Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 18:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 17:54 
Site Admin

Debate with Andrew Farina Childs (for 20mph limits) and Joy Smith (pre-recorded comment) who has placed 20 mph areas around every school in E Port Talbot, and of course myself.

I could have got more points across and I am trying to improve with each interview.
Do tell me where you think I can improve, and put a point across better or use better phrases - I will welcome the support and feedback.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:45 
User

Is there a recording to listen to anywhere?

As far as I could tell from Pauls interviews SafeSpeed needs to be a lot less polite. I know it's hard for nice people to take that attitude but those arguing the opposite are often rude, will happily lie and talk over you. Be prepared to do 2 of the three back (obviousy lying being the thing not to do) to get your point across you need to be prepared to talk someone down when they are clearly wrong - dont let them be the final speaker in the interview, make sure you are the last one to be heard and the last thing you say should draw a line under the matter - if they continue then make sure to retaliate before the interviewer calls it off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm beginning to think that lying might be the best thing. After all, you hear untruth on the radio every day about Climate Change, Afghanistan etc.

Perhaps we should say that a hundred thousand people a year are involved in accidents due to speed cameras. Or a million ...

When asked to back this assertion up just insult the questioner by saying that they obviously don't understand. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:11 
Site Admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/s ... vans.shtml
or here

and got to Listen again - Tuesday then go to about 1:35

When I got into the studio - so you have an idea of what goes on - you do not know perhaps until the last minute who you are on with, I had no idea how long I was going to have to talk for ... and I understood it was a debate so, you have several things that you want to say, but you do not necessarily want to say everything in the first 1 minute, be impossible anyway ! ... because although you want to answer their question - or they can cut you off etc ...
My aims are to try to get respect from the audience NOT the other parties that I am being interviewed with. They are never going to believe you no matter how many facts you show them.
As I improve I can choose better points to get across, but, I always welcome help and thoughts and how I might phrase things better.

When I 'listen again' it is so easy to see what I should have said and could have said better ... too :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 13:49 

Claire,

That was exceptionally good.

Not just the content but the tone and wow.....what a voice :clap:

More of the same. You have the perfect opportunity to become the road safety voice of reason.