Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tone's new cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 23:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Err.. Might sound a bit weird now but - she smells lovely :)

It's her natural, self-cleaning, self :?

I've sniffed a few animals in my time, by virtue of being near enough to know I don't want to get much closer. But there's a sort of fragrance about her.

I mean I've been near some humans who smell like a week old discarded kebab. Hec. there have been times, when camping rough, and I noticed the crabs running from my crotch and jumping off a cliff. (I'm not selling myself well here, I know :P ). Moving on...

And I once read a humorous thing about how "it's impossible to describe the smell of a wet dog" :lol:

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that in the hope someone else knows what I mean. (Throw me a bone someone). I enjoy sticking my conk in her fur :D. She just looks at me like I'm nut, again...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 23:28 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
"Crepuscular"? I'll have to look that one up. :) (Sounds like someone addicted to pancakes to me :P. )

Why your cat wakes you up at 4am in the morning

Quote:
This is dedicated to everyone who’s been woken up at the crack of dawn by their cat!

The truth is, it may not be hunger that drives your cat to rouse you.

It’s because cats are crepuscular – a great word that describes activity that takes place at twilight, i.e. at dawn and dusk.

Prey tends to be active during those hours too, and so cats naturally evolved to take advantage of Mr Mouse’s social hours.

If anyone tells you cats are creatures of the night, that’s not technically true. Cats have superb night vision, but even they can’t see in pitch-black darkness, so cats tend to sleep when it’s dark/night.

So, what can you do if your cat’s crepuscular peak hours don’t coincide with yours?

Goes without saying: don’t allow your cat to share your bed/bedroom. [i.e. do as I say and not as I do, said she who shares her bed with 2 Maine Coons and is slave to their dawn chorus]. And best to shut your cats at night in a room as far away from the bedroom as possible so that you don’t hear them scratching the door in the morning.

If your cats are your bed companions, try getting black-out curtains to shut out the early-morning sun. That might buy you a bit of time [but not much - I have black-out curtains].

Try ear plugs to block out their crepuscular cries. [Works a bit, but not much use when the cat decides to walk on your face, or make bread on your chest]

Try keeping your cat awake during the day, so that it sleeps for longer at night. Apparently, cats sleep up to 16 hours a day!

And I don’t know if it’s true, but a psychic once told me that cats journey in their sleep, i.e. their spirits leave their bodies and go on a kind of astral hike which is why they sleep so much. The same psychic added that cats have the ability to absorb entities – whatever that means.

Oh, and here's a cat in a washbasin :D

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 19:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Enjoyed the cat in a washbasin thanks Peter :D

This is really for cat-lovers who may search and stumble upon this thread...

I noticed some blood on the white throw-over thingy on my big sofa the other day. I actually noticed some red on my floor before this but didn't read too much into it :stupidme:

Anyway, this was blood red and still wet! I texted my friend, who I got Becks from, and asked if she had definitely been neutered. His reply was "yes 100%"

As the neighbour of the 82 year old lady whom Becks previously belonged to, he knew her from a kitten and her history. (I thought it was, well, you know... A woman thing)

So I phoned around and the vets I called charged £30 for a consultancy, or thereabouts. Long story short, I took her to a wonderful, beautiful, place I have been to many times over the years. (Gratuitous ad next). Cramar cat sanctuary.

£22 and the vet, as well as being lovely herself, was absolutely brill!!! She controlled and handled Becks like putty in her hands in a way I never could! :bow:

Now I hadn't noticed it but Becks had a claw which had grown into her paw and blood was all around it. Before you judge me, she never walked with a limp and runs up the garden like a nut. So how was I to know? :oops:

The vet clipped all her nails and give her what I would call 'a full kit inspection'. She told me something I thought interesting, that the front nails keep growing, rather like a rabbits teeth, but the nails on the rear paws don't.

Anyway, she's fine now and I can stop worrying... :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.