Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hjeg2 wrote:
Firstly, why do you keep putting the link in? It makes it very hard to read when replying.

Why does it make it hard? Just let your eyes read over it. There are people who are trying to keep up with this and the terms used, while familiar to you, can throw the rest of us so it's very useful IMHO.

I'm actually quite surprised/shocked that you seem to believe/accept everything that the government tells you as gospel. When they say jump you seem ready to say "how high sir?".

Why do you see them as so benevolent? Evidence abounds of their incompetence, bias, hidden agenda, corruption, lack of integrity...

Say chee£e £££ :gatso1:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I have given my thoughts on peer-review here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 0&start=20

but to summarise: peer review, in all but "hard science" does NOT prove a paper is "right", it indicates it has been well research, has credibility, and that someone (normally two reviewers) thinks it worthy of publication by the journal in question.

All academics are aware that work can be rejected by one journal and accepted by another. The most extreme case from my own experience was when, some 8 years ago) I got a letter from an editor saying: "we have a problem". A paper I had submitted had the following two reviews (in short):

Reviewer A: (The first part of paper is great, the second part is rubbish)
Reviewer B: (The first part is rubbish, the second part is great)

The work was published in another journal of equal standing...

On the subject of Statistics - whilst not a Statistician - my first degree is in Computational Science and Mathematics (from a "Russell Group" uni) and I took the same first year course in Statistics as those who did a degree in Mathematics and Statistics. (So not an expert but I know more than most people about it).

To me, the thing to understand is the real value in statistics is "proving that something you thought was reasonable probably ISN'T". Whilst statistics can indicate that something you thought was reasonable probably IS, it doesn't PROVE it so in a mathematics/science sense.

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 
User

hjeg2 wrote:
Let's put it another way: if the data is so good then why not get it peer-reviewed? Is it not worth doing so in order to shut George Monbiot up?

Are you blind or just stupid?! How many times does it need to be said? Peer review is not conducted on data - it is conducted on the methodology used to obtain the data. The use of the term was a smokescreen by Mr Moonboot in order for him to sound clever and derail the opposition argument.

Quote:
why do you keep putting the link in? It makes it very hard to read when replying.

:lol:

Not as clever as you think you are! Something is wrong with the way your browser is set up, meaning that you are not seeing the hyperlinks but are instead reading the HTML.

If that doesn't mean anything to you then do us a favour - stop trolling here and figure it out. When you have, by all means join in again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 15:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Oh jeez, 15 splits….still, those that know me know I’m game!

hjeg2 wrote:
Firstly, why do you keep putting the link in? It makes it very hard to read when replying.

I didn’t. The administrators were experimenting with a keyword hotlink system, it has since been disabled. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
I merely asked you to explain your stated belief [that "they are much better than nothing"] - is that not reasonable?

Of course it's reasonable, and I did.

You've done it again! Goodness, what is that all about? I shall quote the text of my explanation at another point as I'm in the middle of this reply.

So where is it?

I presume you agree that I did not “clearly wanted to talk about stats”.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
How does peer-review exist as an issue and why?

Let's put it another way: if the data is so good then why not get it peer-reviewed? Is it not worth doing so in order to shut George Monbiot up?

You didn’t put it a first way!
Ah, Tu quoque, the refuge for those who have no answers for questions put to them.
To answer yours (so now I have the high ground): the work involved in scientific publication is largely the framework one - establishing enough in each paper and dismissing those items of research that just don't belong. It's do-able, but significantly time consuming. Doing so will significantly divert efforts away from the campaign and momentum will be lost. In our view it is not yet worth it.
I’ll come to Monbiot later on.

hjeg2 wrote:
Please clarify.

We have "some police", but fewer on the roads than before, needlessly so because of the huge amount of paperwork they now have to do. The increased of cameras fooled people into thinking their loss was compensated; however, the continued loss of the nationwide fatality trend proves the folly of it.
Hence we can have more police on the roads without being "at the detriment of other crimes".

hjeg2 wrote:
I guess because I trust the government more. And because I am on the Safe Speed site. But yes, perhaps the government should have it's data peer-reviewed. And again, I don't accept that RTTM is proven. I have now found my source for it being wrong - I have no doubt though that you will dismiss it out of hand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 72,00.html

The point here is that I don't have the time to argue them. Even writing a post like this takes up a lot of my time. I'm sure you know that when you get into something like this it gets very detailed. I have found my source (or 'source' if you prefer) for my disagreement above.

