Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 01:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SPECS on Cat & Fiddle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SPECS cameras are soon to go live on the A537 Cat & Fiddle road in the Peak District :x

Link

According to this report in MCN, they are new-type cameras that read numberplates from the rear, and so can catch bikes.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:41 
User

Only if the bikes have plates on though....and since LOADS of bikes now feature small plates hidden under the rear seat and visible only from immediately behind...

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Oh yes, I'm sure the biking fraternity will cock a very big snook at this initiative :twisted:

And the camera masts will be in some very remote and isolated locations :roll:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 20:06 
User

If you read the post on MCN by Lord Larry it is the most favorable thing to do. I have been doing this for the past 6 years and beleive me it gets into their systems and they don't like it. It ties up so many of their personnel which adds to their costs. I fire bullets into Police,Council, SCP, and Police Authority. I am very well known throughout the whole of the above entities and the mention of my name at the Council sends them bananas. I must have cost them a small fortune in return for £60.OLLIE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 22:12 
User

According to an article in the Macclesfield Times, the whole thing has been a complete fiasco, as bikers are taking a diversion off the A537 and thus avoiding detection.

Apparently it's also possible that the bikers are not taking a diversion at all, but that given the location of the cameras, it's impossible to determine whether they did or not. So any prosecution would be unsafe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 22:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I wonder how many car drivers have been caught - probably vanishingly few.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 20:26 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:

As you probably know, being fairly local, it would be quite difficult to average 50mph over the whole section in a car. Some of those bends to the west of the Cat are very nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 20:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
PeterE wrote:

As you probably know, being fairly local, it would be quite difficult to average 50mph over the whole section in a car. Some of those bends to the west of the Cat are very nasty.

You can easily do 60+ on the straight section to the east of the pub, though, which is covered by a pair of cameras.