Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 13:10 
Site Admin

I'm going to Inverness studio for a live phone in from 10am until 10:30.

I'll be "up against" Robert Gifford from PACTS.

Brake were booked, but when they heard I was on they ran away and Robert stepped into the breach.

That's not the first time Brake have done a runner when faced with me. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:51 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
I'll be "up against" Robert Gifford from PACTS.

You mean "that Robert Gifford" (or is it Roger?!) :lol:

Post subject: Link
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 18:04 
User

Linkage

Paul comes in at about 1 hour 9 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 20:42 

Well done Paul. I particularly liked that you got the last word :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:12 
Life Member
Life Member

Yes, that was a good session (even though interrupted by news/travel/sport rather too often).
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:50 

Meh :|

Y'know, this subject has been in the public's line-of-sight for quite some time now, and I'm just beginning to wonder if views are not already polarised beyond alteration; either you support speed camera use, or you're against them. The telephone callers to the show certainly appeared to have firm opinions one way or the other, none really struck me as being 'persuadable' to sympathise with the opposite one.
Either that or folks are just plain bored of talking about them. My workmates often see me reading and posting on the forum and when I explain what I'm contributing to and the rationale behind it, most just shrug and say something like..."used to get annoyed by them, can't be bothered now. Just obey the limit and you won't get fined".
"But there's more to it than that" I counter......but too late, interest in the subject has gone :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 15:47 
User

Rigpig wrote:
My workmates often see me reading and posting on the forum and when I explain what I'm contributing to and the rationale behind it, most just shrug and say something like..."used to get annoyed by them, can't be bothered now. Just obey the limit and you won't get fined".
"But there's more to it than that" I counter......but too late, interest in the subject has gone :?

Bide your time RigPig. I read this on a totally unrelated forum today...

Quote:
Now I have the greatest respect for the law and will admit to being stopped in the past (over 10 years ago now though) and have received in total 6 points though justifiably deserved and I did not fight or argue with these however after 7 years of a clean license (a little older now loll) in a wide clear open quiet road with no pedestrians or houses just trees the buggers had the scamera van parked just out of view behind some trees and it was 3 points and £60 fine now I would not mind but this used to be a 60 mph limit and in no way could I see any justification in me receiving 3 points £60 fine and a total hike in insurance premiums that will cost me over £500 over the next 5 years - yes 5 years
any reasonable copper would have let it go at worst with a producer or a slap on the wrist.

This is the reason a lot of people are not happy, if you do the crime expect the time as they say but this goes beyond a joke

speeding would have been 65 - 70 mph, a few seconds not looking at the speedo on a wide clear open road is 57 mph, so we get punished for making the smallest of errors

I could run of loads of statistics and tell you all about the fatal flaws in the devices used and the propaganda spouted out by the government, but what's the point - when you get unfairly treated you will come looking for answers www.pepipoo.com

Original thread.

With the gradiated fixed penalty system coming, and the zero-tolerance approach that will inevitably follow as a result, more of your 'ambivalents' will come looking for the answers........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 16:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Rigpig wrote:
My workmates often see me reading and posting on the forum and when I explain what I'm contributing to and the rationale behind it, most just shrug and say something like..."used to get annoyed by them, can't be bothered now. Just obey the limit and you won't get fined".

But do they genuinely obey the limit, or only in the vicinity of cameras?

The official traffic speed surveys show no reduction in the proportion of vehicles exceeding speed limits where there are no cameras.

In my experience it is still very rare indeed to find a driver in front of me making a serious attempt to stick to the limit, especially on wide-open "could be a 40" urban roads.

It's those workmates who are the people being done by Talivans.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject: Re: Link
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 14:04 
User

Mod wrote:
Linkage

Paul comes in at about 1 hour 9 minutes.

Does anyone have this as an audio file?

I started listening to it, after 1 hour 30 mins my PC crashed completely, now it's over a week since the program was aired, it's been replaced....