The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 07:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 13:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gatsobait wrote:
Could just be the way I read johnsher's post, but I thought the implication was that no-one else would be about.

well it was more that ed had asked for safe cycling tips. So in regards to that, doing 40mph is "not necessarily safe". Obviously you don't do it if there's pedestrians or heavy traffic.
As for motorists taking evasive action: they should be allowing me enough room regardless of how fast I'm travelling. What if I hit a pothole and my wheel collapses? What if there's a sudden heavy crosswind? When following a bike you should ALWAYS presume that they're about to fall off and drive accordingly, which essentially no different to how you treat a car - you should always presume that the car in front of you could come to an abrupt halt.

Quote:
Its this sort of talk that doesn't talk me out of hating cyclists, it increases the hatred, well done!

cyclists don't want your love, they just want respect.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 13:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

johnsher wrote:
When following a bike you should ALWAYS presume that they're about to fall off and drive accordingly, which essentially no different to how you treat a car - you should always presume that the car in front of you could come to an abrupt halt.

I don't know I'd go so far as to say 'presume' but certainly I allow for the possibility. It comes down to observation and anticipation again, doesn't it? If a cyclist looks a bit wobbly or is riding along a gutter full of potholes I'd assume I'd have to give him that much more room in case he falls off suddenly. But a cyclist who seems to be nice and steady and is on a good well made road... well, I'd plan to pass with enough room on the left that it doesn't give 'em grief or cause them to wobble (so speed dependant too, 6-8) but I'd also want to know where I'm going to go if it unexpectedly goes tits up. I really think that overtaking a cyclist should be treated in much the same way as overtaking anything. Particularly if it's one of the serious lycra lovers with all the gear and leg muscles like beavers in a sack :) I reckon some of 'em can go faster than mopeds so might as well treat 'em the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 13:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gatsobait wrote:
But a cyclist who seems to be nice and steady and is on a good well made road

I was following another cyclist on a weekend club ride when he suddenly went down in a heap. No warning, nothing. The screw that clamps the stem to the handlebars had snapped.
Was following another when I caught a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes. She hadn't seen the deer which tried to jump her but instead bounced off her shoulder. Somehow she managed to fling herself away from the car heading towards her but her bike copped it - the driver also hadn't seen the deer.

Gatsobait wrote:
I reckon some of 'em can go faster than mopeds so
might as well treat 'em the same way.

funny you should mention that, I overtook a moped just yesterday. I'm also faster than a speeding milk float or a jcb.

Looking particularly happy riding up a mountain during L'Etape du Tour:

Last edited by johnsher on Fri Sep 02, 2005 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 13:49 
User

Tour de France riders have averaged 40 km/h over the whole tour which is 25 mph, but this include all the climb sections. In team trials an average 57.3 km/h or 35 mph is achieved including all the slowing down for hills and corners, and on downhill sections in the mountains the peak speed can be as high as 80 km/h or 50 mph.

Serious racing cyclists have little problem breaking many speed limits.