Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:40 
Site Admin

Speed cameras to make a digital return to West Midlands
6 Feb 2014 07:01

New devices will be cheaper and more efficient than former cameras which used film.

Speed cameras which used film were switched off in the West Midlands in 2013
Police have revealed plans to bring speed cameras back to the West Midlands – 12 months after every single one was switched off.
A new trial of fixed digital cameras is set to launch in October across selected sites in Birmingham and Solihull.
Yet last March 305 speed and traffic cameras were switched off across the region.
Since then speed enforcement operations have been carried out by four mobile police camera units, fixed motorway cameras and individual traffic officers.

Now it has been revealed the cheaper digital cameras will be introduced to see if some of the fixed sites can be reintroduced.

Assistant Chief Constable Gary Cann outlined the plans to the West Midlands Police Crime Board.

He said: “Exploratory work is underway to assess the viability of deploying new digital fixed speed cameras in Birmingham and Solihull.
“A tender document is being prepared by the local authorities for the supply and installation of equipment.
“The potential running costs for West Midlands Police are still to be confirmed but it is unlikely that they will be fully covered by the income generated from the resulting speed awareness courses and this will be a consideration when assessing the potential viability of the project.
"Since the fixed cameras were switched off there has been more reliance on mobile vans.
"We estimated that we would see 65,000 activations and we are pretty much in line to meet those figures.’’

The funds from speeding fines are passed on to the Treasury with West Midlands Police only eligible for a share of funds generated from driver awareness courses
Police and Crime Commissioner Bob Jones told the Board: “The pilot will see the use of new digital cameras, which are more efficient to operate.
"They will offer remote access to the information, which will mean the officer costs will be minimal when compared to the other cameras, which had film.’’
But he added: “We will not be committed to this if the pilot does not provide the results we want to see in terms of improving safety and reducing casualties.”
It will be interesting how they will explain away the increase in the KSI as we come out of recession and have these cameras in action !
However it is most disappointing that they have not retracted the cameras due to understanding all the facts and figures properly!
I am on air around 10 am on BBC WMR on the Ian Lee show....

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 21:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
From the article
Quote:
We will not be committed to this if the pilot does not provide the results we want to see in terms of improving safety and reducing casualties.

Sounds remarkably similar to the statement made by the EU on referendums in some countries on the introduction of the Euro . There it was "they will vote toll we get the correct decision".
We know they need the SAC/Driver improvement courses - it's one way to thin out the police force ,save policing costs, and generate some extra cash .OH-as well as providing retirement jobs for those made redundant on age/length of service grounds.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 00:44 
Site Admin

From going on air earlier today with BBC Coventry and Warwickshire this is now going ahead. Appalling. Spend the money on well trained traffic police and sound science and engineering. :) "Do your job properly !"

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 13:54 
User

The two pairs I pass daily on the a45 between cov & nec are still a liability just by being there :?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 22:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

But ,somehow ,Warks have found the cash to convert local cameras to digital. Even one of the most profitable in 2010 camera chart has now been converted from Truvello film to Serco digital. However with spring comes a lot of tree growth, so I expect to see the "Camera under tree growth " syndrome ( I call them hedgehogs) springing up. I suspect it comes from lectures from that renowned submariner ,Cap't Pugwash of Cumbrian notoriety, who was wont not to be seen LURKING with intent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 01:51 
Site Admin

Yep ed_m the camera presence is almost just as bad, couldn't agree more, as it still demands the attention and thinking process from the traveler and thus a major distraction.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 08:08 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Yep ed_m the camera presence is almost just as bad, couldn't agree more, as it still demands the attention and thinking process from the traveler and thus a major distraction.

Just wondering if i can tell which ones have been done.... maybe they'll clean the algae off the yellow backing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 14:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After all the problems with the virus, I've recently had a chance to visit my two great great grandaughters in Coventry, where I notice that Coventry have resorted to ANPR on certain roads. Personally I'm not surprises, as one of the ring roads has become more of a race track ,with yofs in high powered BMW /MB treating other users to tailgaiting etc. Police response is not great. I've had a conversation with our SNT group over their policy on tailgaiting in 20 limits, which basically turned to advice to "get a rear facing dashcam " and send reports to Operation Snap. So do we need Trafpol, or is being left to those of us with dashcams to send in reports?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 21:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Claire- I fear ( if the situation in Coventry is repeated over the country) that you may have to return to campaigning about the rise in average speed devices.
On the other hand, I decided that the tailgaiting reply was worth a punt and asked our local MP about the local police response . In short, I like some other drivers cam see the need for 20 limits due to hazard density and try to comply. Its not fun when someone following is intent on bullying you to drive faster. Apparently the CC was asked to oblige. Sadly on the tailgaiting front, little seems to have changed, but the random 20 speed checks have ceased.
Perhaps its time to ask our MP how many of the extra officers will be used in making the rogue elelmet comply with motoring law