The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 22:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Right forum??

Of late,locally, ,camera vans seem to have disappeared, to be replaced with traffic cars, marked/unmarked ,and lots of them .

This is the possible reason ---

Good news on the get rid of dodgy drivers/cars front. But somewhere at the back of my mind is the thought that TAX is the driving force.

After all ,no VED = NO money for HMG
No insurance ( that not nice for other road users) ,and no TAX on the premiums for HMG .
So a loss to HMG, and the treasury have said that it's looking at ways to stop tax evasion .
So much as I applaud the idea, I wonder if it's a tax gathering PR EXERCISE .Look at the text of the paper's PR spiel . Any "illegal " car will be picked up on ANPR,the local council camera folks notified and a response provided by the local station .( Providing that after the planned cuts, the local station have any "spare " PC's to sit around and wait for illegals.Judging from the movement of the traffic cars today ,I'd guess that the illegals have worked out routes to avoid the ANPR cameras ,which frankly is not difficult)
What bothers me is if we get to the same stage as we did with the SCP -we get ANPR cameras linked to video /etc cameras, and someone heading off to a pre booked MOT,with no tax gets a tax demand on the doorstep ,with the same chance of defending himself as someone doing 29mph with a dodgy camera/operator .

Just food for thought . :roll:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 17:28 
User

No other mot now, they all have to be pre-booked.
Computerisation.
It means that a failure cannot be taken to another mot station for retest without repair. The detail of any previous mot is available to the other mot station.
The mot tester cannot test another vehicle within the timeframe allowed.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 22:12 
User

Quote:
The mot tester cannot test another vehicle within the timeframe allowed.

A hillarious waste of time...

When I take my 20/30yr old sheds for MOT it takes the guy about 7 mins to establish that;

1) the bodyshell is reasonably sound
2) the wheels are not about to fall off/the steering works
3) the brakes/lights/horn works

(Erm, thats about it)

We then spend the next 20 mins chewing the fat over how insane the modern world has become before he can give me my ticket and get the next car in...

Ho Humm... :roll: