one and level two depths ,makes me wonder if it's all coming true . What next , the RNLI being told that they can't go out in more than gale force X winds .
Or another recolection is from from first aid training a lot of years ago ,when we were told that only a doctor is qualified to define life/death . All other persons MUST consider the casualty to be alive untill then ,and unless there's severe risk to the rescurer ,try and help the casualty .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 21:50 
User

It has nothing to do with health and safety.
No health and safety regulation says: "level one is 6 inches"
Typical of both newspapers and fire service/police/ambulance to blame health and safety instead of their gross misinterpretation of a faulty risk assessment procedure.
That is, of course, IF the newspaper report is accurate.....which in this day and age is highly suspect, given the intense political posture adopted by all the press and information media.
Rather an insult to the several hundred who die every year from largely preventable accidents, and the thousands who will die from industrial disease.
Oh, and 25% of drownings occur in water less than three feet deep.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 23:24 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
Or another recolection is from from first aid training a lot of years ago ,when we were told that only a doctor is qualified to define life/death . All other persons MUST consider the casualty to be alive untill then ,and unless there's severe risk to the rescurer ,try and help the casualty .

That was a perfect catch-22 in Mountain Rescue work. As non-medics we weren't allowed to pronounce a person dead so had to evacuate them. But the coroner's officer - usually the local bobby - takes a very dim view of people who remove a dead body before it has been established that there are no suspicious circumstances.

But with hypothermia it can be very difficult, even for medic., to determine whether the body is alive or dead. Hence the rule - there are no cold dead bodies only warm ones.

Apropos the OP. It is interesting and sad that non of the "non-official" bystanders made any attempt to rescue the poor bloke.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 09:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe it makes me unprofessional but I would have said bollocks to you I’m getting him out. You can sack me or back me. :x

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 15:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Maybe it makes me unprofessional but I would have said bollocks to you I’m getting him out. You can sack me or back me. :x

Personally ,I'd have been straight in . But with rope on .And I've done a lot more risk assesments than some of these blokes .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 
Site Admin

When I trained as a lifeguard and backed up the RNLI inshore, we trained how to be careful in either driving into unknown waters or to wade in (preference) and I most certainly would have gone in in a millisecond. I to would also if available (using my own rope if necessary) would have waded in.
There is a very small lake I know of though that has an algae problem, and that might see me do different things but I'd still be doing something.
I feel like making a personal complaint to the services involved for apparently making no attempt to help ! Utterly pathetic! :shock:

I'd fire them if that was their only real excuse. I appreciate though that the report may not be the whole picture.

To stand and watch someone die, is just neigh unforgivable, when it is part of your job to help.
Is it now the attitude that if they wait long enough to respond that people will be dead so they can take their time. They certainly had no B&T when Paul died and that still grips with me. Have we really decided to stop 'trying'? In which case I'll give up paying that section of my council tax and become independent and perhaps take my chances? Is that really what this may encourage people to do?
Yet on some of these TV programmes we see time and time again, for some people, an over supply of services for someone who has done no more than sprain or badly bruise themselves.

I wonder if this is the result of the 'priority system' at play. Some computer programmer has set up a level and then all response results but a slight altered entry of data sees everyone sit back and wait!

What is the point in paying for services, if they start to choose if they will help or not. Hoax calls are a real issue though.

No wonder this Country is awarding in some cases 'hero badges' to people who are simply doing their job!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 13:42 

It does make you wonder how much faith we can put in the so called "emergency services" any more. Maybe all round safety is becoming like road safety, whereby the people on the ground, in the know (like trafpol) are being dictated to by knowall/ do nothing useful, controllers sat in offices going by the guidebook, rather than using common sense and real life experience to determine what is safe or not?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 15:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can’t remember who the American philosopher was that said ‘if you want to know about the job, ask those who are doing it!’. Certainly in my profession, if I can call it that, there are people in high management positions whom seem to actively avoid seeing or seeking what happens at grass routes level. Others are simply in denial or will never be affected; many MP's in fact.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 19:47 
Site Admin

Was the Ambulance Service priority system brought in by the EU by any chance ? (Does anyone recall?)
They have certainly demanded that we in the UK act as they choose, despite the fact that we are (or were) an independent Democratic State. .... :(
(edited)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 14:36 
User

