Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 16:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Derbyshire Post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 02:48 
Site Admin

For 25th Aug 08
Press Interview about the introduction of covert camera vans in their area, particularly motorbikes.

Pointed out the main disadvantages of cameras, and this requirement to use questionable tactics, that do nothing for road safety or do any good to the drivers / riders that they then send notices to. No one learns anything by this type of enforcement, and continues to divide the public / police rift (and so on ...).

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Derbyshire Post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Good stuff Claire - I think the "lessens respect for the police" (and hence the law) argument is a cogent one.

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 07:52 
Life Member
Life Member

link
Quote:
Van zooms in on speeding motorcyclists

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 29 August 2008
By Claire Lewis
A SECOND unmarked van with a hidden speed camera is to be used on Derbyshire's roads next week to catch motorists driving too fast.
The Star reported in May that a vehicle disguised as a battered workman's van had helped cut speeds on the county roads since it was first used at Easter, according to Derbyshire Road Safety Partnership.

Now the partnership is to start using a secADVERTISEMENTond van with a hidden camera. It has defended their use despite claims they breach Department of Transport and Association of Chief Police Officers guidelines, which refer to speed cameras being visible and well publicised.

Partnership manager Robert Hill said the rules allow 'discretion to use covert methods of speed enforcement.'

He denied the vans were a money-making scheme, claiming the fines go straight to central government.

"The vans are about encouraging motorists to drive safely all the time rather than slowing down for a camera."

They were targetting people speeding 'at the higher end, way above the limit.'

He said the vans are an attempt at getting motorcyclists to curb their speed. Bikers involved in most accidents on Derbyshire's roads.

Claire Armstrong, of national campaign group Safe Speed, said: "We are very concerned. This does not make road users safer - it makes them paranoid and makes them pay more attention to their speed, taking their attention from the roads."

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 
User

Claire is absolutely correct in that drivers become paranoid and give far more attention to their speedos than to what is happening around them! A few miles over the prescribed speed limit is nothing when drivers are aware of their surroundings and what is happening, however, driving to the speed limit and not being aware of what is happening around you makes a driver extremely dangerous - but this is happening all the time because of this indiscriminate use of covert camera's and unmarked police cars.

I lost all respect for the police a long time ago and they have done absolutely nothing to restore any respect over the years. Yes, they may well have a tough job, but they make it a whole lot tougher for themselves by alienating a huge chunk of the public who would have backed them up and supported them in the past.

If they want respect then, from the top down, common sense and discretion need to be exercised, not this concentrating on targets and figures that sees many people criminalised, far more harshly as well, than some that whittingly go out to commit a crime!

I am convinced that with modern vehicles and roads, far more accidents are caused by the underhand methods being used to try and 'catch drivers out' and by all the obstacles that are strewn along our roads these days in order to try an curb speeds. This may work for the majority of drivers, but the idiots just use them as a challenge!

It is also way past time that other road users, pedestrians, cyclists, etc, were made to take responsibiity for themselves and those they are responsible for and to stop putting the onus for everyone elses welfare onto the motorist alone! It amazes me the number of times I see an adult walking along a pavement with a small child between them and the traffic - how can this be safe? Also, the times I see cars parked at the side of the road and an adult getting a child or baby out of the car into the road instead of onto the pavement! It utterly brainless!

Whatever happened to common sense and education. Perhaps Common Sense should be top of the School Curriculum, as it seems to be sadly lacking in too many people these days!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 17:06 

Quote:
He denied the vans were a money-making scheme, claiming the fines go straight to central government.

So it's a money-making scheme (for the government) then? :roll: