Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 19:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car parks get anpr
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:29 
User

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/15/parkreg/

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Car parks get anpr
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
If there's no account then the driver is given a little time to pay by other means (paythru can take registrations though a .mobi site) but eventually a fine will be issued which can be served via the DVLA details linked to the plate.

Although the "other means" are not explicit, what if you don't have a mobile phone (like a lot of elderly people)?

The airport car parks have had this system for a long time but in combination with a pre-booking system rather than a mobile number.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:30 
User

The register said:
Quote:
Should the car park really be a worry then travel by motorcycle, as SwishPARK admits that the lack of front plate makes two-wheeled transport invisible to them.

...then why not turn the cameras around and point at the rear of all vehicles?

I can't recall ever reading anything in the Register that was worth reading; it's complete bollix.

Maybe if I read "British man says wot we am printing is bollix sensation" then that would be a first for me; an accurate headline in the register.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Got a simpler system if it's just me. It's called "BUS PASS" :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 
User

How is the payment collected from a mobile?
I don't use a mobile phone, but have one to use in case of emergencies, so use Orange pay as you go.

I don't keep a lot of credit on it - less than £10, and it is not linked to an account.

I tried to use it to pay in York last year, and it would not let me proceed passed the initial connection. As the cash pay machine was broken, I ended up parking somewhere I didn't have to pay!

The National Trust have a pay by phone arrangement - but several of the car parks where it is in place have no reliable mobile coverage!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 15:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
How is the payment collected from a mobile?
I don't use a mobile phone, but have one to use in case of emergencies, so use Orange pay as you go.

I don't keep a lot of credit on it - less than £10, and it is not linked to an account.

I tried to use it to pay in York last year, and it would not let me proceed passed the initial connection. As the cash pay machine was broken, I ended up parking somewhere I didn't have to pay!

The National Trust have a pay by phone arrangement - but several of the car parks where it is in place have no reliable mobile coverage!

Ernest- I've got two ( bit of a techno geriatric, I know) -one is a Vodafone(PAYG), with a family plan - me/wife/ daughter ( and in case she needs someone to get her out of problems,and she's done the teenage girl thing of running out of credit) grandaughter. For most calls -it's simply too dear. Almost 40p/minute is not on . Landline - I don't want to be tied to a contract. So I got a Lycamobile SIM- lots cheaper to other mobiles, and 5p /minute to normal landlines( not 0800 etc).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 20:59 
User

Are payments taken from the credit on the phone, or added to your bill if you are on a contract - I don't want a contract, as for long periods, I don't use the phone!

Is that why the system in York didn't want to respond to my phone?

South Lakeland now have machines that require you to enter your registration number before you pay - on a keypad that is very awkwardly sited.
If you go to pay THEN enter the reg. number, it just blanks you until you realise you have to eject your coins, and start afresh.
Needless to say as they are new, queues build up while people try and work out the instructions!
You can also pay by credit card - although a lot of people are now reluctant to do this where the machine is unattended for long periods, and not monitored!

The machines have cost £340,000 to install - 66 machines in all. Their annual income is £4 million, but they cost £2 million to run!
The number of people who transfer their tickets is probably quite low, given you have to have time left on the ticket, AND be there as the other driver arrives at the machine AND if the remaining time is enough for them!
The result is local residential streets are becoming blocked by shoppers and workers parking - in some places blocking roads to emergency vehicles.
The public conveniences have been broken into to steal the cash - as were several car park machines last year, so it will be interesting to see how much it costs to fix these new machines if they become a target!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 13:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Are payments taken from the credit on the phone, or added to your bill if you are on a contract - I don't want a contract, as for long periods, I don't use the phone!

!

Ones I saw in station parks on the WCML gave a number to call-so presunably you paid by debit/credit card.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 
User

botach wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:

!

Ones I saw in station parks on the WCML gave a number to call-so presumably you paid by debit/credit card.

Oh that's OK then, I am happy to call a number on a sign and give my credit card details to the person at the other end, it's not like somebody would paste a fake sign over the old one, as an alternative to fitting a skimmer in the machines that read the credit card directly! :whome:

You can't say it wouldn't happen... have you seen the London Underground signs that have been cleverly altered to humorous alternatives? :lol:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1061509/shepherds-pie-nightmare-elm-st-pranksters-deface-londons-tube-map

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
!

Ones I saw in station parks on the WCML gave a number to call-so presumably you paid by debit/credit card.[/quote]
Oh that's OK then, I am happy to call a number on a sign and give my credit card details to the person at the other end, it's not like somebody would paste a fake sign over the old one, as an alternative to fitting a skimmer in the machines that read the credit card directly! :whome:

You can't say it wouldn't happen... have you seen the London Underground signs that have been cleverly altered to humorous alternatives? :lol:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1061509/shepherds-pie-nightmare-elm-st-pranksters-deface-londons-tube-map[/quote]

One reason I never use this sort. Also ,being a tight old sod, I can park in a supermarket one in town centre for two hours for nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:42 
User

Quote:
I don't want to be tied to a contract

Some 'phone companies (O2) have 30-day rolling contracts.....mine is one of such....10 quid a month for 100 minutes.
When the present (and continuing) economic "situation" exploded I decided to get out of long-term contracts, and over the past few years have reduced them to zero. Along with my credit card use, loans and moans !.
Given the nature of these "parking machines" I have no intention of using any of them. Especially as if anything does go wrong (unauthorised withdrawals) it is HIGHLY likely to be the responsibility of the cardholder.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing