Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:53 

Shocking stuff, seems that if solicitors advise people on the law as it stands, they're dishonest and should be avoided at all costs according to the police. How ironic is _that_!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb ... 500694.stm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solicitor slated for speed advice

Police are warning drivers to ignore the advice of a solicitor who has been advising motorists of ways to avoid speeding penalties.

Ian Giggal has been quoted on a biking website which advises motorists of loopholes in the law.

It claims that simply not signing police paperwork could get people off a fine.

Derbyshire Police say his advice is incorrect and that drivers could face bigger fines if they take his advice.

Hefty fines

Mr Giggal said: "Occasionally if a client comes to me and says well I've got good reason not to be prosecuted for this or I've got good reason to avoid the penalty points that will follow, then certainly I would proffer any advice I could that would avoid a prosecution."

Derbyshire Police has said not filling in paperwork will mean motorists end up in court and may find themselves facing court with bigger fines and more points put on their licence.

Ian Windmill from the Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership said: "I'm a little bit surprised, certainly, and also very disappointed that a local solicitor would publish information on their website which is clearly incorrect."

But, Mr Giggal, who practises in Staveley in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, claims it is his job as a solicitor to find ways of avoiding the law and that he has also used the method successfully.

He said: "You shouldn't speed, however, having been caught speeding then as a defence lawyer, it's my duty to investigate ways of avoiding the consequences of that."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine what they'd think of good old JJ or Nick Freeman!

Regards,

Carl

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 13:16 
Site Admin

Hi Carl,

Thanks for posting that. I first heard of it an hour ago and did a Google search on Mr Giggal's name. I telephoned to offer my support and hoped to get a quote, but Mr Giggal is in court today. I left my phone number etc and a message of support.

What planet are these cops on?

Profile Send private message