The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 21:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FACEBOOK WARNING
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 22:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
We run only one account on the main PC and pick up our own mail via livemail. We use only one FB account ( in my name),so this has come in as an attempt to gain personal info ,and flash warnings to all.

1) Your account has been blocked due to spam activity.
To verify account, please follow this link:
http://www.facebook.com/confirmemail.ph ... &c=5848362 (Where aaa@aaa.co.uk is my wife's e mail address)
2) Your account has been blocked due to suspicious activity.
To re-activate account, please follow this link:
http://www.facebook.com/confirmemail.ph ... &c=6144941 (Where aaa@aaa.co.uk is my wife's e mail address)
Be very aware.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: FACEBOOK WARNING
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 05:16 

I'm not sure what you are posting here. Or why.

Were those the actual links or was that just what was displayed in the email with the links pointing somewhere else?

I'm guessing its a spam email you've been sent to try and gain access to your facebook account. In which case, just like the dozens of bank emails I get every week just ignore it. The links will take you to a fake facebook site which will ask for your password and then maybe your credit card number.

Go directly to facebook, log in as normal and if there is something they want you to do then you'll find out about it there.

Never click on links in emails you were not expecting.

Looks like a version of this. Nothing new or exciting. The person sending it probably doesn't even know if you have a facebook account.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 05:43 

While I was Googling I spotted your other thread. Nice, now I have your id from two websites, could be useful if I was up for some social engineering.

Quote:
have tried to get FB admin involved

FB will already know all about it, not a lot they can do. The site you'll be directed to will be some poor sods website which has been hacked, the emails will be coming from some botnet PCs. They shut the site down and the scammers will have another up and running in minutes.

But if you want to report it then the fb help pages say this.

Quote:
If you think you received a fake Facebook email, please forward this to phish@spamreport.facebook.com. While we won't reply to every report, we'll use this information to investigate and take action where possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 07:43 
User

If you usewindows, hover the cursor over the email they give you and click properties to get the true email....
After all, I can go:
www.badasssex.yoyo
which will take you not to that address but to safespeed.
It isn't what you see that matters..

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:

Were those the actual links or was that just what was displayed in the email with the links pointing somewhere else?

I'd suspect it's something akin to phishing, hence my warning to those with a FB account who might get taken in. The fact that it's been sent to someone who has not got a FB, account rings alarm bells with me. I just ignore it. I'd not bother reporting it to FB, as they probably know ,but will do nothing ,as long as it don't affect them adversly . I take this post as someone flashing a warning in advance of an accident. However, if this is being frowned on - p[erhaps it's not worth my while adviseing the unwary of this practice.As for the addresses in the posts elsewhere- they're throwaway ones .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do I need to tell you how to avoid these problems? Don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Have a miserable Christmas.

E Scrooge.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 23:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
Do I need to tell you how to avoid these problems? Don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Have a miserable Christmas.

E Scrooge.

:)

:clap:
Except that even e mail has fallen out of favour with my kids. Phone calls -"EH WAT". e mail - I send ,and get no reply . But FB , I do get some news .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 04:17 
Site Admin

Facebook and Twitter have become ways for business to try and obtain free promotion and in these hard times everything is welcome. :)
Why people put so much about themselves online or even under the control of someone else I cannot imagine ! :shock:

Just as others have said these are spam emails so be on your guard. I hope you didn't put in your details ? If you did contact Fb /Tw Admin immediately and change your u/n and p/w immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 21:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Facebook and Twitter have become ways for business to try and obtain free promotion and in these hard times everything is welcome. :)
Why people put so much about themselves online or even under the control of someone else I cannot imagine ! :shock:

Just as others have said these are spam emails so be on your guard. I hope you didn't put in your details ? If you did contact Fb /Tw Admin immediately and change your u/n and p/w immediately.

One of the e mails opened in windos live as WL started up. Knowing my wife had no FB account it went into the bin. This was a warning to those with FB accounts to be aware . To me it's like the spam e mails /texts on PPI( for that loan you never had) /Compensation ( for the injury/accident you never had) . My FB account gives no details/data, yet the one I've got listed gets enough spam to feed a third world country. That started when I joined.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 18:13 

botach wrote:
Homer wrote:

However, if this is being frowned on - p[erhaps it's not worth my while adviseing the unwary of this practice.As for the addresses in the posts elsewhere- they're throwaway ones .

Not frowned upon but I don't see any point in posting about this and not the LLoyds bank, Paypal, Bank of America, National Postal service, etc. emails I, and I assume everyone with an email account, gets every day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:
botach wrote:
Homer wrote:

However, if this is being frowned on - p[erhaps it's not worth my while adviseing the unwary of this practice.As for the addresses in the posts elsewhere- they're throwaway ones .

Not frowned upon but I don't see any point in posting about this and not the LLoyds bank, Paypal, Bank of America, National Postal service, etc. emails I, and I assume everyone with an email account, gets every day.

The bank phishin ones have had plenty of press ,so that folks will think twice about replying. But it's now FB , not so far away from e bay ones which are circulating. Similar text .