It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 14:36 
Site Admin

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/new ... _page.html

You can't sue force - now pay its costs

Mar 11 2004

By Derek Bellis Daily Post

A DEPUTY mayor was yesterday ordered to pay £775 to North Wales Police after failing to sue the force over its "poor performance". Jeff Evans, from Holyhead, was told to pay the force's legal costs which amounted to more than three times the council tax rebate he was seeking.

The 52-year-old last month served a court summons on Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom - claiming the quality of policing was unsatisfactory. Yesterday, the youth worker failed to persuade a district judge at Llangefni to reverse a previous decision to strike out his claim for a £223 rebate of his police precept covering two years.

Mr Evans, chairman of the local crime and disorder partnership, decribed his case as a David and Goliath battle for justice. District judge Owen Williams told him :"I have no doubt you are concerned about the safety of residents and people in Holyhead."

But he added :"There's nothing that leads me to believe you have a legal basis for your claim. To succeed in a claim you have to have a legal basis for bringing it."

Mr Evans said he spent his wife's housekeeping money in bringing the claim, seeking better policing for the public. He told the court he was not in a position to pay the costs.

Mr Evans, who says he has wide-spread support from across Britain, told the court: "It wasn't an easy decision to take out a summons but I owed it to myself, my family and the community because failure to take this action would have resulted in me failing all concerned."

One of his complaints was that police failed to respond after a group of youths poured cider over his 27-year-old daughter 100 yards from a police station.

Matthew Holdcroft, representing the force, said there was no contract with the chief constable to be enforced. While Mr Evans was worried about him-self and property "unfortunately the law doesn't allow recovery damages for mere fear".

After the hearing, which lasted less than an hour, a disappointed Mr Evans said: "I've had support from all over the country from people concerned about policing. People have been proud someone is prepared to take on such an establishment.

"I still believe I was right to take this action. I will continue to monitor North Wales police to ensure that the best policing will be available to meet the needs of the public."

"It has cost me personally and to be honest I feel the level of costs against me in what was a small claims court is an absolute scandal."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 01:25 
New User
New User

Just remember, its all about safety....NOT! Thieves operate in this area!.

Profile Send private message