Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 18:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 06:54 
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6239786.stm

Speed camera fines reach £114.6m

Speed camera fines rose to £114.6m last year even though fewer fixed penalty notices were issued to motorists, a survey has indicated.

The total was 1% more than in the 2004/05 financial year because more fines were collected.

The Philip's road atlas company figures showed the areas paying the highest and lowest in fines per person were North Wales (£5.82) and Merseyside (£0.80).

The government said research had proved that cameras saved lives.

Some areas had a 100% rate for collecting fines, although Surrey managed only a 47% success rate.

There was a 48% increase in tickets issued in Leicestershire and a 30% decrease in Derbyshire.

The most money collected was in London, totalling £9.45m.

Speed camera expert Stephen Mesquita, who got the figures from the Department for Transport, said: "At Philip's, we find the regional inconsistencies very disturbing. They undermine the credibility of the scheme.

"Wales is the speed camera centre of the UK. Mid and South Wales comes second only to London for raising money through fines.

"And North Wales raises more per resident than any other area, although some midland counties, like Bedfordshire, Northants and Warwickshire, run it close."

He said the situation reinforced motorists' feelings that speed cameras were unfair.

A Department spokesman said: "We don't want drivers' money, we want them to slow down.

"Independent research has conclusively proved that cameras save lives, with around 1,745 fewer people killed or seriously injured each year at camera sites."

Tuesday is the last day for people to sign a petition on the Downing Street website calling on the prime minister to scrap speed cameras.

The petition, submitted by the Safe Speed campaign, already has more than 26,000 signatures.

LEAST MONEY RAISED
1. Merseyside £0.80
2. West Midlands £1.11
3. London £1.26
4. Surrey £1.33
5. Greater Manchester £1.39
(Average amount per resident)

MOST MONEY RAISED
1. North Wales £5.82
2. Bedfordshire £5.20
3. Northamptonshire £4.72
4. Wiltshire £4.61
5. Warwickshire £4.39
(Average amount per resident)

Great to see the 'scrapcam' petition getting a mention. But no internet link! I've rung them already and they will do it. Hell - they have done it already. Thanks Georgina!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:38 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

A Department spokesman wrote:
"Independent research has conclusively proved that cameras save lives, with around 1,745 fewer people killed or seriously injured each year at camera sites."

Blatant RTTM. I can't believe these people continue to get away with spouting this crap! :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:58 

Quote:
A Department spokesman said: "We don't want drivers' money, we want them to slow down.

I would rather they drive safely, by looking at the road ahead, and at a suitable speed for the conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:03 

smeggy wrote:
A Department spokesman wrote:

Blatant RTTM. I can't believe these people continue to get away with spouting this crap! :mad:

Exactly what I thought. They do it because they know there's nothing we can do about it. Surely there should be provision for prosecuting politicians for deliberately misleading us, especially when it's a matter of life and death? It's clearly in the public interest, far more than doing someone for 79 on the M6.

They're just so incredibly dishonest and I'm fed up with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:37 
User

bombus wrote:
They do it because they know there's nothing we can do about it. Surely there should be provision for prosecuting politicians for deliberately misleading us, especially when it's a matter of life and death? It's clearly in the public interest, far more than doing someone for 79 on the M6.

The RTTM thing needs to be hammered and hammered until it is driven home to the public. The way to approach it is to use the word 'lie' when talking about it, but to point out that it isn't a lie but a deliberate misdirection.

The RTTM glamorised figures keep getting used, so the causes and effects of regression to the mean with regards to speed cameras has to be repeatedly explained, time and time again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:43 
Site Admin

r11co wrote:
bombus wrote:
They do it because they know there's nothing we can do about it. Surely there should be provision for prosecuting politicians for deliberately misleading us, especially when it's a matter of life and death? It's clearly in the public interest, far more than doing someone for 79 on the M6.

The RTTM thing needs to be hammered and hammered until it is driven home to the public. The way to approach it is to use the word 'lie' when talking about it, but to point out that it isn't a lie but a deliberate misdirection.

The RTTM glamorised figures keep getting used, so the causes and effects of regression to the mean with regards to speed cameras has to be repeatedly explained, time and time again.

'Fraudulent' is a better word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:56 

B*ll*cks is an even better word :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I'm with Paul on this one; see my sig :)