Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 13:52 

Quote:
jomukuk wrote:The signs needed to establish a legally binding speed limit are proscribed by law.
Somehow I do not think home-made signs are in the regulations, and they may even make the speed limit void.

As this one is outside the highway boundary, is highly unlikely to be realistically confused with genuine signs, and in any case only reinforces the applicable limit, I very much doubt whether that would be the case. It might be more valid if they could reasonably be interpreted as genuine signs and contradicted the actual limit.

As were the ones in Leighton, they looked like genuine 30MPH signs only with a black border and were fixed to telegraph poles and trees at the side of the road. The only thing missing was a 30MPH entry sign. They didn't confuse too many people but a few stuck to them. There is now a "legal" 30MPH (in the eyes of Salop council if not the Dept for Transport) which virtually no one sticks to and the average speed through there is still over 40MPH. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leighto ... 9,,0,-0.07

The pub's been closed for years .

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 19:23 

Look what I've found..... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leighto ... -0.07&z=14

This is what a council made "advisory" sign looks like.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 21:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Just had a look at this post and HMM - if I erected ( put up ) a large sign in my front garden ,I wonder how fast planning would be in sending me letters to pull it down :roll: :roll: :D
So what's the difference with this one - I'd have tought he's need planning permission to put that up .
But hey,ho - that's the noddies in the planning department - one law for someone building something -another for some speed kills nut cases .Perhaps someone might like to complain to the relavent council that this has no planning permission

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 03:11 
Site Admin

graball wrote:
Look what I've found..... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=leighto ... -0.07&z=14

That is illegal ! They really are completely unfit for purpose and clearly have no idea what they are doing.

They got away with the large 30mph as 'art' and he is an 'artist' apparently ! the TV claimed that he was going to over-paint it in a month;s time. Well that Ok then - NOT ! :shock:
Ah OK then will get every artist in the Country to paint what ever speed they think is right for their street ! Perhaps a few 50mph or 80 mph or even 100 mph signs will appear - will they turn a blind eye to them ? Shameful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 16:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

graball wrote:

There are proper 30 advisories on approach to the village. Silly NIMBYS!

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
That is illegal ! They really are completely unfit for purpose and clearly have no idea what they are doing.

They got away with the large 30mph as 'art' and he is an 'artist' apparently ! the TV claimed that he was going to over-paint it in a month;s time. Well that Ok then - NOT ! :shock:
Ah OK then will get every artist in the Country to paint what ever speed they think is right for their street ! Perhaps a few 50mph or 80 mph or even 100 mph signs will appear - will they turn a blind eye to them ? Shameful.

Those signs certainly aren't prescribed.
I've just had a look down that road (thanks Google). No (genuine) speed limit signs and no street-lamps for hundreds of meters in either direction.
It is certainly an NSL road.

If this sort of thing becomes acceptable, then it won't be long before others reply in kind: by erecting homemade :nsl: signs (which are far easier to produce ...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 20:16 
Site Admin

I wonder how a 30mph, 40mph, etc might be clearly defined so that Councils can have a solid reference to guide them by.
It is in a mess IMHO and all over the Country many varied uses make it harder to predict the hazard density.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 21:18 

The Dept for Transport Guidelines (2006) which can be downloaded online, should set the guidelines but Councils feel that they can ride roughshod over these and know better than the Dept for Transport.

In the case of Leighton (and many similar hamlets) we argued that it wasn't a "village", as defined in the guidelines because it has no where near the number of frontages required (20).They replied saying that they counted properties off the main road and linked by side roads, as "frontages"...comedians one and all.