Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 13:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 22:48 
User

Just been fiddling with Norwich Union's online quote thingy. Was interested to see the effect of various (hypothetical) driving qualifications on my premium.

Regular driving licence only: £1177.98
Pass plus: £623.98
Advanced Motorist pass: £1120.01
Regular driving licence but held for 1 year: £891.99
Held for 1 year + pass plus: £476.98
Held for 1 year + advanced pass: £848.99

Which was a bit surprising. I thought the standard of the IAM is far higher than that required for Pass Plus? And having 1 year's experience is regarded as making you much safer on the road than an IAM pass. Have I got the wrong end of the stick about its quality?

I hope Norwich Union can forgive me for hammering their quote server in the interests of research ;).

It also starts to seem that it might be worthwhile doing the Pass Plus. I doubt I'll need to insure my car in my own name for a while yet, but it seems that the benefits are still there even with a few years' experience.

Edit: Just to say, this was based on an L-reg 1.2 (45bhp!) Vauxhall Corsa 3dr hatchback, TPFT for one driver with no NCD.

Edit 2: Did the same exercise for Dad's H-reg 2.0 Vauxhall Carlton estate, again for TPFT with one driver with no NCD:-

Regular driving licence only: £1597.98
Pass plus: £839.99
Advanced Motorist pass: £1519.98

Same trend.

Is this perhaps because the Advanced test is geared up for more experienced drivers, as newer drivers will not be up to the requisite standard? (And more experienced drivers will have fairly low premiums anyway)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 18:08 
Suspended
Suspended

Licence: Standard Car + Bike + LGV 1

My weekender:

3.0 ltr Turbo Dax Rush (seven Inspired Kit)

£260.00 fully comp with 16 yrs NCB

Main cars

Cadilac STS 4.6 ltr

£1080.00 Fully comp

BMW Z3 3.0 ltr

£580.00 Fully Comp

The Rush is the most powerfull, and has the most expensive part replacement, but the cheapest to insure, go figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 20:24 
User

The 16 years no claims might make some difference there.. :P

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 01:52 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

mike[F] wrote:
Just been fiddling with Norwich Union's online quote thingy. Was interested to see the effect of various (hypothetical) driving qualifications on my premium.

Regular driving licence only: £1177.98
Pass plus: £623.98
Advanced Motorist pass: £1120.01
Regular driving licence but held for 1 year: £891.99
Held for 1 year + pass plus: £476.98
Held for 1 year + advanced pass: £848.99

Which was a bit surprising. I thought the standard of the IAM is far higher than that required for Pass Plus? And having 1 year's experience is regarded as making you much safer on the road than an IAM pass. Have I got the wrong end of the stick about its quality?

This is probably the way the online system works, in that it regards PassPlus as a major step forward, but anything else as relatively minor.

From what I've heard, I believe PassPlus is well worth doing, although from your posts here you seem to have acquired a fair amount of driving experience and common sense, which will obviously reduce the benefit :wink:

I have never succeeded in obtaining any insurance discount from having an IAM pass. A lot of risk is distance-based and perhaps they take the view that an IAM member will tend to drive further and more keenly than someone who isn't.

Regards,

Peter

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 02:36 
Site Admin

I think four problems facing the IAM have worked together to prevent the insurance industry from identifying the benefit of IAM advanced training:

1) Local groups are too variable. The standard for an IAM pass varies too much, so there's no consistent baseline.

2) The IAM test level is too low, and in part does not have the right emphasis. Many IAM members are not really advanced at all.

3) There's no tick box on insurance proposal forms for IAM qualification. (there might be exceptions) But if the insurance company databases don't have an IAM field then they won't be able to easily recognise any reduction in accidents.

4) Many IAM members may not bother to tell their insurance company that they have an IAM pass, and so IAM benefits accidentally accrue to the wider driving population - when a risk comparison is tried, there are IAM folk in both groups.

These factors require a Government defined advanced driving qualification. I do not believe that it is possible for the IAM to escape from these serious limitations in the foreseeable future.

Sorry IAM. Too little, too late. You've blown it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 13:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mrs Gatsobait used to get an insurance discount from her IAM membership, but we sussed that something wasn't quite right when my insurance became cheaper than hers for a faster car. Turned out that only a handful of insurance companies gave the discount, and they were all pricey to start with. A bit of shopping around found her a cheaper quote with a company that didn't care if she was in IAM or not. She says she's a better driver for having done it, but it hasn't saved her any money.
Compare that with PassPlus, which I believe is about half a dozen extra lessons and is worth a year's no claims bonus. If I was a new driver today my motivation for doing PassPlus would be pretty high, but motivation for doing IAM test would be practically zero. Perhaps the insurance industry just isn't convinced it makes a big difference. If so, then maybe the IAM should survey all the members and find out how often they make claims compared to the rest of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 21:25 

I've had my licence four years and am 31 next month, did pass plus as it seemed to be a good idea, six sessions including night driving, motorway and weather (that session) it was slightly drizzling ! Wsan't taught much - the instructor just let me drive and made the odd comment. Not very helpfull and seemed like a money spinner. Saw the gumf about possible insurance discounts but only apply 'officially' if it is a company involved in the scheme and you are 23, oops, being 27 at the time got bugger all of PP. Was told that my maturity balanced off against my lack of experience - WHAT !!!!

Have done IAM - paradoxically, in Essex, the land of worship at the alter of speed cameras, the IAM group has a very high percentage of serving and ex traffic cops. I certainly could and will be looking to do more to improve my driving (perhaps the RoSPA scheme - anyone done it ? Would like to know your thoughts on it) but just what I've done with IAM has been of great benefit to me.

Not sure what post, but someone said that the commentary was now optional with IAM. Both my observer and instructor INSISTED that I give a commentary. It really focussed my mind !!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk