Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 23:35 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17704116

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 22:59 
Life Member
Life Member

Interesting that pollution blown in from the continent is mentioned, when I saw a news item about London facing EU fines for pollution I wondered how much of it was coming from them in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 02:10 
Site Admin

Article :
BBC News wrote:
Traffic pollution kills 5,000 a year in UK, says study
17 April 2012 Last updated at 14:45
By Roland Pease BBC Radio Science Unit

Traffic Traffic pollution occurs much nearer to people's homes than industrial emissions, the authors say

Road pollution is more than twice as deadly as traffic accidents, according to a study of UK air quality.
The analysis appears in Environmental Science and Technology, carried out by Steve Yim and Steven Barrett, pollution experts from MIT in Massachusetts.
They estimate that combustion exhausts across the UK cause nearly 5,000 premature deaths each year.
The pair also estimate that exhaust gases from aeroplanes cause a further 2,000 deaths annually.
By comparison, 2010 saw, 1,850 deaths due to road accidents recorded.

Overall, the study's findings are in line with an earlier report by the government's Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollutants (COMEAP), which found that air pollution in 2008 was responsible for about 29,000 deaths in the UK.
The new study arrives at a slightly lower annual figure of 19,000, a difference the lead author of the COMEAP study, Fintan Hurley, attributes to differing methodology.

Breaking down pollution
The latest study adds to the debate by breaking down mortality rates according to sector - transport, energy and industry.
The researchers combine models of atmospheric circulation and chemistry with source data and clinical studies to arrive at their independent figures for the health effects of pollution.
Oil refinery (Getty Images) The findings challenge the traditional view that industrial plants are the main source of pollution

Although the popular perception of air pollution involves images of smoke stacks billowing out toxic black fumes into the atmosphere, industry and the power sector turn out to kill fewer than vehicle emissions, the data shows.
"Cars and lorries emit right by where people live and work and so have a greater impact," explains lead author Steven Barrett.
The findings also pinpoint where the deaths happen: 2,200 every year in Greater London, another 630 in both Greater Manchester and West Midlands.
Because the model includes Europe-wide weather patterns, it also reveals how far the deadly effects of air pollution can reach.
Of the 19,000 annual UK deaths estimated, 7,000 are due to pollutants blown in from the continent. In London, European pollutants add 960 deaths each year to the 2,200 caused by UK combustion fumes.

Source: Dr Steven Barrett
UK metropolitan area Estimated deaths linked to UK combustion emissions Estimated deaths linked to UK + EU combustion emission
Greater London 2,200 3,160
Greater Manchester 630 810
West Midlands 630 820
West Yorkshire 520 700
South Yorkshire 350 480
Yorkshire and Humber 280 390
Merseyside 240 310

But the international trade in deaths goes both ways. More than 3,000 European deaths can be attributed to UK emissions the authors say.
"We are all in this together," agrees Fintan Hurley of COMEAP.
"If one city were to clean up its traffic, it would still be dealing with pollution from traffic elsewhere."
“We estimate the premature deaths are costing the UK at least £6 billion a year”

Dr Steven Barrett Study co-author
The propensity for air pollution to straddle boundaries has political, as well as medical, implications.
The UK is currently facing the threat of prosecution by the European Union for serial violations of air-quality standards.
But the new study suggests that 40% of the key pollutant, PM2.5 (particles up to 2.5 micrometres in diameter) comes from abroad.
"The EU-attributable particulates in London are likely to have significantly contributed to the violations, because they raised the background concentration on which local short-term peaks were superimposed," explains Steven Barrett.

Not that these legal niceties are of any help to those most at danger from polluted air. The analysis identifies key improvements that would help reduce the health burden of air pollution.
Practical measures include the reduction of black carbon emitted in car exhausts - especially from older cars that fail to burn their fuel completely.
Reductions in nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions would also help, though perhaps at a cost of making vehicles less efficient.
Far more effective, experts say, would be to invest in public transport, taking cars off the road altogether.

Such improvements would come at a cost, but so does continuing with business as usual.
"We estimate the premature deaths are costing the UK at least £6 billion a year," says Steven Barrett, "and perhaps as much as £60 billion."
For comparison, Crossrail is projected to cost £14.8 billion to build and expected to remove 15,000 car journeys during the morning peak.
Meanwhile, Steven Barrett is moving his attention to another form of public transport, and hopes soon to conclude a detailed assessment of the health impacts of either a third runway at Heathrow and of the alternative Thames Estuary Airport proposal.
No doubt the 'smell sensors' will become the norm all over the UK and 'yet' another way to penalise travel then. Or perhaps there are reports that show all this to be 'not the case' and state other reasons and thoughts? :scratchchin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 
User

I get problems with these "studies".
They identify the problem and try to allocate causes.
I would really like them to have attempted to allocate some of the pollution to things like...trucks...and buses...instead of the blanket allocation of "motor vehicles"
I also have problems with the stats given on catalytic converters....very nice graphics though:
Everything goes down.....the output is given as carbon dioxide, water and nitrogen.
None of them is a black deposit on the exhaust though....
And what about industrial pollution ?
A brief read of a relatively un-politically-motivated source informs that the whole pollution in towns thing is far from simple:
http://www.air-quality.org.uk/06.php
http://www.air-quality.org.uk/04.php
The site is a good source of thinking material

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:05 
Site Admin

Most interesting site. It seems to have been written by Joseph Buchdahl ref : http://laytheodds.com/interviews-review ... -buchdahl/
It comes across as being totally unbiased which I like as it focuses on claimed facts and information.
I was a bit perturbed by the fact that there is no reference that I could find as to who wrote it and who holds the copyright.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 13:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder if exercise is as healthy a pursuit as doing nothing? If you breathe in more air that means more toxins, so do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks? Do the Scots glow in the dark from the Chernobyl disaster of 86? Have you ever pointed a Geiger counter at yourself Claire? :wink:

I hate it when I’m on my bicycle stuck behind a bus belching out all manner of yuck. That can’t be good for us fitness fanatics... :x Anyone ever looked at the air filter of a car? That's our lungs that is :yuck:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 14:43 
User

Unlike the air filter of a vehicle, the lungs clean themselves (unless you are/have-been a smoker)
The coarse pollution is not much of a problem, the really fine particulates are much worse....the ones below 10 microns tend to be taken into the bodies systems....
When in industry, and forced to wear a facemask, I took great satisfaction from pointing-out to them (company stooges) that the filters actually passed most of the harmful particles and stopped the ones that the lungs got rid of themselves....