That’s opinion without justification - blind prejudice.
Where were those WMDs? (weapons of mass destruction)

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
Then there’s the stats19 data that shows the portion of vehicles exceeding the speed limits involved in crashes (5%); that strongly supports the RTTM argument.

Again, I refer to my source above.

Your source conveniently didn’t pass comment upon the very damning stats19 reports.

hjeg2 wrote:
Er, well I do know of a study but I haven't looked at it, as explained above.

Well, had you have done you would have seen the truth instead of George Monbiot’s biased, cherry picked, irrelevant version of it. If anyone’s work should be peer-reviewed it should be his. Why? Well he gave the figure which didn’t allow for long-term trends, more bias on selection if you will (the national figure was falling due to many other measures, just as it was for decades before speed cameras were introduced) which of course also add to the illusion of perceived speed camera effectiveness.

The report he referred to had this to say about it:
The national safety camera programme, Four-year evaluation report wrote:
Since the site selection guidelines for cameras include threshold levels of both
all personal injury collisions (PICs) and fatal and serious collisions (FSCs),
it is likely that some of the observed reductions in collisions will be attributable
to regression-to-mean (RTM) effects rather than the effects of the cameras.
Whenever site selection is based on particularly high numbers of observed
collisions in a particular period of time, the sites identified will tend to be
those with more collisions than expected during the period of observation.
Such locations will then tend to have fewer collisions in a subsequent time
period (with or without a camera) simply because the collision count in the
first time period was abnormally high. This is the RTM effect. If RTM effects
are not allowed for there is a danger that the effectiveness of cameras will
be over-estimated.

Table H7 summarises the estimated percentage changes in FSCs attributable
to the effects of the cameras, RTM and trend relative to the observed FSCs
prior to camera installation. The overall average observed reduction in FSCs
is 55%. After allowing for trend and RTM effects, the overall average reduction
in FSCs attributable to these cameras is 10% of those observed in the
baseline period. RTM effects account for a fall of 35% with trend accounting for a further fall of 9%.

Well I never, RTTM is proven, accepted and extremely significant, and that’s excluding other effects of bias on selection – as described again immediately below:

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
When a speed camera is erected alongside another new road safety measure, like a pedestrian barrier/crossing, central reservation, junction re-layout, etc, or even just a danger awareness campaign, what do you think gets credited for any subsequent reduction in accident rate? Both, or just the "camera site"? Think about that – that’s sneaky huh?
No figures exist for the effectiveness of the described other measures, that in itself should be ringing alarm bells – yes?

Yes, so in the case of the A3 are you trying to claim that it was the 50 limit that resulted (I believe) in the reduction of accidents above and beyond RTTM, rather than the speed cameras?

No, you are clearly trying to put words into my mouth. I am explaining to you bias on selection. The A3 example is likely to be mostly RTTM (as explained). The limit drop may not have been significant at all; furthermore it isn’t the only example of bias on selection.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:
Granted, the 50 limit will play a part.

"Will"? To what level? Can you substantiate that claim? (PS, even if true that’s another example of 'bias on selection').

Sorry, I thought that was something that you would have agreed with. Well if not then where's the 'bias on selection'?

No, I said it could play a part: "even if true". Are you trying to misrepresent me?
I said that in response to you saying that it "will" play a part. I asked you to justify the "will" in your statement. I presume anything of relevance still won’t be forthcoming.

Do you now understand bias on selection and that it is separate from RTTM and additional to the illusion of perceived effectiveness of cameras?

Are you not concerned that figures exist for the effectiveness of speed cameras but no such figures exist for other safety measures, even though they exist at cameras sites?

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
:???: Isn’t that a defining characteristic of the illusion of RTTM? If not then what’s the difference?

And again! No the point was that you're getting less accidents than simply immediately before.

Isn’t that exactly what you get with RTTM? If so then explain the difference. If not then you obviously don’t understand RTTM; read the quote of the report above (or look at my sig below for a summary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 17:44 

smeggy wrote:
Are you not concerned that figures exist for the effectiveness of speed cameras but no such figures exist for other safety measures, even though they exist at cameras sites?

