The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 14:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 19:46 
User

MEN wrote:
Car menace jailed

22/10/2008

ONE of Britain's worst drivers has been jailed after being convicted of driving while disqualified a staggering 54 times.

Anthony Lee Marland, 39, is beginning a four-month sentence - believed to be his first period behind bars - after a judge told him: "This is one of the worst records of driving I have ever seen."

Road safety campaigners welcomed the decision, saying prison was the only way to stop such 'blatant disregard' of the law.

Cathy Keeler, of road-safety charity Brake, said: "It is ridiculous that it has taken 54 offences to land him in jail.

"When somebody so blatantly disregards laws which are there to protect public safety and insists on putting other road users at risk by driving without a valid licence, jail is the only option."

Marland, of Osborne Terrace, Ashton under Lyne, pleaded guilty to the latest in a long line of motoring offences after being caught by a patrolling police team last month.

He claimed he was driving to visit his partner, who he said was undergoing treatment for cancer at Manchester's Christie Hospital.

One of the officers recognised Marland and confirmed he was a disqualified driver after checking with the national police database.

Nicoletto Amatino, prosecuting at Minshull Street crown court, said: "His records show a considerable history for similar offences, a total of 53 [previous] convictions of driving when disqualified."

Marland pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and driving without insurance. He was banned from driving for a further two years and his licence was endorsed.

Judge Andrew Lowcock told him: "This is one of the worst records of driving I have ever seen. Court orders don't seem to mean anything to you.

"You tell the probation officers that you were driving to see your partner who was in hospital. Whether or not this is true I do not know, but it is no excuse for you to drive a car again.

"In light of your record I think that in this case a custodial sentence is justified. This is due to your continual flouting of court orders."

Mike Leeming, defending, said Marland had been on his way to the Christie Hospital where his partner was 'due to undertake an operation'.

The court heard Marland had been given a suspended sentenced and a community order for previous offences.

Miss Amatino added: "Previous cases against the defendant include two counts of burglary.

"The properties were entered while the occupants were asleep. In one case car keys were stolen from a jacket pocket and a Toyota Yaris was stolen."

Reader comments on the Manchester site reckon he should have got longer...

But note A POLICE OFFICER copped him.

We still need more as I have no doubt I will be reading of offence number 55 in a couple of months. :furious:

I think only a long term would stop this person to be honest.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message