Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 14:56 
Site Admin

Mirror wrote:
Roman Pirozek Jr: Lad killed after his remote control helicopter strikes him in head
6 Sep 2013 08:10
The 19-year-old was flying the chopper in a park when he lost control of it and it almost decapitated him

Photos: Roman Pirozek Jr Tragedy: Roman Pirozek Jr with his model helicopter

A teenager was killed when his remote control helicopter struck him in the head, leaving him almost decapitated.
Roman Pirozek Jr, 19, was gravely injured by the model chopper when he lost control of it and its 2ft rotor blades scalped him.

Paramedics arrived and tried to save his life as horrified witnesses looked on.
But Roman was pronounced dead at the scene in Shore Parkway, in Brooklyn, New York, yesterday.

Police said the aircraft fell from the sky and hit him on the way down.

At least four people looked on as he was hit by the model, which was reportedly made by Taiwanese company Align.
Neighbours described him as an avid hobbyist who was frequently seen in the area flying the craft.
Roman, who has posted YouTube videos of his flights, was apparently attempting an elaborate stunt when something went wrong.
Police said he was a ­graduate of the High School for Construction Trades, Engineering and Architecture in Queens, New York.
His toy helicopter was found crumpled on the ground in a field about 20ft from his body, which police later covered with a sheet.

Video uploaded to his YouTube account of model helicopter
Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... z2e7XEWEzC
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Queens man, 19, killed by model helicopter shared passion for remote-controlled fliers with father
Comments (87)
Published: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 5:00 PM
Updated: Friday, September 6, 2013, 5:17 AM

Kenny Marchisella, 62, a neighbor of Pirozek’s in Woodhaven, said he saw the teen heading out about 11 a.m.

“He was putting the helicopter together in the back of his station wagon,” said Marchisella. “He turned around and waved. I waved back. I was gonna say, ‘Have fun flying the helicopter,’ but I was too far away.”
The teen’s heartbroken father showed up at the park, but was taken away by police. Here, detectives investigate the scene of the accident.
Todd Maisel/New York Daily News
The teen’s heartbroken father showed up at the park, but was taken away by police. Here, detectives investigate the scene of the accident.
Family friend Dino Spadaccini said Pirozek shared a passion for flying model helicopters with his father.

“He was like a brother and a son to me,” Spadaccini said. “He flew with me as a teen. It’s just an unfortunate event that someone so young, so full of life, enjoying something is gone.”
Pirozek’s toy helicopter was found crumpled on the ground in a ball field about 20 feet from his body, which cops later covered with a sheet.
Todd Maisel/New York Daily News
Pirozek’s toy helicopter was found crumpled on the ground in a ball field about 20 feet from his body, which cops later covered with a sheet.

On his Facebook page and Twitter account, Pirozek featured numerous photos and videos showing him flying model helicopters.
“Great day for flying, the new frame brace is working great, breaking in some new packs I just got,” Pirozek posted on Facebook on Aug. 25.

Friends took to Facebook Thursday to mourn Pirozek.
“I’m without words right now,” Ben Storick posted. “I can’t believe this happened. Roman Pirozek Jr., you will always be with us.”

ttracy@nydailynews.com
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... z2e7WxhIpw

Very sad less, and very tragic.
Fox News say that it was very gusty but whether this had any bearing on the incident who will ever know.
I love flying mine and still have a long way to go to get this good, but in time ! :)

Profile Send private message