It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 01:12 
Site Admin

(Burnley) The Citizen - here
The Citizen- Peter Magill -Chief reporter wrote:
Speed limits to be cut on busy Burnley roads
By Peter Magill » Chief reporter 8:00pm Wednesday 27th July 2011

SPEED limits along three of Burnley's busiest roads are set to be cut.

The A646 Rossendale Road, home to Lancashire's second most prolific speed camera, will be reduced to 30mph.
The move will affect the whole route between Cemetery Lane and Creswick Avenue, including Rossendale Road and Glen View Road.
Centenary Way will also be reduced from 40mph to 30mph and part of Burnley Road, Hapton, between Bentley Wood Way and Manchester Road, currently national speed limit, will be cut to 50mph.
Objections have been lodged over the changes by drivers, particularly for the Rossendale Road and Centenary Way proposals.

They say the A646 is a primary route between East Lancashire and West Yorkshire, and should be left alone.

And the affected part of Centenary Way mainly incorporates the flyover, which is lightly developed and has adequate pedestrian crossings already.
But the changes have raised no opposition from Lancashire Police or Burnley Council.

In a report, environment director Jo Turton said: “The A646 Rossendale Road and Glen View Road is a primary route with a key strategic importance.
“However the high accident rate, level of development and use along this section suggests that a 30mph speed limit may be more appropriate than the existing 40mph limit.”
And she told county councillors that Centenary Way was used by many pedestrians.
Mrs Turton added: “The A671 is subject to considerable development in the Burnley town centre area.
“A large superstore and bus station is situated along the relevant length with vehicle access points on both sides of the carriageway operated by a signalised junction.”
County highways have agreed to review a plea by Hapton Parish Council to consider further speed changes along the A679.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Here's a view of Centenary Way. Note the large number of pedestrians and dense development on both sides :roll:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 

Perhaps someone should actually take Mrs Turton to the road in question and actually show her exactly what road she is talking about. I'm sure a lot of these LA Highways people, don't even live in the area and just have a phrase book of "appropriate" phrases to put in place as their whim goes.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.