All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 22:30 
Site Admin

Pocket GPS World here
Pocket GPS World = rob brady wrote:
Authorities Claim Speed Cameras Continue to Aid Road Safety
Article by: rob brady - Date: 3 Jan 2012
pocketgpsworld.com

Recent figures have shown that the number of road accidents and casualties in the UK has been lowered.

The trend has been noticed in a number of areas, with Scotland and Northern Ireland being just two examples.

Scottish data showed that the number of people killed or seriously injured on roads with speed cameras had fallen by 63% (almost two thirds) between the years of 2008 and 2010.

The speed cameras are placed in "priority" places as part of the Scottish Safety Camera Programme, a programme which the Scottish Government currently assigns £4.6 million a year to.

MSP Stewart Maxwell commented on the success of the scheme and its costs, explaining that "if cameras prevent three fatal accidents this will outweigh the total cost of running the whole programme across Scotland - but we cannot put a price on safety on our roads."

Elsewhere in the UK, Northern Ireland found 2011 to be the one of the safest years for their roads, experiencing the second lowest number of deaths ever recorded.

Road deaths in the area peaked at the end of the 1960's and the beginning of the 1970's, but have been seen to be steadily decreasing ever since. Figures for 2011 found that just 59 people died, considerably lower than 2008, when 107 deaths occurred.

The Head of Road Safety for the AA, Andrew Howard, told the News Letter that "speed cameras have played a significant role in [the reductions]" acting as a clear deterrent to motorists and thus reducing the chance of accidents on our roads.

The reduction in deaths has occurred despite roads becoming busier, making this a huge achievement for road safety levels. This cannot be solely attributed to speed cameras though as many other factors, such as safer cars and road layouts also play a part.
I can see that they need a serious talking to ! With now 6% of less traffic on the roads and the economic downturn (recession), that see people travel less far less often and are thereby less exposed to danger the roads. We always see a reduction in the KSI figures when we go through a recession to claim a benefit from cameras is scandalous !
Rttm
effects
speed
speeding
vas
againstcameras

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 04:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I would like to amplify a point that you made, Claire.

Scottish data showed that the number of people killed or seriously injured on roads with speed cameras had fallen by 63% (almost two thirds) between the years of 2008 and 2010.

The speed cameras are placed in "priority" places as part of the Scottish Safety Camera Programme,

Now that's interesting. According to our resident camera people, the effect of RTTM is "dead/dated/addressed" [links: 1, 2, 3]. It clearly isn't!

We can clearly see the "priority" guidelines that result with the RTTM effect, are still being followed. This results with the expected fall of 60% - this reduction is normal for sites selected based on the RTTM illusion.

MSP Stewart Maxwell commented on the success of the scheme and its costs, explaining that "if cameras prevent three fatal accidents this will outweigh the total cost of running the whole programme across Scotland - but we cannot put a price on safety on our roads."

And here's the clincher: a person of authority who strongly implies that the cameras are responsible for the KSI reduction at camera sites.

Someone needs to tell him that of the known fact that, if the cameras weren't installed, there would be about that level of reduction of KSIs at those same sites.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 04:35 
Site Admin

Agree totally ... :) and plan to tell them too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 

It's a bit like me saying that I have had about a 99% reduction in snow in my garden, so far this winter, so the pink plastic elephant standing on my lawn must be doing a fantastic job. I strongly recommend that every garden should have one.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 
User

graball wrote:
It's a bit like me saying that I have had about a 99% reduction in snow in my garden, so far this winter, so the pink plastic elephant standing on my lawn must be doing a fantastic job. I strongly recommend that every garden should have one.

Would it keep away the blizzard of white shredded paper we woke up to today in our street? We thought it had been snowing there was so much of it! :lol:

If so, where can I get one?