Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 14:31 
New User
New User

This is a polite warning regarding the two Truvelo speed cameras northbound on the A1 near Grantham between the A52 (Barrowby) junction and the Gonerby Moor round-a-bout.

Until about the end of September (2004) the first of the cameras was incorporated within a 'temporary' 50mph limit. No idea what for, as now roadwork signs or cones were ever present when I ever went that way.

Anyway, the 50mph signs have now gone and I just got zapped by the first camera doing an indicated 73mph. Now no other cameras have ever gone off when I pass them at about this speed, so I can only assume that either:

1. The camera hasn't been recalibrated from when it was in a 50mph limit.
2. The camera is set more or less dead on 70mph.

It could be that my speedo is under reading but this is unlikely considerring I've never been zapped before now.

Not sure what will happen if I get an NIP. Surely it should be set to 79mph?

Anyway, not sure about the second camers, as I made sure I was dead on 70mph but be warned.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited by beakynb on Wed Oct 13, 2004 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 17:02 

I think you will have to wait for the NIP.

Car speedos are far from acurate. If you are lucky you may find you were doing 70 and the camera was set at 50 so you could be off the hook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 17:14 
New User
New User

Lets hope so BUT if it was set at 50mph, how can I prove it should have been 70mph?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 17:18 

beakynb wrote:
Lets hope so BUT if it was set at 50mph, how can I prove it should have been 70mph?

Get conformation in writing as to when the limit was removed. That should be easy. Do it now!
Go throug the highways agency/local authority not the scamera squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 18:19 
User

I believe those two cameras were installed during the reconstruction of the entry/exit road to the equestrian centre.
Whether the limit has been raised back to 70mph for cars or not, don't know, I haven't used that road in months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 19:11 

beakynb wrote:
This is a polite warning regarding the two Truvelo speed cameras northbound on the A1 near Grantham between the A52 (Barrowby) junction and the Gonerby Moor round-a-bout.

Until about the end of September (2004) the first of the cameras was incorporated within a 'temporary' 50mph limit. No idea what for, as now roadwork signs or cones were ever present when I ever went that way.

Anyway, the 50mph signs have now gone and I just got zapped by the first camera doing an indicated 73mph. Now no other cameras have ever gone off when I pass them at about this speed, so I can only assume that either:

1. The camera hasn't been recalibrated from when it was in a 50mph limit.
2. The camera is set more or less dead on 70mph.

It could be that my speedo is under reading but this is unlikely considerring I've never been zapped before now.

Not sure what will happen if I get an NIP. Surely it should be set to 79mph?

Anyway, not sure about the second camers, as I made sure I was dead on 70mph but be warned.

Cheers,
Nick

I would imagine that the cameras are at fault here. I used to work for a car components company and manufacters set speedos lower to over read. Saying that, alot of mods can apparantly affect the reading from your speedo such as tyre size and on bikes apparantly an other than standard size sprocket can make a difference to.
Will be interested to see if you get a NIP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 06:42 

I was going through the roadworks on the M42 a few months ago. The had moved the 50sign about half a mile but left the camera where it was. You go through the camera before the 50 sign.. :x
I wonder how many people who were busted did not realise so took the hit.

It's fraud as far as I am concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:54 
New User
New User

Well, I think I've found the division responsible for that stretch of road.

Apperently, it was 50mph for Network Rail works traffic to exit and enter the A1.
There is still a red works exit sign up but no 50mph signs at all. I know they were there two weeks before.

I am waiting for written confirmation of when the signs were took down. Thanks to Gizmo for prompting me to do it straight away.

Here's hoping that the NIP says 70mph or a bit less and I can then plead not guilty and see the money grabbing b£££££d's in court. Or perhaps it will never get that far.

I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 16:15 
New User
New User

OK. I've had a reply, so if you were travelling this way on Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th or Monday 11th (morning) October, you should be alright, like me, hopefully. Here's the reply.

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your email we received via the Highway Agency Information Line regarding the removal of the 50mph speed restriction at the above location.

The reason I am replying to you is that the company I work for AMScott are the Highways Agency Managing Agent Contractor. We look after the Network on a day to day basis for the HA.

Last Saturday morning the contractor responsible for the 50mph speed restriction Carillion Rail removed the speed restriction without letting AMScott or the Police know.

We are still trying to find out the exact time from them, but I can let you have these details when I find out. Therefore the speed cameras were still set for 50mph speed restriction.

The cameras were re set to 70mph speed limit on Monday 11th October at lunch. Lincolnshire Police have confirmed to me today that they will not be prosecuting any road users who were caught in the cameras over this period.

I will post the time they were removed on the Saturday when I find out.

Cheers,
Beaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 17:11 
User

Good to see they were quick to acknowledge the position and credit to Lincolnshire police likewise for confirming their intentions (perhaps they've learnt their lesson from their humiliation over the "speeding" organ donar driver!)

Notice though AM Scott refer to "speed" cameras not the usual PC name for them....