You'd think that anyone who genuinely wanted safer roads, wasn't a troll and didn't have a hidden agenda would be, wouldn't you? Equally you'd think that anyone who supported cameras for less than noble reasons wouldn't care, and would continue to say they supported cameras without making any effort to find out those figures. I wonder which one it is here? The suspense is killing me!

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 20:59 
Final Warning
Final Warning

I shall come back to all the other points later.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
:???: Isn’t that a defining characteristic of the illusion of RTTM? If not then what’s the difference?

And again! No the point was that you're getting less accidents than simply immediately before.

Isn’t that exactly what you get with RTTM? If so then explain the difference. If not then you obviously don’t understand RTTM; read the quote of the report above (or look at my sig below for a summary)[/quote]

No, less than the mean. Understand now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:03 
Final Warning
Final Warning

bombus wrote:
smeggy wrote:

You'd think that anyone who genuinely wanted safer roads, wasn't a troll and didn't have a hidden agenda would be, wouldn't you?

Now that it's been brought up, yes, although are you sure that there aren't figures for other things?

bombus wrote:
Equally you'd think that anyone who supported cameras for less than noble reasons wouldn't care, and would continue to say they supported cameras without making any effort to find out those figures. I wonder which one it is here? The suspense is killing me!

You've clearly already made up your mind and therefore any further discussion is a total waste of time.

EDIT: To add a point, in what way do you think that I am a troll?

Last edited by hjeg2 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:10 
Final Warning
Final Warning

Big Tone wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:

Why does it make it hard? Just let your eyes read over it.

Because that isn't how English is normally written. And to make things clear for you, I am talking about how it appears when editing, not how it appears when posted.

Big Tone wrote:
There are people who are trying to keep up with this and the terms used, while familiar to you, can throw the rest of us so it's very useful IMHO.

I'm actually quite surprised/shocked that you seem to believe/accept everything that the government tells you as gospel. When they say jump you seem ready to say "how high sir?".

Oh really? Where do I say that I am ready to believe/accept everything that the government tells me as gospel?

Big Tone wrote:
Why do you see them as so benevolent?

Who says that I do?

Big Tone wrote:
Evidence abounds of their incompetence, bias, hidden agenda, corruption, lack of integrity...

I know...

But evidence also abounds of arrogance, aggressiveness, and importantly, lies, of people on here.

Big Tone wrote:
Say chee£e £££ :gatso1:

I don't need to, I keep to the speed limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:21 
User

prof beard wrote:
I have given my thoughts on peer-review here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 0&start=20

but to summarise: peer review, in all but "hard science" does NOT prove a paper is "right", it indicates it has been well research, has credibility, and that someone (normally two reviewers) thinks it worthy of publication by the journal in question.

All academics are aware that work can be rejected by one journal and accepted by another. The most extreme case from my own experience was when, some 8 years ago) I got a letter from an editor saying: "we have a problem". A paper I had submitted had the following two reviews (in short):

Reviewer A: (The first part of paper is great, the second part is rubbish)
Reviewer B: (The first part is rubbish, the second part is great)

The work was published in another journal of equal standing...

:hehe: No two experts agree. No two medics of equal status necessarily agree - which is why sometimes the patient will ask for a "second opinion" :wink:

But peer reviews are usually submitted by academics to a journal, which as you rightly say, deems it worthy of publication.

It is not an end in itself and open to modification or complete rejection pending further research. Some peer reviewed "findings" have also been discredited. MMR "research" comes to mind - but because of media hype - the public at large are harder to convince than the peers reviwing the latest research into this vaccine. :roll:

Any person who thinks that "peer reviews" prove some opinion is correct without need for further research or think that one academic's opinion proves anything irrefutably is neither an "academic intellect", "expert" or has any concept of what is meant by a review of a piece of work by one's peers. :roll:

Quote:

On the subject of Statistics - whilst not a Statistician - my first degree is in Computational Science and Mathematics (from a "Russell Group" uni) and I took the same first year course in Statistics as those who did a degree in Mathematics and Statistics. (So not an expert but I know more than most people about it).

To me, the thing to understand is the real value in statistics is "proving that something you thought was reasonable probably ISN'T". Whilst statistics can indicate that something you thought was reasonable probably IS, it doesn't PROVE it so in a mathematics/science sense.

:yesyes: When communicating the results (after asking the question.. collecting the data.. deriving the results .. taking into account all flawed sampling, ambiguities etc.. the words "APPEARS and LIKELY" are used statistically more frequently than other words :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:43 
Final Warning
Final Warning

smeggy wrote:
Oh jeez, 15 splits….still, those that know me know I’m game!

