Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 15:47 
User

graball wrote:
Quote:
he opened his response with an overly happy promotion about how road accidents had been reduced on the County's roads during 2008. :roll:

They're spoonfed it every day!!!

Equally sick is the use of KSi as an annual 'target' :loco:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 21:17 
Suspended
Suspended

Or just maybe, the govt policies are actually working?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 21:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

mpaton2008 wrote:

Government policies were working significantly better before the SCPs took effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 21:53 
User

mpaton2008 wrote:

OK, but are actions and policy-changes principally motivated by this annual marker....or is the management-system able to accommodate changes during the year? Also, aren't these annual stats one year old before they're published?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 13:24 
User

mpaton2008 wrote:

No - its just the effect of the economic downturn. A combination of reduced exposure and thechange in the type of exposure eg less visits to pubs and restaurants, less family outings.

It is a complex relationship between the economy and road crashes but is fairly well established in general terms although officials tend to avoid acknowledging it. The sudden decline in crashes in the absence of a "Magic Bullet", ie a sudden wide imposition of a method that works, is a leading indicator of the state of the economy as it usually precedes other indicators of an economic downturn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 09:16 
User

Durham stats 2001... lowest on record. FMD!

Durham stats 2002 - normal comparison with 2000 and 2003-2009.

Still a third below national average.. and falling proportionately.. but we believe firm police enforcement/road engineering and a series of DIS/SAC courses etc are part of our eqaution. :popcorn:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 14:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
Durham stats 2001... lowest on record. FMD!

Durham stats 2002 - normal comparison with 2000 and 2003-2009.

Still a third below national average.. and falling proportionately.. but we believe firm police enforcement/road engineering and a series of DIS/SAC courses etc are part of our eqaution. :popcorn:

What are your stats for, KSI's or RTA's?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:01 
User

adam.L wrote:
What are your stats for, KSI's or RTA's?

Anyone know why both these lots of stats aren't published together?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:56 
Suspended
Suspended

Get this shed of a campaign shut down, and just accept that you won't be able to torch round as fast as you ruddy well please instead of disgusing this want with a thin veil of 'road safety'.

Moderator message:

Due to an blatantly abusive PM (and the recent unconstructive posts), this account has been deactivated until further notice
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 16:29 

Quote:
Get this shed of a campaign shut down, and just accept that you won't be able to torch round as fast as you ruddy well please instead of disgusing this want with a thin veil of 'road safety'.

Nice to see mature, sensible and reasonable debate by the "road safety"? "speed kills" camp.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 16:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I’ve always found such responses to be a little odd when considering this campaign calls for more effective measures (much more so than cameras) to discourage as well as preventing people driving "as fast as [they] ruddy well please" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 16:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To the speed limit freaks.
Why would the speed kills policy suddenly bring a 14% decrease, when it has never caused such a decrease in the last 10+ years?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:05 
Site Admin

If you cherry pick stats it will never have any bearing on the whole picture, and sadly SI accidents are on the rise and frankly K's should be lower.
They have altered the roads that they draw on for traffic numbers... that'll help their stats ! All skewed now ...
I am still digging...
Whilst it IS very good that K's are lower the varying SI increases are not even being addressed. Rescessions are a BIG, WELL KNOW factor in reducing DEATHS on the roads as people drive FAR more defensively so to me this was expected and even predicted in interviews ! Al Gullon - reference (for one).
Driers are selecting many alternative routes now (esp with Sat navs guiding them), and the police still stop many many people that drive badly/illegally.
I guess I must try to do better and put more out, but it is tough, I SO very much wish Paul was still here. I think the message that Safe Speed is for Intelligent Road Safety Policy is quite clear in everything that is written.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:51 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I guess I must try to do better and put more out, but it is tough

Want some help? Only need to ask :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 20:35 
User

Pratnership wrote:
anton wrote:
The proof that drinking is down is in the numbers of pubs closing. If people are drinking at home then they are unlikly to stagger on the road to reach thier bed. It could also be proved by the quantity or revenue recieved by customs and excise in taxes.
Talking to my colleages thier plans for the weekend are scaled down as most seam to be repaying thier credit card. Big weekends seam to start saturday, not friday
Also if you visit a pub or resturant mid week at the moment it is like a ghost town!... are your eyes shut?

But is that decreasing the number of drink drivers?

No. Because they tend to drink at home.. all of the crate of "buy x bottles for a tenner" :banghead:

Quote:
Btw, mine are open, and I see the clubs around here as busy as ever. Weather or not more/less people are drink driving I couldn't guess (or assume, ahem :wink: ) either way.