Unfortunately this country signed-up to the Maastricht Treaty, which established the European Union.
Effectively the UK parliament became a subsidiary of the European Parliament. In any case, EU laws not only over-ride UK laws but BECOME UK laws. They are issued as "directives" which HAVE to be adopted unless a negotiated opt-out can be arranged (which has a time limit....as in the working Time Directive)
It is what people get for not paying attention, and putting FAR, FAR, and even more FAR too much trust in the """FREE""" press (which in the real world is part-and-parcel of Big Business, which buys and sells MP's)
So, to precis:
Our laws are issued by the EU.
We therefore need only a hundred MP's instead of 650.
Remember that next election.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 16:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jomukuk wrote:
Unfortunately this country signed-up to the Maastricht Treaty, which established the European Union.
Effectively the UK parliament became a subsidiary of the European Parliament. In any case, EU laws not only over-ride UK laws but BECOME UK laws. They are issued as "directives" which HAVE to be adopted unless a negotiated opt-out can be arranged (which has a time limit....as in the working Time Directive)
It is what people get for not paying attention, and putting FAR, FAR, and even more FAR too much trust in the """FREE""" press (which in the real world is part-and-parcel of Big Business, which buys and sells MP's)
So, to precis:
Our laws are issued by the EU.
We therefore need only a hundred MP's instead of 650.
Remember that next election.

:clap: :clap: :clap: - Been saying that for yonks. PERHAPS , Mr Cameroon ,et all should be apraised of that - and the EU might just make them redundant.
Imagine that - at jobcentre -"Now Mr Cameroon , your last job" - UK Priime Minister " ,"and you let the EU take over the UK, in spiteof all your promises" ."but, but " - "The EU hole diggers is looking for jobseekers- join the queue" :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 
User

Quote:
"Now Mr Cameroon , your last job" - UK Prime Minister "

Now it would be more like:

"Thank you Mr Cameron.
You say your qualifications include a degree in Politics, Philosophy and economics and you previous employment was a Prime Minister.
Have you looked at the Jobsearch unit ?
No. Ok. We'll just look here then. Hmm, no positions come up for Prime Minister (didn't Mr Farange get on well at the last election ?)...Ok, we'll look at positions requiring PPE degrees.
No, most positions require useful degree status, things like Mathematics, English or a Science degree.
I think we're looking at either work placement or workfare here.
Now, you do understand that this is a voluntary scheme where you attend a place of employment (such as Tesco stores) for a period of time (say 12 weeks), at the end of that time we will both look at your achievements and decide if you deserve a permanent position.
Pay ?
Oh, you already get £68.80 Jobseekers Allowance and we supplement that with a travel bonus for your placement period and you MAY qualify for a family bonus as well.
Oh, I'm sorry you do not want to attend.....you DO understand that while the attendance is VOLUNTARY and there is no penalty for refusing to attend, your Jobseekers Allowance is dependant upon you being available for and actively seeking work ?
I'm going to have to refer your refusal of this position to a DECISION MAKER [spoken in a low voice with a hint of awe] who may decide to lower your benefit or suspend it. You do have a right of appeal. Here is your client appointment for the week after next.
Goodbye"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 16:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jomukuk wrote:
Quote:
"Now Mr Cameroon , your last job" - UK Prime Minister "

Now it would be more like:

"Thank you Mr Cameron.
You say your qualifications include a degree in Politics, Philosophy and economics and you previous employment was a Prime Minister.
Have you looked at the Jobsearch unit ?
No. Ok. We'll just look here then. Hmm, no positions come up for Prime Minister (didn't Mr Farange get on well at the last election ?)...Ok, we'll look at positions requiring PPE degrees.
No, most positions require useful degree status, things like Mathematics, English or a Science degree.
I think we're looking at either work placement or workfare here.
Now, you do understand that this is a voluntary scheme where you attend a place of employment (such as Tesco stores) for a period of time (say 12 weeks), at the end of that time we will both look at your achievements and decide if you deserve a permanent position.
Pay ?
Oh, you already get £68.80 Jobseekers Allowance and we supplement that with a travel bonus for your placement period and you MAY qualify for a family bonus as well.
Oh, I'm sorry you do not want to attend.....you DO understand that while the attendance is VOLUNTARY and there is no penalty for refusing to attend, your Jobseekers Allowance is dependant upon you being available for and actively seeking work ?
I'm going to have to refer your refusal of this position to a DECISION MAKER [spoken in a low voice with a hint of awe] who may decide to lower your benefit or suspend it. You do have a right of appeal. Here is your client appointment for the week after next.
Goodbye"

:clap: :clap: :hello: -love that one .
Now ,let's look at Mr Clegg ( something Claire would regard as a nsaty biting insect -something like a horsefly) ,and his "we'll cut prices at a stroke" mate,Osbus. ( Perhaps a new idea for Government cars- re invent Reliant ,and have them make LWB Robins) .
Especially with the "privatisation " of the police(we've already seen how PFI works in the social housing sector - it's like Labour - not working). I'd have suggested that nationalisation ,with one force ,with one IT department/one HR department /one of everything might have been more cost effective .