Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 16:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeed wrote:
Noob Saibot wrote:
But as I go home alone in my 5 seater car, surrounded by countless others doing the same, I can't help feeling that we could and should do much better. There's so much wastage in the system. Perhaps we should be thinking bigger, e.g car pooling from motorway junctions and the like?

Perhaps it's a price worth paying for the flexibility and the privacy that it provides?

Hats off to the council near to J6 of the M40. Years ago cars could be seen parked under the bridge on the grass verge - not sure if it was a sort of park and ride scheme or a car share scheme.Nowadays, there's a carpark, with a park and ride scheme.Looks like the destination is Reading ??

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 17:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
I actually think you are wrong about "flexible working" being about location. I think most people see it as varying their hours to fit in with their social requirements.

My bold above. Not what the DTI think (as per the link) but what most people think.

Perhaps my "emergency" case above was overstated as my experience has been worse than most due to personal circumstances. However, mothers with young children might see it similarly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 19:54 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Noob Saibot wrote:
But as I go home alone in my 5 seater car, surrounded by countless others doing the same, I can't help feeling that we could and should do much better. There's so much wastage in the system. Perhaps we should be thinking bigger, e.g car pooling from motorway junctions and the like?

Perhaps it's a price worth paying for the flexibility and the privacy that it provides?

Price worth paying... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 19:57 
User

handy wrote:
I think B Cyclist said it further up this thread, or I may be paraphrasing, rather than looking for excuses, why not look for opportunities? I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's not impossible to reduce a few miles travelled. Even without any 'green' kind of reasoning, you can save wear & tear, money on fuel, hours sitting alone with no-one to talk to, even do longer journeys in one day because (insurance allowing) you could even share the driving.

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant!

Anyone who tells you they can do nothing just hasn't looked hard enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 20:01 
Site Admin

B cyclist wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
Noob Saibot wrote:

Price worth paying... :?

Sorry my point wasn't clear. I see wastage as a 'price' of privacy, comfort and flexibility. I don't know if it's a 'price worth paying' hence the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 14:19 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Perhaps my "emergency" case above was overstated as my experience has been worse than most due to personal circumstances. However, mothers with young children might see it similarly.

My emergency case was also quite severe, but I can't see why it is a reason to not try to reduce number of journeys travelled?

Following your logic, I should never be away from my local office in case of an emergency.

So lets take the scenario of life threatening accident to one of my children. If I am 200 miles away in Woking, I will want to get home as quickly as possible. I am car sharing with a colleague who lives 7 miles from my home.

Scenario A - we are car sharing in my car, I contact my colleague (who may be in another meeting) and tell him that I am leaving now, either he comes with me or gets the train later.

Scenario B - we are car sharing in colleagues car. I contact my colleague, explain the situation. Either he can leave now, or he can't. If he can't, I can get a train.

(Note: the train is faster than driving, last night 3.5 hours door to door compared to an average 4.5 hours driving, this includes transfer across London in rush hour and waiting for a local train from Waterloo).

OK, so by getting the train I am incurring a cost, but this is an emergency, right. Even if I do incur a high cost, I can probably claim most of it back from my company on expenses.

So perhaps there is no train station nearby. So I get a taxi to the nearest train station, or even get a taxi directly home. See note above about cost, most taxi firms will offer pre-arranged cost for long journeys rather than being 'on the meter'.

So there are options. How often do these emergencies occur?

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 16:47 
User

I understand some employers running car sharing schemes have a 'Guaranteed Get You Home' policy, where they'll pay for a taxi in the event of an emergency.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7