Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 16:16 
Life Member
Life Member

This research was conducted using images of human faces, however there is some mention of how it might apply more widely.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/220170-facial-recognition-study-sheds-new-light-on-threat-response-and-the-spidey-sense

I find some vehicles or pedestrians definitely attract my attention more than others.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 21:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
The late great Paul had an article on " Lizard brain " driving .SS2 , might resurrect this , but it's based on what drivers like me ,with almost 50 years behind the wheel do . The left & right foot "SEES" a problem , long before the eyes do . Brakes on, clutch down, and stop safely ,long before a problem exists. THATS the real world of driving. THAT IS DRIVING IN THE REAL WOrld.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 01:47 
Life Member
Life Member

Yes, I have read Paul's article, this research goes some way to backing it up I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 20:39 
Site Admin

Part of the article refers to the 'learned automated response' for those who were 'more anxious' and who responded more quickly. e.g. tug someone who's holding a rope enough and they will pre-tension ready for the expected input.
Certainly how someone looks will make us look for further information or move on to other general data.
I look more especially when people are near zebra crossings especially. I'm sure my feet are reacting too... ! :)
However they do imply the 'learned' behaviour that automatically acts....
Lizard Brain is great fun and very real. :) I'm sure this was shown in other research papers too... ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 00:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I've been driving for almost 50 years, and Lizard Brain is one of my defences to the argument that us neo 70 drivers are short on responses. Possibly what he anti geriatric lot should be looking at is which group has developed brain developed skills and those who have not, irrespective of age.