Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 23:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 13:36 
Site Admin

Gesture recognition: coming to a car near you

By Roger Stansfield - 6:30AM BST 19 Aug 2012
New technology could allow drivers to operate car radio, telephone and climate control with a wave of the hand or raise of the eyebrow.
Gesture recognition: coming to a car near you
Long wave: Manufacturers are currently working on gesture recognition technology that could be used to control in-car audio systems Photo: ALAMY

Imagine being able to operate your car radio, telephone or climate control settings just by making simple hand gestures. Consumer electronics experts believe it is the next logical step after central control switches, touch-screens and voice commands.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January, Mercedes-Benz showed an experimental system called DICE (Dynamic & Intuitive Control Experience), which lets drivers perform basic functions with a hand gesture.

And Harman – whose various brands include Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL and Mark Levinson – is also working on integrating gesture recognition into future infotainment systems.

Harman is currently building up a "gesture catalogue", based on its studies of human behaviour. The gestures will need to be intuitive and easily recognised and differentiated by sensors, says Hans Roth, the company's director of technology, marketing and business development.

Anything that smacks of driver distraction will have to be avoided or users could be open to prosecution. At the same time the gestures will have to be movements that people might already make when operating electronic features to gain acceptance.

Roth believes infra-red sensors will be the best solution for cars, and that the ideal position for them will be somewhere near the gearlever so that they operate over only a small area. That would prevent accidental use by other people in the car.

"It will be no different to taking your hands off the wheel to shift gear or change the radio station," he says. "As with everything, it will be the responsibility of the driver to operate the car safely."

And hand gestures are not the only option under study – facial expressions are also being considered. Well, Roger Moore enjoyed a successful career as James Bond by seeming to do little more than occasionally raise an eyebrow, so why not?

"They would eliminate the need for drivers to take a hand off the wheel, but they have one drawback – social acceptability," says Roth. "We are at a very early stage with facial expression recognition and need to tread very carefully in that area, but I believe we will see some form of gesture recognition in cars within two to three years".
Kinda curious ! Certainly being able to retain your 'hands on the wheel' for indicating or light control, could become just a new way of operation, than distraction .... but what if it fails ? Is there a standard operation and do motorists then become distracted in trying to operate it physically again ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 15:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can recognise quite a few gestures made by other drivers already!

Seriously, this is pointless. What is trying to be accomplished? If it is not moving your hands from the wheel then this is already here with voice control (which works very well BTW).

I think they should make a sensor which detects the driver turning round to talk to rear seat passengers. I went on a longish motorway journey once with a guy who had to look round at you to speak and it frightened the life out of me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Gesture recognition - I can think of a use for that - a RPG attachment on top of my car, linked to a sensor which senses the idiot who's just pulled out in front of me and responds to my use of the horn to alert them to my presence and responds with a gesture of two fingers rampant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:47 

I suppose the "putting both hands over ones' eyes" gesture could mean "I'd like to apply the brakes quite hard now..."!

I'd have thought the company would have been better off trying to market this technology to scamera partnerships to go with their nice new digital cameras, rather than car manufacturers. That way the scammers could see all the approving gestures habitually made to their devices by the grateful motoring public!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 19:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
I suppose the "putting both hands over ones' eyes" gesture could mean "I'd like to apply the brakes quite hard now..."!

!

I'd suggest it's more like Cap'n Pugwash discovering some truth about road safety that shatters their whole belief in cameras .He can't believe it,so he covers his eyes hoping it#s going to go away .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 21:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is greenshed auditioning for the part of Master Bates? :wink:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 23:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Is greenshed auditioning for the part of Master Bates? :wink:

I'd say he's been kicked out of PH, where he upsets folks no end, and has to flee . he's come in here looking to terrify some newbie and cause problems. I've suggested that he be kicked out, especially after the letter on "official headed paper", but he still seems to be immune to any sort of sanction. I'm not the only member asking for action to be taken. Perhaps we need a vote on whether he's welcome in here. Not because he gives an alternative option to what we stand for, but because of his obnoxious views.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 22:40 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
an experimental system called DICE

You gesture, the dice are rolled and the selected control activated.

The Harry Potter films have a lot to answer for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 22:55 

Quote:
especially after the letter on "official headed paper",

What's all that about? have I missed something funny?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.