Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 06:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speedwatchlive.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 13:39 
Site Admin

I found this site looking for something else : http://www.speedwatchlive.com/blog?start=28

And noted the many stories and how it is all such a mish-mash (?sp?) of people telling authorities what they should do. More worrying was that in none of the cases I read has any authority once said that they will or have consulted with their road safety engineers !? :scratchchin:
Most troubling! Is this 'democratic' road safety by a few through loud propaganda messages ?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Speedwatchlive.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:51 

After reading that I think I am going to jump off a cliff...after reading what they are saying, you would think that the world is going to end tomorrow, through a pandemic of speeding maniacs....i'm just glad that i don't have to leave the house and can stay the rest of my life in this cotton wool cocoon......maybe i can rent some space in it to some of the "speedwatch" volunteers...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 21:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
It' seems to be a nationwide infection ( see my post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26175) ,on local to me. Local busybodies create a noise about speeding vehicles, and politically insensed police hierarchy rush out speed teams to the areas. Result ,a low percentage of vehicles are over the limit.BUT,by how much ? AND did tyhe conditions warrant a lower speed, or that of the limit, or even ( in a lot of cases the limit that existed before the political degrading of limits) .
Mean while,as a neighbourhood watch co -inordinator ,I regularly get reports of break ins. The more I get ,the more it seems that Peter E's avature is being shown as the truth in crime policing.
Then today, I had a trip to nearest Tesco for fuel ( at 6p/litre ,the three mile trip makes it worth while). On a major island, I found one exit conned off at the exit. I was positive I'd seen no warning signs,and on return checked. The only one I could see was on the exit prior to the obstruction . On the way back,I saw one of Warks patrol cars in a petrol station ,and informed the PC. I got the impression that he was not in the slightest interested , and as I had to return via this island I followed him ,to see him exit before the obstruction .This meant he'd not see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 03:14 
Site Admin

I am sure they are making as much noise as they can about the places that do take it up but it is in the minority. Some places have sensible people that put forward questions 'Do we know that we have a problem in the first place' ?

But of course those places don't get the publicity!
There is sense out there but it is the quiet locations and there are many more of them thankfully. In fact I haven't seen any speed watch groups out in simply ages! It is well known that once they start booking neighbours and friends they start to fall away ... they fail. The whole sorry mess is little more than a propaganda exercise, that has no place in any proper and intelligent road safety policy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 08:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
In fact I haven't seen any speed watch groups out in simply ages! It is well known that once they start booking neighbours and friends they start to fall away ... they fail. The whole sorry mess is little more than a propaganda exercise, that has no place in any proper and intelligent road safety policy.
It's the rain keeping them indoors. You think they would be keen to get out as we all know it's much more hazardous in the wet.

I totally agree that CSW is just propaganda that "something" is being done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 21:45 
Life Member
Life Member

You've realised this website is trying to sell a speed camera alert smartphone app?

The blog is just a collation of related news stories. I imagine they have a google alert set up then just chuck links to anything relevent on their blog to generate traffic.

(let's see if third attempt to post works)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 15:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The one thing from there which I thought was good, for which PC Roger Reynolds deserves a big hand I think, was the abuse of speed cameras and how their original intention has been bastardized. From ‘Speed cameras: 20 years on”. In his own words: -

“I think it’s a fiasco now,”

“We were trying to catch the worst. “At no time did I prosecute below 40mph in a 30mph,” he says. “To do so at 32mph is ridiculous – and they wonder why there’s a backlash against speed cameras.”

“When you put a camera in, the number of speeders always reduces. Suddenly there’s no money coming in, so they drop the trigger speed from 38mph to 35mph to pay the bills,” says Reynolds. “What good did that do but alienate the public?” *

“It was never about the fines but about reducing fatalities and injuries. That was our pure motivation.

As he describes it, prosecution wasn’t the original aim. “The whole point was to remind people about speed, not to catch them,” he says. “Looking back over the 20 years since their introduction, it’s easy to see how speed cameras alienated drivers”.

So to me, he seems like a good guy motivated purely with a sincere desire to help KSI, before it became more about lies, deceit and money. It’s a shame there aren’t’ more like him in the force today.

*And just look what they are doing today with limits...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 19:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:
The one thing from there which I thought was good, for which PC Roger Reynolds deserves a big hand I think, was the abuse of speed cameras and how their original intention has been bastardized. From ‘Speed cameras: 20 years on”. In his own words: -

[i]“I think it’s a fiasco now,”

“We were trying to catch the worst. “At no time did I prosecute below 40mph in a 30mph,” he says. “To do so at 32mph is ridiculous – and they wonder why there’s a backlash against speed cameras.”

“When you put a camera in, the number of speeders always reduces. Suddenly there’s no money coming in, so they drop the trigger speed from 38mph to 35mph to pay the bills,” says Reynolds. “What good did that do but alienate the public?” *

“It was never about the fines but about reducing fatalities and injuries. That was our pure motivation.

*And just look what they are doing today with limits...

Then , when local SCP were getting their cut from the income, a lot got greedy. At one time ,SS members analysed the audits of a lot of SCP,and it was strange that some SCP could take in similar sums and return very significantly differing returns to HMG. And as we all know HMG ,don't like thieves ( it's direct competition) ,so out went the commission system and in came grant allocation. So with funding drying up ,the inventive SCP dreamt up SAC, with a percentage going to the SCP,but no points. It's not only the earning trigger point that's dropped, but the speed at which local SCP don't get a cut has risen accordingly .

As for the Speedwatch community, perhaps ( hopefully) an outbreak of some affliction has occurred with the old dears being out in the bad weather .