It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 13:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Metro News

Quote:
Traffic light change in Portsmouth could see amber meaning go

New plans to switch all traffic lights in Portsmouth to flashing amber during the night have been proposed to the department of transport, and if all goes to plan, the new lighting rules could be introduced in the city within a year.

Motorists won’t have to wait at red traffic lights at quiet times in the future if a new plan gets the go-ahead.

All the lights at a junction could be switched to flashing amber – most likely in the middle of the night.

Drivers would be expected to proceed with caution, rather than waiting for the red light to change.

Highways staff at Portsmouth city council is applying to the department for transport for permission to trial the scheme in a national first.

If all goes to plan, the new lighting rules could be introduced in the city within a year.

‘It can be extremely frustrating if you are on the road at 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning and forced to stop at a red light when no other cars are around,’ said Barry Rawlings, senior traffic systems engineer at Portsmouth city council.

A similar system already operates in Spain and France but motoring organisation the AA cast doubt on whether it would work safely in Britain.

‘It sounds like a great idea but I have concerns,’ said Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA.

‘The idea that drunks and young drivers are going to get to the flashing lights after midnight and say “after you” is nonsense,’ he added.

Sounds like a good idea to me - and typical of Andrew Howard to play Eeyore :(

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 14:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
A similar system already operates in Spain and France but motoring organisation the AA cast doubt on whether it would work safely in Britain.

‘It sounds like a great idea but I have concerns,’ said Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA.

‘The idea that drunks and young drivers are going to get to the flashing lights after midnight and say “after you” is nonsense,’ he added.

They obviously don't have drunks and young drivers in Spain and France then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 16:39 
User

In fairness, the reason a lot of things work elsewhere is that they have had them up and running so long that they are used to them.
A trial will be an uphill struggle to get drivers aware of the change - especially when they leave the area in which the trial takes place.

Don't hold your breath!

What did surprise me was that the town which elected to have 20 everywhere limits came up with the idea of introducing this here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 18:39 
Life Member
Life Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
What did surprise me was that the town which elected to have 20 everywhere limits came up with the idea of introducing this here!

It's perhaps not all that surprising.

After all, the odd collision is unlikely to cause real damage or injury, as everyone's driving at 20. :roll:
Also, as driving at 20 gives you more time to react, collisions are unlikely to occur. :roll: :roll: :roll: