The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's over, isn't it?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 20:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
One other factor ,I might suggest is the increase in ANPR activity getting unlicensed /untested cars and possibly their unlicenced test pilots off the road.
Another is the trend to the increased use of SAC ,which prop us the SCP empire ,but reduce the amount of convictions ( based on points awarded).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 22:35 
Site Admin

staylor wrote:
If you look at the fatality trend it flatlined from about 1996-2003 (~3,400) and then resumed downwards at a tremendous rate.

And that is a major problem. To halt what was otherwise a gentle downward trend takes a really serious alteration and speed enforcement was the only major introduction.
The lower numbers would have been reached sooner much earlier had speed enforcement never been introduced!

staylor wrote:
With minor blips total traffic volume has been on an increasing trend ever since the existence of statistics on the subject.
It is widely known that when there is an economic downturn you can look at car sales figures and see clearly that they fall every recession and rise during every boom. So to say that there has been a steady increase is not correct.

From 2005 to 2010 there was a huge drop in K's (3,400 - 1,900) which coincides with the highest nationwide speed enforcement activity. Obviously, it's not all down to this, [/quote] The drop is down to a number of factors : more defensive driving during the recession (the longest for many years), people travel less far, go less often and are so exposed to less danger.
The increase in fuel prices too is also limiting people's ability to travel as many move to be nearer to work too thus making shorter journeys too.
You need to look at the whole picture.

staylor wrote:
I am suggesting that the huge campaign on speed enforcement activity still played a major part in this reduction.
How?
What evidence do you have to support that please?

staylor wrote:
I question the oft-made assertion that people drive round like zombies staring at their speedometer as a direct consequence of speed cameras.
You are muddling two points that I have sometimes referred to : if you are trying to refer to driving in average speed enforcement areas where people become brain tired and bored thus creating a zombie-like driver ... and then the requirement to regularly refer to one's speedometer to ensure that one is travelling legally. As speed limits have been artificially reduced this is not helping people to travel safely, but encourage frequent speed checks to preserve one's license. While time is spent having to more frequently check your speedo you are not paying attention or thinking about the road environment.

Please note that the forums are here so that all topics can be freely discussed in detail and at length. In no way is anything that I state here a 'statement from Safe Speed', for that please ask me by PM or email for an official response.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 23:39 

staylor wrote:
Safety cameras save lives.

ah, why didn't you say so in the first place?! You've won me over with your erudite and well-reasoned arguments...

...oh, hang on a minute!

Yeah, OK, if you say so...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 

For the last three years or so, I've taken to driving around with a sat nav whilst working. Not because I don't know the area but mainly for the fact that it has a bluetooth connection to act as a handsfree for mobile calls and also it has a speed camera warning (not that we have many round our way.....KSIs must be astronomical).

I place it in the corner of the windscreen which means I can see the speed readout on it without having to take my eyes off the road.

However it's got to the stage now that I am so used to reading the speed off it, that on days when I leave it at home, I notice the actual awkwardness of actually having to distract your gaze to look at a normal speedo and how long it takes to register compared with having the speed displayed in normal driving vision.

Anyone who says that looking at a speedo on a regular basis, is not a distraction, should try driving without using it (using a sat nav as I do) for several thousand miles and then going back to looking at a speedo, for comparison.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 13:58 
User

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/623668.cameras_bag_753_more/

Westmorland Gazette wrote:
Figures obtained by The Westmorland Gazette under the Freedom of Information Act have revealed a sharp increase in the number of speeding tickets issued.

Yet despite a falling number of injuries on the roads, deaths in road traffic accidents have risen.

Many of these additional deaths cannot be attributed to speed - but by the same token, many of the accidents the speed camera exponents say they have reduced, ALSO were not related to speed, and have reduced due to other factors outlined here.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 16:33 
New User
New User

Can't be arsed. Safety cameras save lives, the campaigns over. Pack up and get a real job.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 16:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

You're not exactly impressing anyone with your standard of argument here :P

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 23:19 
Site Admin

When it's too hard to explain something that ought to be easy to be able to refer to many references (seeing as how so many Councils spend our hard earned funds on these devices) it is sad that it boils down to someone simply 'believing that they must work' than rely on hard facts to justify one's opinion. :(

We always welcome opposing views. :)