Smeggy, why have you mixed up my post? That suggests to me that you have an ulterior motive like for example you are trying to avoid replying to some point. Would it help if I started numbering my points (or 'points' or you prefer)?

smeggy wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:

I didn’t. The administrators were experimenting with a keyword hotlink system, it has since been disabled. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
I merely asked you to explain your stated belief [that "they are much better than nothing"] - is that not reasonable?

Of course it's reasonable, and I did.

You've done it again! Goodness, what is that all about? I shall quote the text of my explanation at another point as I'm in the middle of this reply.

So where is it?

Well I haven't done it yet have I because I spent ages writing that post! And now I'm writing this post! Not all of us have as much time as you do.

smeggy wrote:
I presume you agree that I did not “clearly wanted to talk about stats”.

Er, I have no idea. I shall try and come back to that. (But not in this post, yes?!)

smeggy wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
How does peer-review exist as an issue and why?

You didn’t put it a first way!
Ah, Tu quoque, the refuge for those who have no answers for questions put to them.

Saying "Tu quoque", the refuge for those who can't or at least don't want to answer similar questions put back to them.

I shall come back to the following paragraph later tonight.

smeggy wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:
The point here is that I don't have the time to argue them. Even writing a post like this takes up a lot of my time. I'm sure you know that when you get into something like this it gets very detailed. I have found my source (or 'source' if you prefer) for my disagreement above.

That’s opinion without justification - blind prejudice.
Where were those WMDs? (weapons of mass destruction)

What on earth has the lack of WMDs got to do with the amount of spare time I have to argue road statistics with???

I simply don't have the time which you clearly do to get extremely obsessive about this issue. If you want to see that as an excuse then so be it, but you're not going to persuade anyone (imo) that you're right taking an attitude like that. I came out with my 'opinion', and then backed it up with justification, my source.

I shall come back to the rest of your post later tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:53 
User

hjeg2 wrote:
I shall come back to all the other points later.

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:

Isn’t that exactly what you get with RTTM? If so then explain the difference. If not then you obviously don’t understand RTTM; read the quote of the report above (or look at my sig below for a summary)

No, less than the mean. Understand now?[/quote]

One cam on A40 was put there because 4 boys died in one accident. All criteria for the guidelines were met.

But.. no accident occurred at this site prior to this nor since. The camera was held "effective".. only it wasn't and still isn't as the incidents occur some three miles further up at a dodgy junction per Kev Delaney who said this on a R4 programme a few months ago. We still have the recording. We are "anoraks" that way. :lol:

This cam is not the only one like it. Zero incidents occur at these sites because the road regressed back to the mean of zero if you like in these extreme cases.

There are others.. cam on A575 per my sister Jazz. A Truvelo set up in 2004. The only accident some 500 yards from this site was that of a man who died when he lost control of his car and mounted the kerb.. slightly injuring a mother and child on the pavement. He had a heart attack at the wheel. The cam is on a slight downhill in each direction. It nabs the unwary who pick up a sliver of "blip" :roll: per both Jazz and Ju-Ju who live in this rather nice area of the big 'burb.

The other A575 incident happened three quarter mile further on - some 8 years ago - where this road becomes a dual carriageway with the left lane going left or straight on and the outer lane becoming "right only" at the lights. There was a bus stop. Woman killed as she raced for the bus.

Last year at this same dual carriageway site which now has a pelican after the woman's death of some 8 years ago there - my sisters were shopping and had parked up in the car park opposite this site. Man (pensioner) crossed the road beyond the pelican crossing and an Astra setting off from the lights at the junction with said shopping mall car park - collided with him. No charges brought against the driver .. say my sisters who co-incidentally knew the 65 year old victim and the 30-odd year old driver as this 'burb, though a busy artery from Bolton to Manchester - is actually quite a small one where many know each other on nod acquaintance. Road is under-going some engineering. It seems a mini-hospital is being built there and the local Tesco is planning to expand as well. My sisters say this has led to some congestion because of extra traffic lights and many are complaining that the pelicans on the A6 (Walkden High Street) which took the life of an elderly gent they also knew very well and liked very much and was the first fatal incident here ever but there have been some less serious incidents :roll: .. are too close to the traffic lights at the wide junction with the A575 (which once used to be served by a very large roundabout until 1964 apparently) My sisters are "academically minded" .. "peer reviewed in teacher journals on their teaching subjects and general class management" - and "almost nerdy boffins" :lol: on local history of Worsley and Walkden which are about to become World Heritage towns because of their contribution to the industrial revolution despite the rather "twee gentility of the Worsley village proper at M60 J13".

