Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surprising Headline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 21:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My attention was drawn to a headline in the paper today which said "Village asks for higher speeds."

Unfortunately this was about broadband. :)

Community Speedwatch redefined.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Surprising Headline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 14:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
malcolmw wrote:
My attention was drawn to a headline in the paper today which said "Village asks for higher speeds."

Unfortunately this was about broadband. :)

Community Speedwatch redefined.

Careful Malcolm- lest you have a group of geriatric busybodies aiming a speed gun at your PC . :shock: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 
User

The "information superhighway".
Depending upon your "toll" (isp plan) you either go straight into the fast lane, or into a variable lane. When traffic gets more "dense" you are moved into the slow lane for a while. Of course, many are only allowed into the fast lane while "going home", while remaing in the "slow lane" permanently while "going to work".

?

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jomukuk wrote:
The "information superhighway".
Depending upon your "toll" (isp plan) you either go straight into the fast lane, or into a variable lane. When traffic gets more "dense" you are moved into the slow lane for a while. Of course, many are only allowed into the fast lane while "going home", while remaing in the "slow lane" permanently while "going to work".

?

And it's one of the few areas where the advertised benefits are over ridden by "up to" . I'm on a dongle advertised as
"7.2MBps" .It can get that high . The policy is a fair use one of 1GB a month "download" , but they either can't count ,or neglect to say that their definition of download ="uplload + download" . And even that figure can seem not right . Unless of course their odometer is innaccurate . :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:04 

I'm sorry have I missed something here?

Isn't SPEED DANGEROUS?.

Why would you want a faster computer? ;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone who says patience is a virtue obviously never had a slow internet connection. :-D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:26 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Anyone who says patience is a virtue obviously never had a slow internet connection. :-D

Hah, that reminds me of the joke (at least I took it to be a joke) about Margaret Thatcher once having claimed that "nothing is impossible" - but then admitting that she had never tried to cancel a subscription to Readers' Digest. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 14:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Add to that re Readers Digest on those who have won one of those prizes .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:48 
Site Admin

Big Tone wrote:

Ah but then computers hadn't even been invented when they said that of course ! Nor how reliant we have become on them for nearly everything in our public lives ! :(
Having a slow computer coupled to a slow internet is a recipe for major frustration!

If we can't get enough speed, we don't even get off the ground of course ! In every way ! :)

Botach - you mean that someone actually wins the Readers Digest thing !! - I did manage to cancel a RD thing but that was many years ago now and I dare say it was all paperwork then ! It did take a while though ! Fast enough to get you on board and then really, really, slow to stop ! Like a slow freight train - thinking of which, they need a freight train to deliver all the stuff to you !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 13:48 
User

TripleS wrote:
Hah, that reminds me of the joke (at least I took it to be a joke) about Margaret Thatcher once having claimed that "nothing is impossible" - but then admitting that she had never tried to cancel a subscription to Readers' Digest. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I cancelled with no trouble at all - once I realised that their biggest fear is that they have sent out the magazine with no prospect of being paid!
"Mr X has died, and therefore no longer requires your services signed Mrs X" is always effective! Use black edged paper for added effect! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 13:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

Botach - you mean that someone actually wins the Readers Digest thing !! - I did manage to cancel a RD thing but that was many years ago now and I dare say it was all paperwork then ! It did take a while though ! Fast enough to get you on board and then really, really, slow to stop ! Like a slow freight train - thinking of which, they need a freight train to deliver all the stuff to you !

Never heard of anyone winning. We bought a couple of books we liked then if it had been tins of spam we'd have fed for years .Can't remember how we pe'd them off .
[RANT] Nowadays with junk mail I just mark it"unwanted junk-RTS" ,OR if it's hand delivered ,I stick a lebel on it marked "hand delivered junk -RTS" .I don't see why I should pay my council to get rid of unwanted junk.[/RANT]

(PS - Admin - anyone got a "rant" smilie?)