The people I talk to are just not having meals when they go out - they are still drinking the same. It seems the way a lot of people are cutting down is mainly avoiding meals when they go out.

Either way, it's a bit too much to say DD numbers have gone down based on the fact we are in a recession, though I haven't seen much evidence of that around here (which is a nice thing).

Isn't there some recent DD statistics around somewhere? That would surely settle the guesswork.

Errr - do an FOI on this area. You might find we are still nailing them via "campaigns of the month" in particular. Summer BBQ season does wreak some havoc as the fave tipples are cider and lager apparently ... :popcorn:

But all the same .. our stats are still less than the national average by a third. We had a bad press when our stats showed an increase in 2002 over 2001 (and we were still that constant third lower overall ... but would prefer it to be lower to show some progress on our part .. :roll:). We had a drop in overall traffic volume due to FMD that year. I think traffic volume is reducing overall because of the recession. I also think that the overall speeds on our patch of the A1 (M) are not as high as they once were from observation when on that road and from our own root figures. :wink: But it's stil nothing to crow about. Check out Wildy's foreign stat threads last month. :wink: She linked directly to the EU stat office and it shows some worrying trends as regards UK pedestrians/cyclists and drunk stats by comparison to rest of Europe. Per that thread - we have not improved our motorway casualties - but remain static in 4th place behind Switzerland/Finland and France (who tie for second apparently :popcorn: as regards improvements.) We also lag behind as regards our A roads.

:roll:

Oh and before Greenshed starts off on one... :popcorn: the stats are not compiled on numbers dead or injured.. but by the percentage and statistics showing the level of improvements within the year per thousand km travelled per capita of road user :popcorn: If you look at these showings - UK has not made that great an improvement on aggregate and why we have slipped down the ratings despite having the lowest number of deceased and injured on the roads - but the highest in numeric terms of injured and dead pedestrians and cyclists .. - which also record a seriously high number of children by comparison to Europe .. :popcorn:

I see nothing then to self-congratulate over. :( Not even in Co Durham as we should be doing a hell of a lot better. We just seem to keep steady in-line with the national average. In real terms - we should be approaching 50% below national average given the special importance/training and trust we input to our RPU here. Overall - I'd say we deliver a fair enough return - but like everywhere else - I have to admit there's plenty of room for improvement on our road safety policy. But unless we break through the complacency out there and an acceptance that we need to constantly remind folk of the obvious - as in COA(A)ST - we are on a road to nowhere here. We also require all drivers ) to evaluate their skills honestly - as that's how we all learn. I will bet all evaluate their computer/professional skills in such upwardly progressive fashion :wink: Driving and cycling and even walking for pleasure - should be no different :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 20:43 
User

mpaton2008 wrote:

Moderator message:

Due to an blatantly abusive PM (and the recent unconstructive posts), this account has been deactivated until further notice
Steve

Good call.

The Mad Cats still think this character to be a poster pretending to be something it ain't elsewhere. :popcorn: Or rather Martin's wife? :? :?

Feel sorry for the guy. I am master in my household .. or think I am :yikes: :bunker: Ah.. but Alice dislikes speed cams and drives around safely and legally - but hates me as a passenger all the same :hehe:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 20:55 
User

ree.t wrote:
To the speed limit freaks.
Why would the speed kills policy suddenly bring a 14% decrease, when it has never caused such a decrease in the last 10+ years?

It hasn't. They are not taking account of the impact of our DIS nor the half decent IAM-esque SAC courses which I concede can create resentment and distrust.. but will state the Lancs/Staffs may have initially and still invite the wrong calibre of clients ... but the overall quality of content would appear to over-ride the initial resented distrust as an FOI on the course content is positive but shows a severe negative on the way it was offered in the first place :popcorn: I think mixed feelings as the folk admit the course improved their overall skills and was thus "value for money" but resent the way they were offered the course :popcorn: I thus think if we can persuade folk to continue developping their skills and take such courses by own volition = seeing it as vital personal development perhaps .. with some insurance or other incentive .. then we may win on the education front. :? :? :scratchchin:
:?

There are plenty of other factors in any case. Only a fool would fail to take account of them.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 20:22 

Is there any breakdown behind these figures, y region, county etc?

it would be most interesting to plot the figures against real life interventions and events.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 13:58 
User

http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/162469/221412/221549/227755/rcgb2007.pdf

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing