All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 14:59 
User

:gatso2: From the MSN News -

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/cl ... ar-BB9Mf4L

Clarkson gets points on license

Press Association
MSN wrote:
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is to receive points on his driving licence after being caught speeding, he has admitted.

The outspoken car enthusiast said he was caught by a fixed camera travelling between Whitby and London and was driving too fast to be offered the option of taking a speed awareness course.

It comes just weeks after he and his team created a storm of controversy for using an offensive number plate in Argentina while filming the BBC Two show's Christmas special.

Writing in his weekly Sun newspaper column he said: "Last month I wrote in a blind fury about how many speed cameras I'd encountered on a drive from Whitby to London.

"Well, it seems one of them got to me.

The top gear presenter has been embroiled in controversy this year© PA The top gear presenter has been embroiled in controversy this year

"Sadly, I was going too quickly for the speed awareness course to be an option. Which means I'm getting some points on my licence. My first in 30 years."

Clarkson, one of the BBC's highest paid presenters, was strongly criticised in 2008 for claiming to have driven 186mph on a public road, adding: "The speed limit's annoying for people who have a job to do.''

Earlier this month Clarkson and his fellow Top Gear presenters Richard Hammond and James May sparked protests in Argentina after being accused of deliberately driving a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL, which locals suggested referred to the Falklands conflict of 1982.

The presenters, who were forced to abandon filming by outraged people, said they bought the car - complete with the number plate - in the UK because it was the best available vehicle of its type and the number plate had not been considered.

The programme has already run into problems this year, with one edition found to be in breach of Ofcom's broadcasting code for the use of a racially-offensive term during a two-part special filmed in Burma, following a complaint from a viewer.

And Jeremy Clarkson apologised after footage, that was never broadcast, emerged in which he appeared to use the n-word, although he denied actually saying it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 18:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, I read this today too CJG.

I have mixed feelings about him, so not sure I'm happy, sad or just indifferent about it.

I'd like to know how fast he was going and the speed limit.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 23:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:

And then how may children/ pets/ kittens/ floppy rabbits he killed. :shock: And then , JUST how sending him a ticket in the meantime will reduce deaths on our roads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 23:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

And then how may children/ pets/ kittens/ floppy rabbits he killed. :shock: And then , JUST how sending him a ticket in the meantime will reduce deaths on our roads.

Well, if he was in a Bugatti doing 200mph in a :30: Dave..... :wink:

I was just curious; that's all :-)

(Hope you're well?)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 04:03 
Site Admin

Well the claim is for 186mph which is extremely fast. IIRC the highest speed for a ticket was 172mph.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed ... ed_Kingdom

But it's now 180mph in a police chase :
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

Although going abroad claims higher speeds : http://jalopnik.com/the-eight-biggest-s ... 1108358708
Other than the 300mph claimed 'jet' incident which is still one of conjecture!

The use of speed and the ability and skill of specific drivers is going to come under some scrutiny I'm sure. An interesting case.