The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 18:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 18:09 
Site Admin

large link

'No action' after car ploughs into house

Sep 24 2007

A man who ploughed a car into a house and caused £20,000 worth of damage will face no action from police, it was reported today.

Meanwhile the owner of the property was given a £60 penalty notice for driving at 35mph along the same street.

Householder Ray Owen, 52, from Holyhead, whose girlfriend Lynn Ashton was in the living room when the car crashed through the wall, said: "This car came across the road, over a garage forecourt and into my living room.

"It sent a paving slab through the window, nearly killed my partner and caused £20,000 worth of damage to my house."

Mr Owen, a clerk for Irish Ferries, said the Vauxhall Vectra careered into the terraced house as Miss Ashton was watching television last April.

"Lynn said it was like a bomb going off in the living room," Mr Owen told the North Wales Daily Post.

"A boulder from the garden came through the window and shards of glass narrowly missed her.

"He surely should be charged with careless driving, minimum, and some points on his licence.

"I was fined £60 for doing 35mph.

"There is a double standard, where they go for easy targets like myself but drag their heels with cases like this."

North Wales Police said there was insufficient evidence to charge the Vectra driver, who has not been named.

Mr Owen’s criticisms were today supported by anti-speed camera group SafeSpeed, which said the case highlights the Government’s mistaken road safety priorities.

Campaign founder Paul Smith, said: "The police have lost the plot, but I blame Department for Transport for messing up our road safety priorities in the first place.

"I share Mr Owen’s sense of outrage.

"We won’t get road safety back on track until Department for Transport comes clean about the failure of their policies."

A spokeswoman for the police said: "Mr Owen’s speeding conviction is nothing to do with the circumstances surrounding what occurred at his house.

"No further action is being taken against the driver because there is insufficient evidence."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 18:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Already being discussed here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15783