The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 20:26 
Site Admin

DfT & Road Safety Minister Mike Penning :
DfT & Mike Penning wrote:
Designated drivers rewarded this Christmas
Designated drivers will be rewarded in more than 8,000 pubs and student union bars across the country as part of the THINK! Christmas drink drive campaign, launched today by Road Safety Minister Mike Penning.

This year's THINK! Christmas drink drive campaign will include radio advertising, posters in pub washrooms, online search activity and targeted Facebook advertising to remind drivers of the personal consequences of a drink drive conviction. THINK! have also teamed up with Coca-Cola's Designated Driver campaign to offer drivers across the country free soft drinks at venues this Christmas as part of the Driver Friendly campaign.

Drivers will be able to find participating venues using the 'Coca-Cola ‘Pub Finder’ tool, either online or via their smart phones.
THINK! campaign activity will be aimed at young men aged 17-29, who are consistently over-represented in drink drive casualty figures.

Mike Penning said:
"The number of drink drive deaths has fallen by more than 75% since 1979, but drink driving is still devastating lives with around 250 people killed in collisions where a driver was over the limit last year.
"Our THINK! campaign makes it clear that drivers who get behind the wheel over the limit risk losing their licence as well as facing a fine and even a prison sentence.
"We are also teaming up with Coca-Cola and pub chains across the country to reward designated drivers as part of our Drive Friendly initiative, as well as reminding people of the consequences of getting a drink drive conviction.
"No one wants to spend their Christmas in a police cell. My message is clear: don't drink and drive."
Jon Woods, General Manager, Coca-Cola Great Britain and Ireland said:
“The holiday period is coming around quickly and everyone is beginning to make their plans. With the majority of adults preparing to visit a pub or bar over the festive period we are proud to be partnering the Government’s THINK! Initiative to reward responsible drivers. Designated Drivers provide a fantastic service by helping their friends and family get home safely at the end of a night out. That’s why we think it is so important to recognise and reward them. To do this we will be offering a free Coke or Diet Coke to drivers, ensuring they have a good night too and to encourage others to do the right thing.”

The THINK! drink drive campaign runs from 1 December 2011 to 1 January 2012.
Designated drivers should ask at the bar about how to take advantage of the buy one, get one free offer on Coca-Cola or Diet Coke at participating venues from 9 December 2011.

For more information and the facts visit the THINK! website.

Follow the Highway Code
Facebook
Twitter
Email
RSS

Update your subscriptions, change your password or email address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your subscriber preferences page. You will need to use your email address to log in.
If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact support@govdelivery.com. All other enquiries can be directed to customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk.
This service is provided to you free of charge by the Driving Standards Agency, an executive agency of the Department for Transport.
Whilst I am sure Coca-Cola see many extra profits, this is a good idea and potentially an excellent way to make people think before they drive when buying a drink or two.
They might have called it 'Think B4 U Drink' Campaign ... or 'Think & Drink' ?

Attachments:
Think1white.jpg
Think1white.jpg [ 8.82 KiB | Viewed 5771 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 21:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
They might have called it 'Think B4 U Drink' Campaign ... or 'Think & Drink' ?

OR- Don't drink , THINK .
Or get rid of the patronising Brake "THINK " association ,and get round to EDUCATION .
Every Rail safety course I was on in the past years before retiring had a section on drinking ,educating us on how long it took to get it out of the system ,and the effects on judgement etc . There was also a section on drugs , with a warning on the seeds used on multi seeded breads .Problem was that no data was given on how long before it was out of system ( possibly to catch out those who used it occasionally)-not that it bothered me ,except for any time I might get a lungfull on a night out .But from my taxi driving days -it's easy to identify .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:13 
Site Admin

I think the 'Think' is OK it has been around far far longer than Brake ever has been. Helping people to think and drive/ride is a good thing which I know you agree with. Needing snappy titles is more easily remembered, and it gets the message across very easily and very quickly. Think implies remember ... be responsible .... do the right thing by others ... all good IMHO. :)
It is usually a 'Think !' with an image to help remind ... about the specified subject.
I don't like the way that 'drink' (a basic human need), is now linked almost exclusively with alcoholic drinks, and I'd like to see that change, but is very unlikely to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 19:51 
User

Thunk b4u Drunk ? :D