But the main complaint of the above A6 appears to be that the new pelicans are close to the lights as one heads Westwards and on the side the gentleman died .. there is another junction to the shopping mall, a bus lay-by and some bill boards which seem to distract the drivers per Jazz who often walks the couple of miles to the supermarket and crosses there regularly. :roll:

No cam there though .. despite the one death and a couple of shunts. :popcorn: It's not lucrative. :wink:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:01 
User

By the way.. looking at your sig.. I have to ask

Have ever heard or considered lane discipline or read that bit of the Highway Code where it says to assist the overtake even if the person overtaking you is above the speed limit? :popcorn:

We just let folk pass us when in the UK :popcorn: Their business and I like to drive safely and not inconvenience another - but reserve the right to protect myself and my precious passengers. :wink:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:22 
Final Warning
Final Warning

Mad Moggie wrote:

Have ever heard or considered lane discipline or read that bit of the Highway Code where it says to assist the overtake even if the person overtaking you is above the speed limit? :popcorn:

It's simply about hypocrisy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

hjeg2 wrote:
Smeggy, why have you mixed up my post? That suggests to me that you have an ulterior motive like for example you are trying to avoid replying to some point. Would it help if I started numbering my points (or 'points' or you prefer)?

I didn’t mix it up, I merely made it easier to follow; the 15 slices didn’t help matters.
I know how to manage expectation but I have no intention of doing that here (not worth the risk of being rumbled). If you think I missed anything significant then please do bring it do my attention.

hjeg2 wrote:
Well I haven't done it yet have I because I spent ages writing that post! And now I'm writing this post! Not all of us have as much time as you do.

Time isn’t the issue. Of course I know my arguments very well, I also accept that others may not. I’m also very proficient with my PC so I can muster much of the data I need very quickly. I also realise you’re getting it from all angles. Don’t worry, I have patience.

hjeg2 wrote:
What on earth has the lack of WMDs got to do with the amount of spare time I have to argue road statistics with???

It was in response to your comment about the trust you have in the government.

hjeg2 wrote:
I simply don't have the time which you clearly do to get extremely obsessive about this issue.

Is that a hint of ad hominem?

I responded to what was asked of me. It’s not my problem if I answer your questions properly.

hjeg2 wrote:
If you want to see that as an excuse then so be it, but you're not going to persuade anyone (imo) that you're right taking an attitude like that.
I came out with my 'opinion', and then backed it up with justification, my source.

I will respect any opinion so long as it withstands scrutiny. Your opinion is based on nothing more than the opinion of another – that is no justification.

hjeg2 wrote:
So again, get it peer-reviewed and it will help to shut Mr Monbiot up. If you read the article, you can clearly see that that was his major criticism. Stop making excuses, get it peer-reviewed, and then we can move on. Failing to do so, making excuses about why you shouldn't do so, is just a smokescreen. If you could do so, you would. It's that simple.

Why should Paul expend so much effort to shut one person up? As I already said, preparing for peer-review is not a simple issue.
If his major criticism is the lack of peer-review, then he is two faced (no such calls for government peer-review) and our arguments are stronger than he admits to; perhaps that is why the peer-review issue has become such a sticking point for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:16 
User

hjeg2 wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:

It's simply about hypocrisy.

How?

Wildy :neko: should really reply on this as she had this particular incident to deal with in a safety led for all way/

She was ahead of me that night. We were on our way home from work and we happened to meet up on the M6. There was a convoy of caravans in L1. I was three cars behind my wife in L2.

