Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 14:53 

http://www.kenilworthtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=698&ArticleID=1686453

Quote:
AUG 10: Driver's protest after speeding fine
An 84-year-old cancer sufferer is calling for a change in the speeding penalty system after he was ordered to travel 350 miles for an "awareness" course.
Frederick Tyler, of Laburnum Avenue, is too ill to make the journey to Dorset but police have refused to let him attend the same course in Warwickshire.
The distressed pensioner said: "I have not committed a big crime and I feel harassed by letters from the police. It is very intimidating and it is something I can do without at the moment."

Mr Tyler, who has suffered from thyroid cancer, went on holiday to Weymouth in May and was caught by a speed camera doing 36mph in a 30mph area.
He was given a £60 fine and instead of penalty points on his licence was told to go on a speeding awareness course.
However, since then he has undergone an operation and is starting radioiodine therapy. As a result his doctor has told him not to make any long journeys
He has therefore had to cancel his course twice. Dorset Police have told him to ring them in September with an alternative date and if he cancels again he could end up paying a £1,000 fine.But Mr Tyler said he doesn't know when he will get better.
He said: "In this day of electronic wizadry I cannot believe there is no reciprocal between police forces. It is exactly the same course and I can't understand why they can't make arrangements for me to take it in a different location. I am not well enough to travel that distance and take this course.
"I told my doctor about it and she couldn't believe it and said she would give me her medical support. And I was lucky enough to be put in the bed next to a Rugby magistrate. I told him the story and he said he had never heard anything so diabolical. He said he was going to bring it up in his next meeting with colleagues."
Following a call from the Weekly News a spokesperson for Dorset police said they would look into the matter.

Profile Send private message