The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:45 
Site Admin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story ... 32,00.html

90mph police chief banned from driving

Rachel Williams

A chief constable who was Britain's most senior traffic police officer was banned from driving yesterday after admitting speeding at 90mph on a road with a 60mph limit. Meredydd Hughes, head of South Yorkshire police, who as chairman of roads policing at the Association of Chief Police Officers argued in favour of less conspicuous speed cameras to slow down traffic, was disqualified for six weeks and fined £300 for excessive high speed.

He did not attend the hearing at Wrexham magistrates court but apologised for the offence via his lawyer, and said in a statement there was no excuse for bad driving. He has received two fixed penalty notices, both now expired, in the 30-plus years he has held a driving licence.

Hughes, 49, who stepped down from his role at Acpo last month, was clocked speeding on the A5 as he drove home from a climbing trip in north Wales in May. "I recognise this is a significant breach of road traffic law and I have accepted my guilt and the punishment it merits," he said.

Paul Smith, of Safe Speed, said: "He is a hypocrite. He has failed to practise what he has preached."

Jools Townsend, of the road safety charity Brake, said Hughes's actions undermined the work of traffic police to protect the safety of road users: "He should seriously consider his position as a result."

Hughes said the driving conditions on the day of the offence had been good and there had been minimal traffic. But he added: "There is never an excuse for bad driving and I should have paid more attention to my speed." He remained convinced speed cameras were vital to reduce casualty levels. "Drivers who know they are guilty should plead guilty ... and I am proud to have at least lived up to that belief."

Total misquote. Morons.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What do you expect from the Grauniad?

Profile Send private message