It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DOGS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 13:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Just spotted this on a Dog (NO-NOT A DODGY OR DOGGING ONE) . :D :loco:

WARNING With winter upon us the roads are now being gritted, please please if you walk your dog on gritted roads/paths make sure their paws are washed away from the gritted surfaces or by dipping there feet in fresh water once home... why, you may be asking...

GRIT CONTAINS ANTI-FREEZE WHICH IS POISONOUS, ANTI-FREEZE TASTES SWEET TO DOGS, DOGS LIKE TO LICK THEIR FEET!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: DOGS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:10 

Also be wary of discarded tennis balls.

Quote:
On 25 November 2000, in Portland, Oregon, a chocolate-colored Labrador named Ivy was killed by an exploding tennis ball. She was being walked that morning by a friend of her owner while her owner was away on a fishing trip. The man came upon a tennis ball wrapped in tape lying in the median strip out front of the dog's home. After kicking at the ball a bit himself, he picked it up, thinking it would make a good toy for Ivy. He carried it with him for about an hour, tossing to Ivy at times so she could fetch it back to him. On one trip, she must have chomped down on her prize harder than usual and thereby triggered the fatal blast.

Also a good idea to keep your cats indoors. In fact keep them indoors all year round, little :censored: , sh*tting on my lawn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 14:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:

Also a good idea to ]keep your cats indoors[/url]. In fact keep them indoors all year round, little :censored: , sh*tting on my lawn.

:D :clap: I had bark chips out front -if i could have charged a penny a poo - I'd be a millionaire . Not so bad out the back - I could give Toby a bit of exercise . He loved cats .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RIGHT- humour aside.I know we've got some highways blokes on here . Is this a rumour, or something to worry about .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:45 

botach wrote:
RIGHT- humour aside.I know we've got some highways blokes on here . Is this a rumour, or something to worry about .

My first thought was that it was yet another bit of internet folklore. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything to disprove it.

I found a few instances of salt poisoning as above but I would guess it would take more than licking paws to cause that.

There's a thread on pistonheads with pics of sheep with their heads in the salt bins, so I think it's safe to say there's not much in there to worry about.

As far as I'm aware in the UK they don't add antifreeze to the grit, it's just grit, salt and something to help it stick (glucose?). Salt only works down to a certain temperature though so colder climates do use de-icing chemicals, generally only in towns though, maybe that's where the story came from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Soz -Homer - I've just lost one - causes unknown, and new one has problems with ice etc. Last one had no problems in snow with salt, but I'd not like to take chances . I'd hate to be hurt so soon again,if I can take steps to stop it .
Take a look at this

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 02:08 
Site Admin

I am unaware of anti-freeze in grit !
They have tried molasses which seriously increased deaths of sheep on the roads ! D'Oh !

I would have thought that too expensive for that to be true ...
I guess calling your local gritting agency ought to clear it up. Do report back here though ... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:
Also a good idea to keep your cats indoors. In fact keep them indoors all year round, little :censored: , sh*tting on my lawn.
Hey, no fair!

My little mog always does it in the bushes out of harms way, never on the lawn. Besides, if there’s a bigger problem than cats it is stupid dogs and their inconsiderate owners. There’s signs on most of the gates along a road by me because the residents are so :censored: off with the sh1te dumped and left on the pavement.

Also, my neighbour’s dog barks and howls from the second they leave it to the second they come back! I’ve never known a cat howling like its nuts are on fire for hours at a time.

Also, I’ve never known a cat chase me just because I’m on two wheels.

Also, I’ve never had a cat jump up at me with its filthy paws on my clean trousers.

Also, I’ve never had a cat desperate to shove it’s nose up my nads.

Also, I’ve never read a story about a cat killing a defenceless child in the street.

Also, cats are self-cleaning and smell nice even when wet.

Oh, and there's that thing associated with dog poo which blinds children.

I rest my case... (You could say I’m more of a cat person. Tesco should start making dog burgers :twisted: )

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i've got mail in with County & ward councillor to ask if this is true . Will report back, but in present climate- who knows if anyonw will be at work to ask .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 14:24 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Homer wrote:
Hey, no fair!

My little mog always does it in the bushes out of harms way, never on the lawn. Besides, if there’s a bigger problem than cats it is stupid dogs and their inconsiderate owners. There’s signs on most of the gates along a road by me because the residents are so :censored: off with the sh1te dumped and left on the pavement.

Also, my neighbour’s dog barks and howls from the second they leave it to the second they come back! I’ve never known a cat howling like its nuts are on fire for hours at a time.

Also, I’ve never known a cat chase me just because I’m on two wheels.

Also, I’ve never had a cat jump up at me with its filthy paws on my clean trousers.

Also, I’ve never had a cat desperate to shove it’s nose up my nads.

Also, I’ve never read a story about a cat killing a defenceless child in the street.

Also, cats are self-cleaning and smell nice even when wet.

Oh, and there's that thing associated with dog poo which blinds children.

I rest my case... (You could say I’m more of a cat person. Tesco should start making dog burgers :twisted: )

:lol: Well said, Tone. I think I can relate to most of that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 15:51 
Site Admin

...although Toxocariasis is valid for both dogs cats and foxes !

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxocarias ... ction.aspx
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001657/

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/f/foulin ... P1Vv2fiFNU

http://www.wightdogs.com/apps/forums/to ... ow/1278269
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 402AA2owqm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 614AAVHhAq

And since this topic is about dogs ... sadly my dog remains stolen and Police are still investigating various leads. I do get calls of possible sightings or areas to look in ... :( (Stolen 29.10.12)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh, sorry to hear that Claire :(

I was just playing devils advocate; I loved my, (girlfriend’s), Pug in America. I was more upset at leaving her than my girlfriend.

I know if anything happened to my cat I’d be devastated! I’m not sure what, if anything, can be done but I do hope you get yours back. I know how they become part of the family. I could never be cruel to any animal and hate people who are.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
...although Toxocariasis is valid for both dogs cats and foxes !

And since this topic is about dogs ... sadly my dog remains stolen and Police are still investigating various leads. I do get calls of possible sightings or areas to look in ... :( (Stolen 29.10.12)

New one(to me about foxes).
Dog front Claire -have you tried doglost.co.uk ?