Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 08:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 13:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Policing at a profit is bad news IMO. Business >> profit >> targets >> quotas etc
Furthermore, how far will the mission creep? I think the regulars of this site can see it coming ...

Sky News wrote:
Report: Police Forces To Outsource Patrols

Two police forces are considering outsourcing neighbourhood patrols and some investigations to private firms, according to the Guardian.

The paper said West Midlands and Surrey police have asked security firms to bid for contracts, worth £1.5bn over seven years, to run some services that are currently carried out by officers.

Successful firms would have a wide range of responsibilities, including detaining suspects and responding to incidents, but would not be able to arrest suspects.

In a briefing note sent to companies, which was seen by the newspaper, all services that "can be legally delegated to the private sector" are potentially up for contract.

Administrative roles, such as legal services and managing forensics, are also set to be outsourced in the sector shake-up.

The move will spark fears about privatisation within the police force.

Ben Priestley, Unison's national officer for police and justice, told the Guardian: "Bringing the private sector into policing is a dangerous experiment with local safety and taxpayers' money.

"We are urging police authorities not to fall into the trap of thinking the private sector is the answer to the coalition's cuts.

"The fact that the Home Office is refusing to publish its business case - even under FOI (Freedom of Information Act) - speaks for itself.

ritics say privatisation will mean that the police will be less accountable to the public, with people unable to go to the Independent Police Complaints Commission over problems.

"The only winners are private companies and shareholders who make profits at the expense of local services," Mr Priestley said.

A West Midlands police authority spokesman told the newspaper: "Combining with the business sector is aimed at totally transforming the way the force currently does business - improving the service provided to the public.

"The areas of service listed in this notice are deliberately broad to allow the force to explore the skills, expertise and solutions a partnership could bring."

A Home Office spokesman said: "Private companies will not be able to arrest suspects, and they will not be solely responsible for investigating crime. Many forces already use the private sector to run custody suites so that officers can be deployed elsewhere.

"We support the police in considering the value of private sector partnering to achieve cost savings and better services for the public."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 13:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Comes hard on the heels of the reports from Lincs. Strangely it's not so long ago since West Mids and Warks Police were looking to share some resources .Haven't seen any more in local press .Can't see what's wrong with just having one UK Police force .Don't cut the blokes on the street ..Think just how much money could be saved by axing all those with masses of braid on their caps .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
Policing at a profit is bad news IMO. Business >> profit >> targets >> quotas etc
Furthermore, how far will the mission creep? I think the regulars of this site can see it coming ...
As you know Steve, I work in the public sector and see a mission race; never mind creep.

Absolutely, it's bad news! As I have said before, trying to get more of better from less always leads to calamity of one sort or another. I am all for efficiency and hard work but it inevitably ends up 'breaking people'.

Oh well, let the fiasco commence... :banghead:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 15:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Steve wrote:
As you know Steve, I work in the public sector and see a mission race; never mind creep.

Absolutely, it's bad news! As I have said before, trying to get more of better from less always leads to calamity of one sort or another. I am all for efficiency and hard work but it inevitably ends up 'breaking people'.

Oh well, let the fiasco commence... :banghead:

It started some time ago ,TONE- It's the "Dave & Nick" comedy act . Incidentally ,google Clegg and you get some interesting results .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 03:20 
Site Admin

I fail to see what advantage it can possibly bring ? If all they can provide is 'eyes on the street' but have no real power, what is the point?
When their reporting back to the 'real coppers' won't this risk a Chinese whispers?
How can it possibly be 'less costly'? When you outsource services one major part you lose is control, cost and labour efficiency and precision plus with additional managers many things become replicated. As for Police for Profit how is that possibly cheaper ? Plus why should our taxes go towards a profit for Companies providing one of most basic fundamental public services.
Community officers are ill thought or and plastic police so what might this make these people, rubber police as all they will do is bounce around from one manager to another before a decision might be made ? Did they come up with this idea in the pub ?

Why do some of these people think that just because it is 'change' it must be 'good' ! :shock:

Considering we have had 'a citizens arrest' why cannot a 'pretend copper' not arrest someone on this basis ?
Plus if as the report suggests they collate tapes and data then how much is security going to be eroded, even further ? Don't we have far too many MoP who can already access too much personal data, and now potential crime data too !? Criminals will be delighted I should think!
This is a dangerous game to play for no benefit. Many questions a policeman who is responsible to research a case will be removed to an office and that is no good at all ! Plus how many people will be fooled into thinking they are talking to police representatives, when in fact it is a fraudulent company?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 16:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's been going on for a long time, due to costs .We used to have two Police officers (CBO) in this area . Now, from information ,we've got one plastic,who we see when the moon turns pink.At one time we had a show of force, when the old beat Sergeant mobilised a stack of Specials for a patrol down our street, and sent yobs into a panic. He parked vans outside houses suspected of dealing, and made life hell for yobs. Who's going to replace him?
I could rant on about how councils depend on tenants to provide evidence in anti social cases,risking their safety with no thanks( because it's cheaper than getting in the pro's ), but I won't .