Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 01:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 13:34 

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012 ... eras-move/

Quote:
Speed data collected by West Mercia’s Safer Roads Partnership showed more than half of all vehicles – 57 per cent – exceeded the 30mph speed limit.

It also showed 15 per cent were travelling at speeds above 38mph.

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012 ... z1lVgnxUyp
-

Of course, in an ideal world, the authorities should be questioning whether the speed limit is too low, especially as the 85percentile would suggest a 40MPH limit.

I must admit, that as someone who does travel the road quite a few times in a week, that I rarely see anyone go above 30MPH on it and would question these figures (maybe a few do 32ish MPH) but I doubt they will catch many over the 35MPH threshold. I haven't seen any speed measuring strips on this road so wonder how they got their figures???? Dodgy speed gun maybe?

Then again , one has to wonder what part of Holyhead road they are refering to. This part of Holyhead road used to be NSL then 40MPH then had its limit reduced to 30MPH only a couple of years ago. It is also the part of road, I believe, that Mark whatsis name, the speeding copper was doing about 80MPH on. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=oakenga ... 6,,0,-0.18

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:43 
Site Admin

Article added for reference to debate.
People power sparks Telford speed cameras move
Sunday 5th February 2012, 10:00AM GMT.
People power sparks Telford speed cameras move

People power will see mobile speed cameras introduced on a road in Telford – after checks revealed nearly six out of every 10 drivers were speeding.
Holyhead Road in Oakengates is to become the latest ‘Community Concern’ site – areas where mobile speed cameras are set up in response to a series of complaints from members of the public.
Speed data collected by West Mercia’s Safer Roads Partnership showed more than half of all vehicles – 57 per cent – exceeded the 30mph speed limit.
It also showed 15 per cent were travelling at speeds above 38mph.
Concerns were previously raised by residents to police and members of Oakengates Town Council about speeding traffic.
In response to this a new site where a mobile speed camera will operate from is being launched in the hope of slowing down drivers.
Local police have also distributed wheelie bin stickers to residents to remind drivers of the speed limit on Holyhead Road and encourage them to slow down.

Katy Jenkins, of the Safer Roads Partnership in West Mercia, said: “The aim of the Community Concern enforcement programme is to respond to requests from people for speed enforcement.
“We regularly receive requests from local people for action to be taken against speeding drivers especially in 30mph zones.
“Residents on Holyhead Road have told us that they are worried about the number of drivers exceeding the 30mph limit and in response to this we are introducing a new speed enforcement site on the road.”

The site will be operational for a minimum period of six months from this week and data will be collected during this time to assess the impact of enforcement on speeds and driver behaviour.
From those figures I agree it looks like the 85th%ile are treating the road as a 40mph one with around 15% higher ... Perhaps it has not long been a 30mph road ?