I saw her draw level with the first caravanner in the convoy.. We were about a mile or so from our junction and I was contemplating moving into L3 and just overtaking the three cars and my wife ahead of me.. only to do so would mean an acceleration to 85 mph to clear all this and return to L1 with a decently safe margin. We are at Shap and I know there will be a van ..so I set in for an "elephant style pass" (not so safe - but "legal" ::wink: - sucking in breath as I know that if I cannot return to L1 .. I face a long detour back home. There was no gap.. these caravanners were really tailgating each other but no cam would have done them for this :hissyfit:

Wildy was legal. She drew level with the leader of the convoy and looked set to solidly complete this overtake at a dead 70 mph with room to spare... only the idiot 'vanners decided to accelerate to an "illegal for them" speed :banghead: My wife made a decision .. her origin had alerted her to hotspot for a van.. but she's one quick type and she noted no van this time.. so .. she hit the oomph pedal and passed .. returning to correct lane and legal speed within a second .. and I followed her as my own in-car gadget also informed me that both me and my licence would be safer to do this.

So .. we are safety led drivers.. we tend to avert incident rather than contribute to it. It;s called COAST by the way. and Franklin also preaches this more or less in Cycle Craft.

By the way ,.. I do not ride my bike very fast in the local parks or national Fell paths. Somehow.. I happen to respect other people.

I cannot say the same for the uninsured cycling idiot who ruined a nice pair of trousers and caused me an SI in that I had to have stitches in my wound after being pushed into gas works by one selfish lycra clad idiot on a pavement .. the sort who undermines serious cycling in the same way as the chav unlicenced or just as chav minded pig ignorant motor mouth :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:
hjeg2 wrote:
smeggy wrote:

No, less than the mean. Understand now?

It is you who does not understand.

At camera sites, the 3 year baseline, the time "immediately before" (your words), has suffered an unusual cluster of accidents, enough to suddenly justify the existence of the camera site. That will have inflated the short-term rate "immediately before" installation, the "mean" if you will, to significantly above the long-term rate. Of course, the accident cluster being random time and location wise, is very unlikely to happen at the same spot again – lighting doesn’t strike in the same place twice.
This is classic RTTM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 23:59 
User

I am wondering if we talking to George here.. :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 00:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Mad Moggie wrote:

I wondered the same. It's certainly not impossible that he could be fishing for chinks in armour. It shouldn't matter anyway; an argument is an argument and the messenger shouldn't matter.

All,

I've not been given reason to conclude that hjeg2 is disingenuous but I don't think some of the responses are helping matters.

Could I ask that the discussion is kept civil. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 01:49 

Mad Moggie wrote:

Could be, but my money's on an ex-Cycling+ regular who's missing the poisonous, dogmatic atmosphere there. It wouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down as even that lot mainly had the right idea about how idiotic deliberate lane-hogging is. Mister Paul (Jub Jub) was one notable exception.... :scratchchin:

The idea that speeding is somehow as bad as lane-hogging is Upminster (way beyond Barking ;)), and I don't really think he actually believes it, it's just one of his ways of provoking us. Admittedly it worked rather well, at least at first.

The style has become a bit less antagonistic and troll-like since the final warning though. Maybe there's hope yet.

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 08:45 
User

All accidents have chance co-oincidence to them. No two accidents are exactly the same as to how they come about either.

A cam ist erected based on series of incidents .. which do not share the same prime/contributary causes .. but neither could speeding above lolly be actually defined as the cause unless the speedo stuck und many witnesses able to confirm the drivers were way too fast - but they tend to say so as they do not resally know und it "alll happen so fast anyway" :roll: .

Two boys hit a tree in bad weather, They were not speeding. But one tyre had a bulge defect .. it believed this blow at LOW speed to cause a fatal. Had two more pals been in this car - then this would qualify for a cam as it did on the one on the A40. But then the crash scene regress to mean of almost zero incident before this incident.

But ....since accidents are ephemeral und one dangerous road became "tamed" as a result of re-engineering - there are number of factors which should be taken into account before whacking up a cam in the absurd belief that this magically saves a life. Other factors.. even one as simple as changing a route to work have to be taken into account as well.

The other issue ist that the the stats of KSI not recorded prior to three/four year history of three/four KSI at the site in question und we have tangible evidence downloaded to a word document somewhere in our archives of one partnership justifying a mobile cam because "400 people KSI at this site over past 4 years" This equated to a major incident each year.. only we happen to be on that road .. all 50 -odd of ys in this family on way to a family do there. We never held up.. never saw any "incident" und given the host of that party also a medic und invited his collegues.. none were called back to red alert.

But it when you look at the recent history of these roads und Dr Mountain also accepted that RTTM was occurring in work she undertook und I gather she updating her research too as she admitted later that the piece only "skimmed the surface" in reality. She find there more to meet the eye here. :wink:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next