Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 09:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cynical? Me?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 15:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After reading recently of many local road schemes going to the Council for approval, I have come to the conclusion that there is something that you have to do in your submission to guarantee approval and funding from the holders of the purse strings.

It's no good proposing a traffic scheme that will improve throughput, reduce journey times, make more parking available or be safer. The key to gaining approval is not to mention any benefits at all for motorists (in fact it would be better to be seen to be restricting cars) but instead to only mention that it will improve things for pedestrians and cyclists.

Even getting potholes filled-in can be magically achieved by this ploy. Just read the reports of traffic planning decisions in your local press to see if you agree. :) :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Cynical? Me?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 
User

You just mention "environmental benefits"
Less pollution because vehicles are travelling slower (sic)
Reduced CO2 emissions, so the planet will not warm (ignoring the problem that it isn't warming at anywhere like the temperature it is prophesied to rise...and that CET temps have been stable for over a century)
So you can see that potholes can be beneficial in all the above.
If there are more accidents as a result of bad maintenance then it is speed that is at fault.
I could also mention the endemic corruption at the heart of the political system.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Post subject: Re: Cynical? Me?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 01:36 
Site Admin

Sadly that seems to be true of many funding requests too. I know that it is rife in the Film Industry and it begs the question, how much does Government (and or others) contribute Political demands throughout Social Engineering through every funding possibility throughout society?
Thus convincing or encouraging people's thoughts and 'belief's' to go down certain paths, than a more freely considered thought process, when not presented with those 'convincing' repetitive theme's ?